Jim Harbaugh: Crazy Genius or Just Crazy?

DrDawkinstein

This is NOT a satire site or article:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-football/2020/08/115520/jim-harbaughs-weird-insistence-on-wearing-cleats-inside-cost-michigan-a-five-star-commitment

Jim Harbaugh's Weird Insistence on Wearing Cleats Inside Cost Michigan a Five-Star Commitment

...five-star offensive lineman prospect Isaiah Wilson.

Wilson – a first-round pick in 2020 NFL Draft – was once a heavy Michigan lean, with 91 percent of the 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions calling for him to commit to the Wolverines over Georgia and Alabama.

Then, Jim Harbaugh happened.

“Harbaugh did something weird,” Wilson told Bartsool Sports' Bussin' With the Boys podcast. “He did something super weird.”

Turns out, Harbaugh was extremely insistent on his shoe game.

“Remember when they first got the deal with Jordan?” Wilson said. ”He just wouldn’t take off his cleats. He came to my in-home visit with cleats on his feet. And I have hardwood floors. And he’s just walking around with cleats bro. After that, it was over.”

Yes, Jim Harbaugh missed out on the No. 16 player in the country because he wore cleats inside his house, for some reason, and refused to take them off.

How disrespectful is it to refuse to remove CLEATS on someone's hard wood floors? What a dummy. Classic Harbaugh.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe he had a hole in one of his socks. 

I truly think he has CTE

I'm not a big "blame everything on CTE" guy (not saying you are either), but it does make a lot of sense here. The rest of his family all have good heads on their shoulders, and he always seems a little... off.

He took a ton of hits in his career, right?

At the same time, he's always been a dick too. So maybe not. lol

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not a big "blame everything on CTE" guy (not saying you are either), but it does make a lot of sense here. The rest of his family all have good heads on their shoulders, and he always seems a little... off.

He took a ton of hits in his career, right?

At the same time, he's always been a dick too. So maybe not. lol

If you watch his press conferences, it really seems like he’s not all there 

On 8/4/2020 at 1:49 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

This is NOT a satire site or article:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-football/2020/08/115520/jim-harbaughs-weird-insistence-on-wearing-cleats-inside-cost-michigan-a-five-star-commitment

Jim Harbaugh's Weird Insistence on Wearing Cleats Inside Cost Michigan a Five-Star Commitment

How disrespectful is it to refuse to remove CLEATS on someone's hard wood floors? What a dummy. Classic Harbaugh.

Did he ask him to not wear his cleats?

8 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Did he ask him to not wear his cleats?

No idea, but crazy either way.

He reportedly wears his cleats on their plane as well.

Imagine being the assistant coaches that worked really hard and got this 5* OT to be a heavy Michigan lean. You send in the big gun, the head coach, for a home visit to help seal the deal and afterwards the recruit is just done with you. All that work gone because in an effort to show off a brand deal he lacked basic courtesy.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No idea, but crazy either way.

He reportedly wears his cleats on their plane as well.

Imagine being the assistant coaches that worked really hard and got this 5* OT to be a heavy Michigan lean. You send in the big gun, the head coach, for a home visit to help seal the deal and afterwards the recruit is just done with you. All that work gone because in an effort to show off a brand deal he lacked basic courtesy.

This whole story sounds quite contrived.

So he wears cleats on the plane, big deal.

Also, this player turns down Michigan, just because of the coach wearing cleats in his house? -_-

8 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

This whole story sounds quite contrived.

So he wears cleats on the plane, big deal.

Also, this player turns down Michigan, just because of the coach wearing cleats in his house? -_-

If it were any other coach, I'd say maybe. But Harbaugh is nuts. This is pretty on-brand for him.

And when you're a 5* recruit, you get to make those decisions. If ANYTHING seems off, it's best to cut that school off your list. This is a major decision. Possibly the biggest decision of their entire lives.

Michigan fan, I take it? :D

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If it were any other coach, I'd say maybe. But Harbaugh is nuts. This is pretty on-brand for him.

And when you're a 5* recruit, you get to make those decisions. If ANYTHING seems off, it's best to cut that school off your list. This is a major decision. Possibly the biggest decision of their entire lives.

Michigan fan, I take it? :D

Yes, regardless of that, if this guy can't play for a school due to what the coach wears for shoes, then I don't know what to think.

Harbaugh is an odd dude, but he knows football, and he can recruit. Again, I think there is more to this story. The sports media, mostly the online media, loves to have fun to bash Harbaugh whenever they can.

Stable genius.  

And harbaugh is interesting.  He has won at every stop yet seems to “choke” in the big spots.  I think he’s probably a lot and can wear thin at times.

i also think Michigan completely overrates themselves as a football powerhouse.  They act like they are Alabama when they are closer to Pittsburgh. 

• Like (+1) 2

Well, if I was the dad of the kid and he refused on my hardwood floors to take off cleats (not odd, freakin stupid), I would give him a folding chair in the garage and have fun.  This wasn’t the kids hardwood floors as I don’t know many 17-18 yr. old kids living in their own apartment.  This was his parents house.

Actually I probably would have ticked off my son, and just said, thanks for stopping by.  Then I would tell my son, you don’t want to be coached by a headcase like that.

I liked him as a player (Captain comeback was his nickname of memory serves) and enjoyed him coaching, but it makes sense why he ticked so many people off in SF.  Can you imagine you dropped 10k on hardwood and a coach visiting refuses to take off his cleats.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:22 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Stable genius.  

And harbaugh is interesting.  He has won at every stop yet seems to “choke” in the big spots.  I think he’s probably a lot and can wear thin at times.

i also think Michigan completely overrates themselves as a football powerhouse.  They act like they are Alabama when they are closer to Pittsburgh. 

You nailed it with Michigan.   I honestly think Michigan is what brings Harbaugh down, not the other way around.   They completely destroyed their program when they fired Carr and replaced him with Rich Rod.   The expectations are too high for Harbaugh, a good year for Michigan should be 8 to 10 wins, not getting blown out by Ohio State, and playing in a respectable bowl game.  They simply dont have the johnnys and joes to roll with Clemson, Alabama or Ohio State.   They should be happy to compete with teams like Florida State, Notre Dame, and Florida. 

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 6:06 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I truly think he has CTE

He might. I was at a game when he got sacked 6 times by Hansen, Bruce, and Bryce Paup. They were some of the hardest hits I ever saw. One was an all out bull rush by Hansen who hit him with everything he had Yolo. I was sure he wasn't getting up. Bryce was a vicious hitter and clobbered him as well.  BADOLBILZ and other posters were at this game and it has been discussed on this board. To this day I don't know how he survived those hits.

Harbaugh is one of the toughest people I have ever seen.

On 8/10/2020 at 11:22 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Stable genius.  

More like Texas

On 8/12/2020 at 12:44 PM, thenorthremembers said:

You nailed it with Michigan.   I honestly think Michigan is what brings Harbaugh down, not the other way around.   They completely destroyed their program when they fired Carr and replaced him with Rich Rod.   The expectations are too high for Harbaugh, a good year for Michigan should be 8 to 10 wins, not getting blown out by Ohio State, and playing in a respectable bowl game.  They simply dont have the johnnys and joes to roll with Clemson, Alabama or Ohio State.   They should be happy to compete with teams like Florida State, Notre Dame, and Florida. 

I have to disagree with you.  I believe Harbaugh hurts Michigan more.  They certainly are not among the elite for a good number of years since Carr.   Carr's overall record was ok, but they had a knack for beating the SEC (7-2 in bowl games).  

Harbaugh was supposed to return UM to that level.  He's failing miserably and I have a hard time blaming the university.  I don't follow college ball too closely anymore, but it always seems he's having issues with the level of play of his QB's, defense, etc mid-season.  There's articles like this (admittedly a bit dated)  https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2016/01/26/michigan-football-recruiting-jim-harbaugh/79352270/  

All those crazy recruiting tactics end up looking pretty disingenuous when you're willing to turn around and cut good numbers of verbal commits

Otherwise, I sat down to watch last year's OSU-MI game  and Harbaugh showed me one of the most poorly coached team efforts I had ever seen.   MI was disciplined enough, but base defenses, bland offense and zero adjustments to what OSU was doing.  Not impressed with him as a coach these days.  And Michigan's kind of stuck with him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.