Tre White decides not to opt out, everyone is beside themselves with excitement because we're all in need of any small nugget of good news these days. Who wants a drink?

Logic

18 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

I'm fine with him posturing for a new deal. Go for it. Pay the man. We want him here long term anyways and he's worth every penny. 

Listening to him it didn't sound like that was even on his mind but you never know.  I think he's opting out unless Beane/McDermott can convince him otherwise.  What a backbreaker.

Edited by Doc Brown

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Listening to him it didn't sound like that was even on his mind but you never know.  I think he's opting out unless Beane/McDermott can convince him otherwise.  What a back breaker.

I wonder if McBeane will even try to convince him.  Could be some liability there if he ends up getting sick and then comes out saying he felt pressured to play.  Just based on what we've seen from McBeane, I would bet they have told all the guys, "do what is best for you and your family" and likely left it at that as far as trying to convince guys to not opt out.  Again, I have no idea for sure, but just my thoughts.

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am surprised more elite players are not opting out. It won't hurt his value. May as well play it safe. And odds are the season will be a train wreck or partially canceled anyway. 

Working at home, NFL Network turned down, no volume...every time I look up, the list of players opting out seems to be growing fast today...nobody of Tre'Davious caliber yet

5 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I wonder if McBeane will even try to convince him.  Could be some liability there if he ends up getting sick and then comes out saying he felt pressured to play.  Just based on what we've seen from McBeane, I would bet they have told all the guys, "do what is best for you and your family" and likely left it at that as far as trying to convince guys to not opt out.  Again, I have no idea for sure, but just my thoughts.

Your family basically has to quarantine for five to six months if he wanted to see them and that's weighing on his mind.  He mentioned the false positive with Stafford and that had him freaked out.  The NFL's lack of a plan and pressure they're putting on these guys to make a big decision with a deadline sucks.

Can Bills Mafia come up with a #staytrestay hashtag on twitter?  Our cb's without him will do six feet of social distancing from the WR's on accident.

Edited by Doc Brown

4 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Yes, I don't think GM's are going to try to talk players out of it...

• Like (+1) 1

It would really be a shame if nurses, doctors, and essential workers started opting out of their jobs.

Baffles me how a professional athlete can opt out while others are truly risking being exposed to the illness.

So if he opts out, is he not going to leave his house or see anyone till a vaccine comes?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

Contract chatter - He said he is not in any hurry to get a new contract done. He said 'I am not hurting for money'. SO, how is this him leveraging for a new contract?

Family chatter - Someone said something about him not being with his family for 5 months. That's not the case. His concern is that his family and children would need to remain on quarantine for the duration of the season. He doesn't want that to happen. Again, stated in the interview/article.

Jealous non-athlete chatter - He is not you. You are not him. He is working within the framework that he has. You have to work within the framework that you have. Yes, if we were all independently wealthy with an endless list of options, that would be great. That is not reality. This is in no way an attack on folks that have lost their jobs due to the pandemic.

I see him opting out tomorrow.

I agree with most of this. 

My issue with him not playing, while others are back at work, isn't a Tre White criticism (he has every right to make a decision on what's best) but more of an eye-roll when others try to explain it away acting like the issues players face aren't exactly what everyone else is facing. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Your family basically has to quarantine for five to six months if he wanted to see them and that's weighing on his mind.  He mentioned the false positive with Stafford and that had him freaked out.  The NFL's lack of a plan and pressure they're putting on these guys to make a big decision with a deadline sucks.

I still don't get the Stafford thing...didn't he test negative, then positve, then 2 neagtives, in the space of like 3 days?

17 minutes ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

This is ridiculous, I’m an ICU nurse and these players are the healthiest population and if they are concerned about their kids getting it they too aren’t susceptible to it. If anything the players need to stay away from their parents. Enough of this bs scare tactics. Most of the population has it or had it and they didn’t even know it. 

You're trying to say that over 160M Americans have had covid lol?

I too don't understand players opting out of the only concern is themselves and young children.. as there clearly is not much to be concerned about. But that's a pretty ridiculous claim you made. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

So he wants a new deal? I don’t completely disagree with that. 

The thing about this season, now especially with covid cases , opt outs, and this new false positive issue is even if you do well it will instantly comes with a built in asterisk. 

Im not saying we’d win a championship but even if we did it would feel like a pretty greasy first championship. 

First, I’d pay Tre.  Not even a question.

I dont necessarily agree with the super bowl being Greasy.    If you beat a superior team, but they had injuries its still a win.  Beat a superior team because of a bad call, its still a win.  You can only play with what’s given at the time, and with whatever resources are available.  So although I’d love to win a Super Bowl in a “normal” year, winning one in the middle of a pandemic under totally different stressors, might actually have a bit more flare-at least it will always be a bit more memorable!  

Now if its 7 on 7 and flag football that’s a totally different story.....

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Listening to him it didn't sound like that was even on his mind but you never know.  I think he's opting out unless Beane/McDermott can convince him otherwise.  What a backbreaker.

They won’t try to convince him not to. It’s just that kind of year. 

btw despite this bad news, it is a great interview if anyone didn’t  get a chance to listen 

35 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I watched the Super Bowls too, I wouldn’t kick the championship out of bed for eating crackers. But it will definitely come with a stigma. 

Are championships that are won with certain players not playing because of injuries come with a stigma?

I'm seeing a lot of gum-flapping and complaining over the possibility someone else's decision affects their entertainment. It's his decision, let's leave it at that. Athletes don't owe you anything and likewise you owe them nothing.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

This is ridiculous, I’m an ICU nurse and these players are the healthiest population and if they are concerned about their kids getting it they too aren’t susceptible to it. If anything the players need to stay away from their parents. Enough of this bs scare tactics. Most of the population has it or had it and they didn’t even know it. 

I would like to ask, to the reporters calling him a great family man for making this decision, does that mean the other 2,840 players that have not opted out don't care about their families?  Of course I think Tre loves his kids and family.  But give me a break.  So do all these guys.  Lets not make them (or their fans) feel like they're doing something wrong by playing.

Personally, I think it's not the fear of the virus these guys have, it's the lives they're going to be asked to live during the season. 

I think they know they are at zero risk. 

They don't like that there won't be fans. 

They don't like that they'll be tested and constantly watched isolated and quarantined over this.  They know what we all know.  It's not a threat to them but this all sucks.  All the protocols.  Everything. 

Edited by Big Blitz

22 minutes ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

I have met "nurses" like you. Your opinion is no different than anyone else here. Throwing out the big "N" label gives you clout.

FCOL