Tre White decides not to opt out, everyone is beside themselves with excitement because we're all in need of any small nugget of good news these days. Who wants a drink?

Logic

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have one simple request. May have asked earlier, but not sure. It would be great if we as fans, and the media, get rid of the phrase “ he is putting family first”. 

to me , that implies every other father in the team/league that is not opting out is somehow a self serving scum bucket that is putting money over family.

Can we just amend to say I respect the decision all players make, whether to play or opt out, and support them in either decision!

I don't have any problem at all with a guy wanting to opt out, for any reason, and I'm not going to criticise them for doing so. 

I do believe though, that if White is saying that that's his reason (if it does come to it), then there's no real problem in calling it that.

I don't think that White is wanting to imply anything about anyone else, but I can see how some people can take it that way, but I also think that's making a mountain out of a molehill.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If he opts out I do not blame him on Bit. He has a Family to think about and needs to make a decision as a father and husband first.  And with that needs to make the decision his family thinks is the best decision for them. 

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who wouldn't love to tell their employer they don't think it's a good idea to come to work this year.....and here's my winter address to send me  my $150,000 salary!

And Next year I will pay it back. It is just a loan

Edited by MAJBobby

6 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I don't have any problem at all with a guy wanting to opt out, for any reason, and I'm not going to criticise them for doing so. 

I do believe though, that if White is saying that that's his reason (if it does come to it), then there's no real problem in calling it that.

I don't think that White is wanting to imply anything about anyone else, but I can see how some people can take it that way, but I also think that's making a mountain out of a molehill.

We had tweets from some of the Bills reporters, like say Matt Parrino, putting him on a pedestal saying “that’s the kind of father I want to be”... which on one hand, I get it... but I’ll admit that I immediately thought about all the other fathers on our team who opted in reading opinions like that, and I don’t think it makes them any less of a father.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Just take the phrase “ he is putting family first” out of it. 

are all the other players with kids not putting family first? Is McD being a selfish douche not putting family first? 

how bout the press and fans come out say “ man, I respect the hell out of Matt Barkley , he is putting family first and decided to not opt out” ....

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Pay him what he deserves and he’ll play. Love this kid and we need him to win it all

Yep he will take it and still opt out. Hmmmm see how that works. This isn’t a contract leverage thing. 

8 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

I do not believe for 1 second that it is about family safety. It is about money and a new contract push. 

Do deadline today for opt out. You really think this is about contract leverage. You know he could sign the Highest Contract in NFL History and opt out the very same meeting. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have one simple request. May have asked earlier, but not sure. It would be great if we as fans, and the media, get rid of the phrase “ he is putting family first”. 

to me , that implies every other father in the team/league that is not opting out is somehow a self serving scum bucket that is putting money over family.

Can we just amend to say I respect the decision all players make, whether to play or opt out, and support them in either decision!

Right on, Paul.  Pretending that guys opting out for “family reasons” are somehow better humans than those deciding to uphold their commitments to their teams and teammates is not helpful.  Guys can set up scenarios for their families to be quite safe, and since they will be getting tested regularly it significantly reduces the opportunity for an outbreak.  The risk won’t be completely eliminated, obviously, but it can be minimized.  If a guy just doesn’t want any risk at all he can bunker at home with his family, so be it, but I hope he doesn’t still go to the grocery store, a restaurant, Home Depot, etc., because his risk of picking up the virus there is going to be greater than in his NFL locker room.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Right on, Paul.  Pretending that guys opting out for “family reasons” are somehow better humans than those deciding to uphold their commitments to their teams and teammates is not helpful.  Guys can set up scenarios for their families to be quite safe, and since they will be getting tested regularly it significantly reduces the opportunity for an outbreak.  The risk won’t be completely eliminated, obviously, but it can be minimized.  If a guy just doesn’t want any risk at all he can bunker at home with his family, so be it, but I hope he doesn’t still go to the grocery store, a restaurant, Home Depot, etc., because his risk of picking up the virus there is going to be greater than in his NFL locker room.

I just hate that phrase .. “ he is putting family first”. I don’t doubt Tre , or any of the players that have opted out , have not decided that is in the best interest of their family. 

I also don’t doubt the guys who have decided to play have made that decision in the best interest of their family. But they are bing made to feel like they don’t have their families beat interest at heart. 

why not say I respect the hell out of Matt Barkley for putting family first and playing? 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Wizard said:

Makes sense unfortunately. He sits out the year and has even more leverage toward getting that huge payday going forward.

Smart move from a business perspective, especially with all of the uncertainty of a season and health matters.  He saw these recent paydays of top-shelf players and wants his cut, NOW.  This paycheck sets him for life and will want as much guaranteed money up front.

This season is still on the brink as far as being played, so worst case scenario for White is getting some money to hold him over until coming into next year's training came asking for the Brinks trunk.

Not a "Process" move, but this is White's one guaranteed shot a multi-generational wealth.

how does opting out help any leverage next year. It doesn’t if anything what it does is show how much of a talent he is in a very DB friendly McD Secondary system. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

how does opting out help any leverage next year. It doesn’t if anything what it does is show how much of a talent he is in a very DB friendly McD Secondary system. 

I agree no leverage.  And not to get way deep in the weeds , but pushing out till new media deals are done and new cap figured out could possibly be an advantage for the player. 

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I agree no leverage.  And not to get way deep in the weeds , but pushing out till new media deals are done and new cap figured out could possibly be an advantage for the player. 

the other thing is IF the cap is really going to be reduced by 20M or so like they are projecting next year. If anything Tre opting out would put the Leverage on the Bills. Now they get to do the deal with 20M less cap. 

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

No players should be criticized for making decisions they feel using the best interest of their family.  Covid is the real deal.

There is a case to be made the opting out is NOT the best interest of his family.

By real deal, what do you mean?  % wise, Tre/his wife and kids are extremely low.  If you are trying to eliminate all risk in life, how the heck would you ever live.

54 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

True..  Due to family health concerns ..... It's still an issue.   Do we need them to state all health issues?  

Children, teens and babies are dying.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Good luck with that conversation with your boss though...

I stopped long ago comparing Pro Sports to my job. The quicker everyone else does the easier it is to understand choices. 

also for the record my job allows me to work from home during this pandemic. So let’s compare can NFL players work from home??

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I stopped long ago comparing Pro Sports to my job. The quicker everyone else does the easier it is to understand choices. 

also for the record my job allows me to work from home during this pandemic. So let’s compare can NFL players work from home??

Nice...

Anyway..they don't have to.  They are taking 150--300K to not work at all. 

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 minute ago, zman44 said:

Well this stupid take didn’t age well.

Are that many people attacking him?  Most Twitter takes I see, along with posters here have been pretty respectful.  Even those who aren’t thrilled about his potential decision are being pretty tame, IMO.  

Head on over to the CJ Mosley takes from Jets fans if you want to see anger. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nice...

Anyway..they don't have to.  They are taking 150--300K to not work at all. 

They are taking a LOAN. So that falls on deaf ears. But they can’t work from home right seeing we are comparing.