Massive explosion rocks Beirut

BillsFan4

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

She is 100%, but her dad was (barely) born in the states. I’ll never forget my first Thanksgiving with her family while we were engaged. Out comes one dish after another, after another, after another......and I keep asking “what’s that?” It’s THANKSGIVING!  Finally a turkey that had been cooked about a day too long showed up at the end. An eye opener for sure! 

She’s got all the recipes, but it’s very labor intensive. She’ll do it on special occasions and invite our close friends. Atlanta has a great Lebanese shop/restaurant (Leon International) between us and her brother in Greenville, SC. She orders ahead and picks up a feast on her way to visit. They are ALL about the food! 

Turkey shawarma > sex

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Maybe you’re not doing it right???

:)

Nope, I do it perfectly. Chew, chew chew... NEXT! Seriously, whenever I'm in a big city I hunt down the best shawarma joint and frequent it every day. By the time I leave, I look like a python that swallowed a calf.

• Haha (+1) 1

@Augie I’ve never been to a holiday/reunion/event w my Lebanese side that WASN’T all about the food ? 

And yes, most of the traditional dishes are very labor intensive, that’s why they only show up at holidays these days. The older generation is slowly leaving us, but my wife and I try to learn all we can, while we can!

There’s a Lebanese restaurant in Niagara Falls, “755 Lounge”. From Lebanon thru Toronto to NF. Amazing authentic cuisine and the family that owns/operates are very nice people.

• Like (+1) 1

I doubt that the ammonium nitrate sat in a warehouse for years. It's a port. Lots of activity. Just purring out an idea.  There have been lots of explosions  in Iran recently, supposedly done by  Iranians against the regime.   Iran is backing Hiezballah. Could rigs be the same group doing this to stop Hezballah?

4 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Yeah this is my takeaway too. There are entire generations over there that don’t know what peace and stability is, and that’s sad for any populous no matter the geography.

I’m Lebanese on my mom’s side, hope your wife knows all the family recipes! My gram pushing 90 still makes killer grape leaves, taboulleh & kibbeh for holidays. 

Father in law’s family is all Lebanese. His sister makes some mean kibbeh. My mother in law was Irish but learned to make grape leaves from FIL’s mom and they were awesome. We grow grapes in the garden Just for the leaves!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

From Reuters - 

JUST IN: Lebanon's internal security chief tells reporters the blast was in a port area with highly explosive material, not explosives

Hmm - I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but wouldn't highly explosive material be considered "explosives"?

Not necessarily.  Lots of explosive things have other uses, such as fertilizer.

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

There was some video where you can see in the fire some flashes going off that look like fireworks. I don't think that's all they were doing in that building, that explosion didn't look right......

Yeah, there were some explosions but you didn't see fireworks I don't think.  This is video of a fireworks disaster in the Netherlands and you very clearly see fireworks in the sky before the big explosion.  I don't know what something like mortar rounds would look like if they cooked off in a fire.  That big explosion is ammonium nitrate though. Lots of it. 

12 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Jesus H Christ.......

RIP to everyone who perished. That looked horrifying.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I am not sure of the construction quality used on that one, but here in North America those are notoriously difficult to demolish.

Canalside says "Thank you." Those aren't going anywhere, ever.

13 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Shockwave hitting the car driving down the road in #7 is crazy. 

12 hours ago, Wacka said:

I doubt that the ammonium nitrate sat in a warehouse for years. It's a port. Lots of activity. Just purring out an idea.  There have been lots of explosions  in Iran recently, supposedly done by  Iranians against the regime.   Iran is backing Hiezballah. Could rigs be the same group doing this to stop Hezballah?

I keep reading that 

Lebanese officials said the ammonium nitrate had been stored in a warehouse at Beirut port, which sits on the northern tip of the capital, in what Prime Minister Hassan Diab described as a “dangerous” warehouse for six years.

The massive blast witnessed on Tuesday was likely caused by the detonation of more than 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate that had been stored in a warehouse at the dock in Beirut’s port ever since it was confiscated from a cargo ship in 2014, Lebanese Interior Minister Mohammed Fahmi told local media.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/beirut-explosion-lebanon-blast

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I keep reading that 

Lebanese officials said the ammonium nitrate had been stored in a warehouse at Beirut port, which sits on the northern tip of the capital, in what Prime Minister Hassan Diab described as a “dangerous” warehouse for six years.

The massive blast witnessed on Tuesday was likely caused by the detonation of more than 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate that had been stored in a warehouse at the dock in Beirut’s port ever since it was confiscated from a cargo ship in 2014, Lebanese Interior Minister Mohammed Fahmi told local media.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/beirut-explosion-lebanon-blast

Good lord....its been there for 6 years.  Somebody has some explaining to do.