Ex Packer and Cardinal OT Tootie Robbins succumbs to Covid 19

stuvian

Taking precautions to protect yourself and those around you is not a big deal.  Some people act like it is the end of life as we all know it.  Living in Florida, I am well aware of groups of people undertaking risky large group behaviors at vacation homes and other places.  These people apparently don't feel threatened by this behavior and don't feel like they are becoming a threat to those around them.  I just look at them as being selfish and maybe a little uninformed.  Even so, as long as I am doing the things that I know I need to do, I should remain relatively safe.  The people doing the risky things are generally within their rights and I don't see it changing in the foreseeable future.  Although most stores and businesses in my area now require masks to be worn in order to have access to their place of business. Fortunately for all of us, there are several vaccines progressing positively through trials with likely availability later this year.  

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I disagree with virtually every “fact” asserted in this post.  

The greatest damage that has and will have come from this virus (or rather our response to it) is the baseless fear has been instilled in  a generation of humans, who are being trained by the media and by brain-dead politicians to regard their fellow humans as walking biohazards.  

Fine.  Then shelter at home for as long as you like, and wear a mask every time you emerge from your “shelter”.  Just don’t try to force others do likewise.

Wearing a mask to help others?  Americans don't do such stupid things.  You worry about yourself brother! 

1 hour ago, CaliBills said:

I honestly have no idea how you believe that is what people will look at others after this is all said and done.  

When you drive a car, you generally trust other drivers not to drive chaotic or drive impaired, but yet you still wear your seat belt which is the law - a law accepted by ALL U.S. Governments.  Why is it a law, to prevent more casualty  in the case of an accident or someone who is not careful and drives without regard of others.

Why are masks important and should be enforced for the current situation, is because of people like you that refuse to wear a mask that has no regard for others health.  

This isn't your mamma's flu.  This is something new, and a lot of people act like they know best.  

But keep doing your thing, please though, if you get COVID 19 and have complications.  Do not leave your house, do not go to the hospital. Save that bed for someone that tried to protect others.  

Seat belts are proven beyond a doubt to save lives; masks aren't, and neither are forced closures of schools and businesses, which have never before in history been imposed on such a scale to contain a respiratory illness.  There is zero cost associated with wearing a seat belt; that's not the case with masks and the other measures that have been mandated by our rulers.  In fact, there was never a serious effort to try to measure the short or long-term costs of school and business closures on those effected by them or on society at large.

The main problem is that the media has been entirely dishonest about how this virus affects different demographic groups.  Although there is still much that is unknown, the evidence so far is that, for the vast majority of people, CV19 is no more dangerous than the seasonal flu, and for the group of people we obsess over on this website-- healthy people 35 and under--it is far less dangerous than the flu.  The relatively large number of healthy young athletes opting out of the NFL season shows that the media's campaign has succeeded, and/or that a lot of guys didn't really want to play football.    

15 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Ughh...the real scary thing is going to come when current players start dying from it, or having to retire due to complications or heart/lung/organ damage

Yup: https://www.newser.com/story/294404/covid-heart-problem-sidelines-red-sox-pitcher.html

The pneumonia you can wrap your head around, but the possibility that is may be a vascular disease is a lot to handle. 

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I disagree with virtually every “fact” asserted in this post.  

The greatest damage that has and will have come from this virus (or rather our response to it) is the baseless fear has been instilled in  a generation of humans, who are being trained by the media and by brain-dead politicians to regard their fellow humans as walking biohazards.  

Fine.  Then shelter at home for as long as you like, and wear a mask every time you emerge from your “shelter”.  Just don’t try to force others do likewise.

The greatest damage from the coronavirus will be all the Americans who have died when they didn't need to ... or the American families that are bankrupted by astronomical medical bills from battling coronavirus ... or the Americans who permanently lose their jobs or the businesses large and small that close permanently. 

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Taking precautions to protect yourself and those around you is not a big deal.  Some people act like it is the end of life as we all know it.  Living in Florida, I am well aware of groups of people undertaking risky large group behaviors at vacation homes and other places.  These people apparently don't feel threatened by this behavior and don't feel like they are becoming a threat to those around them.  I just look at them as being selfish and maybe a little uninformed.  Even so, as long as I am doing the things that I know I need to do, I should remain relatively safe.  The people doing the risky things are generally within their rights and I don't see it changing in the foreseeable future.  Although most stores and businesses in my area now require masks to be worn in order to have access to their place of business. Fortunately for all of us, there are several vaccines progressing positively through trials with likely availability later this year.  

Nobody in the US has the "right" to deliberately put another person in danger.  It's why there are all kinds of laws in every state in the Union and on the federal level making reckless actions that endanger others illegal and punishable. 

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The greatest damage from the coronavirus will be all the Americans who have died when they didn't need to ... or the American families that are bankrupted by astronomical medical bills from battling coronavirus ... or the Americans who permanently lose their jobs or the businesses large and small that close permanently. 

Nobody in the US has the "right" to deliberately put another person in danger.  It's why there are all kinds of laws in every state in the Union and on the federal level making reckless actions that endanger others illegal and punishable. 

Other than the people who died because of Cuomo's disastrous nursing home policy, there isn't a scrap of evidence that any American has "died [from CV19] when they didn't need to."  And I'm guessing there will be far, far more people who will have permanently lost their jobs and businesses than families "bankrupted by astronomical medical bills from battling coronavirus."

The notion that people living their lives without masks is "deliberately putting another person in danger"--like driving drunk or indiscriminately firing a gun in public--is frankly just insane and is not supported by any scientific evidence. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Seat belts are proven beyond a doubt to save lives; masks aren't, and neither are forced closures of schools and businesses, which have never before in history been imposed on such a scale to contain a respiratory illness.  There is zero cost associated with wearing a seat belt; that's not the case with masks and the other measures that have been mandated by our rulers.  In fact, there was never a serious effort to try to measure the short or long-term costs of school and business closures on those effected by them or on society at large.

The main problem is that the media has been entirely dishonest about how this virus affects different demographic groups.  Although there is still much that is unknown, the evidence so far is that, for the vast majority of people, CV19 is no more dangerous than the seasonal flu, and for the group of people we obsess over on this website-- healthy people 35 and under--it is far less dangerous than the flu.  The relatively large number of healthy young athletes opting out of the NFL season shows that the media's campaign has succeeded, and/or that a lot of guys didn't really want to play football.    

LOL.. hard to take you seriously after this one. ? I guess you think you're smarter than basically every health organization around the world? 

I'd also love to hear you explain how the "cost" of wearing a mask is higher than the cost of wearing a seat belt. ?

Edited by Billsrhody

36 minutes ago, mannc said:

Other than the people who died because of Cuomo's disastrous nursing home policy, there isn't a scrap of evidence that any American has "died [from CV19] when they didn't need to."  And I'm guessing there will be far, far more people who will have permanently lost their jobs and businesses than families "bankrupted by astronomical medical bills from battling coronavirus."

The notion that people living their lives without masks is "deliberately putting another person in danger"--like driving drunk or indiscriminately firing a gun in public--is frankly just insane and is not supported by any scientific evidence. 

It is easy to dismiss the threat until it effects you directly.  I hope you never have to lose someone you love or care about because someone more ignorant failed to do what is right to protect your said loved one.  

17 hours ago, Chaos said:

I wear  a mask and basically isolate myself nearly all the time. I also understand that pretending every death could have been avoided is pure nonsense. 

These deaths were inevitable with a virus having a R 0 of nearly 4. But if there was a national mask mandate way back in April the amount of deaths would've been drastically reduced. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

These deaths were inevitable with a virus having a R 0 of nearly 4. But if there was a national mask mandate way back in April the amount of deaths would've been drastically reduced. 

And how is it affecting the numbers now, when there is a 92% mask compliance? 

You mean back when Fauci and the CDC were telling people not wear them?

• Haha (+1) 1

The transmission rate is below 1.34 in every single state in the US right now. 21 states are at or below 1.0 (including Florida, Texas, and California). Was it really close to 4 at some point?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1119412/covid-19-transmission-rate-us-by-state/

Edited by MJS

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

There are no universal laws that require people to wear masks, wash their hands, use hand sanitizer, social distance, or avoid many risky activities.  In the absence of specific enforceable laws to the contrary, those related risky actions undertaken by people are not illegal and are therefore the right of those people to behave in those manners.  In this environment, the people undertaking risky behaviors by definition are increasing their own risk and through their association with other people are increasing the risk for those other people as well.  That is why it is important for those of us who care, to take those precautions to protect ourselves because you can't be certain that everyone is taking precautions to protect us.  If your premise were true, virus tracking would have already rendered hundreds of arrests for infecting others through reckless behavior.  As we all know, that just hasn't happened and isn't likely to.