Will we ever see another season like 1998 in terms of QBs?

I know Doug Flutie is a polarizing figure on these boards but I thought it was cool in the 98 season he was already in his mid 30s when he came into arguably his best years.   Same with Vinny Testaverde that year with the Jets.   Was in his mid 30s and a journeyman QB that finally came into his own.

Heck I even remember Steve DeBerg that year being resigned at age 44 with the Falcons as that was the trend at the time.

Is today’s NFL built for that at all?  I know the question might seem a bit out there but as I get older I love redemption stories 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

I know Doug Flutie is a polarizing figure on these boards but I thought it was cool in the 98 season he was already in his mid 30s when he came into arguably his best years.   Same with Vinny Testaverde that year with the Jets.   Was in his mid 30s and a journeyman QB that finally came into his own.

Heck I even remember Steve DeBerg that year being resigned at age 44 with the Falcons as that was the trend at the time.

Is today’s NFL built for that at all?  I know the question might seem a bit out there but as I get older I love redemption stories 

I vividly remember that year, and was crazy to watch.  Deberg I think only had something like 2 INTs that year if I am not mistaken even.  Both him and Testaverde I believe were in the MVP convos at some point as well.  

Yeah, I think this will happen again.  Maybe not see 3 in the same season, but this does happen.  I mean sometimes it just takes getting a chance to play, or into the right system, etc.  Look at Tannehill (I know he's younger) but he got into a better situation and went from an after thought to taking over in Ten, leading them to playoffs, and looking up a sizable contract.  Other notable guys were Chris Chandler, Rich Gannon, Trent Green, Jeff Hostettler, etc.  

You could also make a case for career retreads of Cunningham in Minnesota, Jeff George in Minnesota, Vick in Philly, Kurt Warner in Arizona for examples.

I know several of those guys had big early success in their careers, so maybe they don't fit your criteria as accurately.  But Cunningham was considered kind of done when he got to Minny and Vick came back after a long absence and was actually a better QB and not just a runner when he got his shot in Philly.  Warner was definitely considered washed up, especially after failing to hold the job over rookie Eli in NY with a pretty pedestrian performance.  He was supposed to just be a bridge/tutor for Leinart in AZ, but came in and found his dominance again and took them to a SB, a loss that was one of the greatest SB's ever played.  

The ultimate story of this was probably Steve Young.  Seen as a bust, and then stuck behind one of the GOATS, he was a forgotten man before emerging to be what I consider one of the top 5 QB's in NFL history, and definitely top 10 IMO.  

• Like (+1) 2

I've been gamblin' hereabouts for ten good solid years,
if I told you all that went down it would burn off both of your ears.

Goes to show, you don't ever know.
Watch each card you play and play it slow,
wait until that deal come round,
don't you let that deal go down, no, no.

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, eball said:

The way all of the rules are designed to protect QBs, there's no reason to believe more won't be able to play into their late 30s/early 40s.

Didn't Brady just turn 43?  That SOB may play for ever....Earl Morrall played until he hit the social security retirement age or something like that.....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I've been gamblin' hereabouts for ten good solid years,
if I told you all that went down it would burn off both of your ears.

Goes to show, you don't ever know.
Watch each card you play and play it slow,
wait until that deal come round,
don't you let that deal go down, no, no.

Lotsa Dead conversations around this place lately. Love it!

2 hours ago, Don Dokken said:

It’s JaMarcus’s time to shine!

"Smell it through the bag, baby."

image.png.990eb0fec2519d114bf81002de6b1890.png

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Lotsa Dead conversations around this place lately. Love it!

Not sure if it's because nobody is really going to shows because of covid, or because it'll be 25 years since Jerry died, but this is the most I've seen people posting really heartfelt stuff during Days Between (his bday Aug 1st and his death Aug 9th). 

Not why I posted that lyric, just felt right to reference a song about a gambler whose been at it for ten years and is looking for their last shot...coulda gone with Loser too for sure, but wanted to go with the optimistic version to match the vibe of the thread

I always think of the guy in Loser to be the same guy as in Deal, just a few years later, perhaps on his way to going down to the docks of the city, where his about to meet August West...

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I still remember the pics they kept showing of Steve DeBerg’s nasty, gnarled surgically repaired finger. It was the finger equivalent to Alex Smith’s leg. I think they would have better sense now, and show that finger less. 

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The ultimate story of this was probably Steve Young.  Seen as a bust, and then stuck behind one of the GOATS, he was a forgotten man before emerging to be what I consider one of the top 5 QB's in NFL history, and definitely top 10 IMO.  

I think I gotta go with Jim Plunkett for ultimate comeback QB, AlphaDawg. A Heisman winner at Stanford, Plunkett was picked first overall pick in the draft by New England, only to fade out after a few seasons. He was traded to 49ers and waived a year or two later. Picked up off the street by Raiders as a 3rd stringer, he  became the starter during the 1980 season, 9 years after he was first drafted. He then started 6-7 seasons and won two Super Bowls, one as MVP. He's still sometimes mentioned as a hall-of-fame candidate. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I think this will happen again.  Maybe not see 3 in the same season, but this does happen.  I mean sometimes it just takes getting a chance to play, or into the right system, etc.  Look at Tannehill (I know he's younger) but he got into a better situation and went from an after thought to taking over in Ten, leading them to playoffs, and looking up a sizable contract.  Other notable guys were Chris Chandler, Rich Gannon, Trent Green, Jeff Hostettler, etc.  

Chris Chandler was a highly skilled QB and I think that he would be considered great if he played in the league today, almost like a Drew Brees. The problem was that he was getting murdered out there. The hits and the resulting injuries really took a toll on him. It was sad watching him at the end but again, in this NFL; I think that he would be an exceptional QB.

Jmo.

10 hours ago, maddenboy said:

is this a backdoor "Give Josh a few years before we write him off" post?

I thought it might get seen as an EJ Manuel isn’t done yet thread from some lol.

But no in all seriousness I was a guy that was a late bloomer in life.   This as well with understanding life can beat you down in many ways at times 

So as I said I love those kind of redemption stories 

• Like (+1) 1

Matthew Stafford anyone?  I know he's been a starter for a while now but, despite a few descent runs to the playoffs, I can't say he's ever blown anyone away.  Maybe 2020, coming off the spinal injury, will be the year?

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I vividly remember that year, and was crazy to watch.  Deberg I think only had something like 2 INTs that year if I am not mistaken even.  Both him and Testaverde I believe were in the MVP convos at some point as well.  

You could also make a case for career retreads of Cunningham in Minnesota, Jeff George in Minnesota, Vick in Philly, Kurt Warner in Arizona for examples.

I know several of those guys had big early success in their careers, so maybe they don't fit your criteria as accurately.  But Cunningham was considered kind of done when he got to Minny and Vick came back after a long absence and was actually a better QB and not just a runner when he got his shot in Philly.  Warner was definitely considered washed up, especially after failing to hold the job over rookie Eli in NY with a pretty pedestrian performance.  He was supposed to just be a bridge/tutor for Leinart in AZ, but came in and found his dominance again and took them to a SB, a loss that was one of the greatest SB's ever played.  

Are you talking about 1998?  DeBerg definitely was not in the MVP conversation.  

My only memories of Deberg was when the Bills played a “hot” KC team in the 1991 playoffs.  The plan was going to be for the monster attack of Barry Word to run roughshod over the Bills defense the same way that the Giants did in the Super Bowl.  The Bills completely stuffed the attack and battered Deberg bad.  I still remember the shot of him wincing in pain when trying to warm up his arm leading to the appearance of the legendary....Mark Vlassic!

I also remember Deberg in Miami back when Mitchell and Marion were hurt.  He seemed so ancient back then, but he was only 39!!!!

22 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I sure hope not b.c you listed all garbage QBs.