Tre White decides not to opt out, everyone is beside themselves with excitement because we're all in need of any small nugget of good news these days. Who wants a drink?

Logic

7 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Makes sense unfortunately. He sits out the year and has even more leverage toward getting that huge payday going forward.

Smart move from a business perspective, especially with all of the uncertainty of a season and health matters.  He saw these recent paydays of top-shelf players and wants his cut, NOW.  This paycheck sets him for life and will want as much guaranteed money up front.

This season is still on the brink as far as being played, so worst case scenario for White is getting some money to hold him over until coming into next year's training came asking for the Brinks trunk.

Not a "Process" move, but this is White's one guaranteed shot a multi-generational wealth.

not really if he opts out everything gets pushed back a year.

52 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Makes sense unfortunately. He sits out the year and has even more leverage toward getting that huge payday going forward.

Smart move from a business perspective, especially with all of the uncertainty of a season and health matters.  He saw these recent paydays of top-shelf players and wants his cut, NOW.  This paycheck sets him for life and will want as much guaranteed money up front.

This season is still on the brink as far as being played, so worst case scenario for White is getting some money to hold him over until coming into next year's training came asking for the Brinks trunk.

Not a "Process" move, but this is White's one guaranteed shot a multi-generational wealth.

If this is financial then he's a great actor judging by his interview today.  He's just freaked out by the virus and how it will impact his family.  It's pry as simple as that.

31 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

The emboldened phrase, now and forever more, connotes so much more than it should. 

Certainly not an empathetic sentiment.

Used in this context it is fine.  Used as dismissing 150K plus deaths is completely different.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, SCBills said:

I'm pretty sure a season is happening.  If MLB can make it through the worst case scenario, the NFL is moving forward and not looking back.  

1 & 2 - yes, and yes. 

Hopefully Beane has Logan Ryan's number on speed dial.

Baseball's a safer sport. I mean, the catcher is required to wear a mask.

Tip your waitresses, folks, they work hard all night.. Sorry.

No, what happened with the Marlins is very far from the worst case scenario, very far. 

If I had to guess, I'd guess they don't make it all the way through, but it could easily go either way. The logistics are tougher for football, with larger teams and staffs and the fact that it's a contact sport.

29 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If this is financial then he's a great actor judging by his interview today.  He's just freaked out by the virus and how it will impact his family.  It's pry as simple as that.

Yup.

And I don't think either way, opt out or not, he gets more leverage. He's got a ton of it right now, in or out.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

It certainly won’t be easy to have a Top 5 defense without him,  but there’s still a lot of talent on this defense, and I expect Edmunds and Oliver to make big jumps this year, combined with a DL, that (IMO) will be much better at rushing the passer. 

Josh Allen has all the weapons he needs to operate a Top 10 Offense.  It’s up to him to get us there... and if he does, I think our defense is good enough to keep us in the conversation, even without Tre, EJ and Star.  

Ill admit, KC scares me to death without Tre, but I do still think we can beat Baltimore plus win the division. 

I think we still win the division because I believe NE is sub 500 this year,  but we could be a 9-7 or 8-8 playoff team without Tre. That isn’t get us home games and good seeding which we need if we plan to move up in the tleague and start owning that we are in our “window” now. I do think they must chase Logan Ryan if Tre is Out. 

6 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I think we have the best and the worst fan base in the NFL. Our fans are more passionate and loyal than any around but sometimes that comes out in hyperbolic criticism and selfish thinking. This is not a time for the latter. People have been mocking the Patriots opt outs. Not so funny when it hits closer to home? Tre is a family man, pure and simple. If he's smart enough at 25 to know his family will always be more important than anything and time, specifically time with his family is not something that has a monetary value. Get it? Do not ostracize the man for being a hell of a human being. It's probably part of the reason he's a hell of a football player. Make your decision Tre, we love you and want you to retire as a Bill. You represent the love and side of our fan base that is good.  

Nicely put.

Tre tends to lead with his heart. I love that about him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nicely put.

Tre tends to lead with his heart. I love that about him.

Yes Agree it’s beyond his skill, his heart is important it this team. I only see Logan Ryan having that component if they replace him. Just like Feliciano’s heart was important on offense. 

I honestly know is a guy a scared for his family and I believe he is truly is waiting for god to give him a sign.

If he had already made up his mind

1)he likely wouldn’t have been in the building the last few days

2)they certainly wouldn’t have put him on the podium knowing it would raise the price tags out there on replacements they might be negotiating with already who didn’t need to know the Tre info. 

3) if the team already knew he needed help for his family, the Bills org would be setting him up with help for his family and Pegula would be using private jets to fly family around and do whatever it takes to make his needs met. He is their most prized player after Josh.

5 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I get what you’re saying but he made it seem his decision would be based on the inconvenience it would cause to his family, girl and kids. Having no one there or anything to do. No help for 4-5 months vs health concerns of his family or kids.  Yet there are millions of Americans going through much worse, having to make much tougher decisions to just keep food on the table, pay rent and still actually have health issues.

He’s a millionaire, he can get help. The organization will get him and his family in the best situations they can. He could get a Nanny or have his sister in-law be there. But the situation dictates you keep it minimal and that’s it. No changing after tomorrow....  I just thought it may have been more.

An inconvenience is some of these military families that make next to nothing after joining, with kids, at some army post thousands of miles away from your family and you have to deploy for 15 months... Give me a million dollars, just 1. And I can sit on an island for 4 months with my family.

What statement are you responding to?

Did he claim that he was worse off than anybody else? Did he say nobody's going through anything worse? Did he use the word "inconvenience," because that sure sounds like what you think of what he'd have to go through, not a word he would use or intend or probably feel.

Are you making decisions based on whether your situation is worse or better than others? Is anyone? I know I'm not. In nearly any important decision it's very true that there are lots of people in better situations than me (Bill Gates, for example) and lots in worse (people starving to death in famine areas, for example), but that's not what I think about when I decide which city to move to or which job to take or whatever. IMO nobody thinks about that. We all make decisions based on most of the same factors ... the expected or possible outcomes for myself and those I love, whether the alternatives meet my moral standards for myself, etc. Whether or not I'm better of than others wouldn't enter into it for most of us, IMO. We are in a position and we look at that position and pick the best alternative.

Looks to me like that's what he's doing. Which is extremely reasonable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

Yes Agree it’s beyond his skill, his heart is important it this team. I only see Logan Ryan having that component if they replace him. Just like Feliciano’s heart was important on offense. 

I honestly know is a guy a scared for his family and I believe he is truly is waiting for god to give him a sign.

If he had already made up his mind

1)he likely wouldn’t have been in the building the last few days

2)they certainly wouldn’t have put him on the podium knowing it would raise the price tags out there on replacements they might be negotiating with already who didn’t need to know the Tre info. 

3) if the team already knew he needed help for his family, the Bills org would be setting him up with help for his family and Pegula would be using private jets to fly family around and do whatever it takes to make his needs met. He is their most prized player after Josh.

How does that work?

Nothing has happened yet, and if he wants to opt out, I would be disappointed, but he has a right to do it without criticism.  I don’t buy he’s doing this to push a contract extension.  He probably if not opting out would get one at the end of this season.  They use that 5th year option either as a negotiating ploy for the team, or because they are not sure on the player.  They are sure on him so the negotiations would have started in the Spring 2021.  He opts out, he waits another year as most teams won’t extend after three years. Jamal Adams didn’t get one and is living on his current contract, just in Seattle.

I hope he does play, but am not going to say anything negative about him if he doesn’t.

The Pegulas should ask Tre and all the players and coaches what could they do more to make everyone feel safer.  A extra bonus for players and coaches to help deal with covid , say $50K each could help and show they care.

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The argument that military people spend months away from their families and so football players should just get on with it is nonsensical. 

What are you trying to say that there's a difference between a group that signed up for a job that specifically entails that and a group that didn't??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Wizard said:

I hope he sits out a year and we win a SB without him !!!

ps - would he still get a ring ? 

Edited by Putin

I have one simple request. May have asked earlier, but not sure. It would be great if we as fans, and the media, get rid of the phrase “ he is putting family first”. 

to me , that implies every other father in the team/league that is not opting out is somehow a self serving scum bucket that is putting money over family.

Can we just amend to say I respect the decision all players make, whether to play or opt out, and support them in either decision!

• Like (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have one simple request. May have asked earlier, but not sure. It would be great if we as fans, and the media, get rid of the phrase “ he is putting family first”. 

to me , that implies every other father in the team/league that is not opting out is somehow a self serving scum bucket that is putting money over family.

Can we just amend to say I respect the decision all players make, whether to play or opt out, and support them in either decision!

Good point. 

Also implies that Joe at the factory, who doesn’t have the luxury of calling in for a year and 150g’s is somehow less dedicated to his family cause he goes back to work when his boss calls to work his twelves and make his $13 an hour. 

• Like (+1) 6