Is Tremaine ready to break out?

MAJBobby

14 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He looks like a monster.  Imagine seeing him across the LOS

People on the site always say, "Pic or it didn't happen" so here goes. This was taken last year before the season opener. All I can say is that I felt Lilliputian standing next to him. Awesome dude. His parents sit right behind my buddies' season tickets in section 130 when they attend. 

Maine.jpg

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know it's not the most popular opinion on this board but I think Tremaine is incredibly overrated due to his size.  I love his leadership ability and his potential, but he seems to me as someone the Bills like to publicize as their next great superstar, when he is in fact only an above average player at his position.    People like to point to his age as being one of the reasons he hasn't reached his full potential, I would argue he isn't even the best 21 year old inside linebacker in the NFL, Devin White is easily as good as Tremaine, maybe better over a full season. 

I also think it's not absurd to say he took a little bit of a step backwards last year compared to his rookie season.  If you look at his play, he very good in coverage for a guy his size, but he continues to struggle in play recognition and run support.   When it comes to pass rush, I think he has a lot to offer, but he really isnt utilized that way in McDermott's defense.   Who knows maybe they open it up for him more this year.

Bottom line is he probably isnt a top 15 player at his position in the league right now.   The way the Bills have handled him PR wise reminds me a ton of the Aaron Williams and Eric Woods of the worlds.    They were good players who were constantly publicized as "Is this the Year" types.   I wish the best for the kid, but in reality I think we've seen what he is.

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I know it's not the most popular opinion on this board but I think Tremaine is incredibly overrated due to his size.  I love his leadership ability and his potential, but he seems to me as someone the Bills like to publicize as their next great superstar, when he is in fact only an above average player at his position.    People like to point to his age as being one of the reasons he hasn't reached his full potential, I would argue he isn't even the best 21 year old inside linebacker in the NFL, Devin White is easily as good as Tremaine, maybe better over a full season. 

I also think it's not absurd to say he took a little bit of a step backwards last year compared to his rookie season.  If you look at his play, he very good in coverage for a guy his size, but he continues to struggle in play recognition and run support.   When it comes to pass rush, I think he has a lot to offer, but he really isnt utilized that way in McDermott's defense.   Who knows maybe they open it up for him more this year.

Bottom line is he probably isnt a top 15 player at his position in the league right now.   The way the Bills have handled him PR wise reminds me a ton of the Aaron Williams and Eric Woods of the worlds.    They were good players who were constantly publicized as "Is this the Year" types.   I wish the best for the kid, but in reality I think we've seen what he is.

Man, if you thought Edmunds' play recognition and run support suffered, you must have HATED Milano. In any event, Edmunds is the perfect MLB for modern football. He is massive, disrupts passing lanes, is excellent in coverage, and gets sideline to sideline.  The big thing i left out: great in run support. The reason is it just doesn't matter that much in today's NFL. This is not a running league. The inverse of that is you just don't need MLBs to be thumpers anymore. In fact, you don't even need their primary purpose to be great run stoppers. I think that, for what matters most in today's game, Edmunds is as good as any other MLB in the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Man, if you thought Edmunds' play recognition and run support suffered, you must have HATED Milano. In any event, Edmunds is the perfect MLB for modern football. He is massive, disrupts passing lanes, is excellent in coverage, and gets sideline to sideline.  The big thing i left out: great in run support. The reason is it just doesn't matter that much in today's NFL. This is not a running league. The inverse of that is you just don't need MLBs to be thumpers anymore. In fact, you don't even need their primary purpose to be great run stoppers. I think that, for what matters most in today's game, Edmunds is as good as any other MLB in the NFL.  

I agree, you are missing he two great attributes, incredible speed for his size and incredible length, he could be an INT machine in the future.   Not sure he is as good as any MLB in the NFL, I hope he gets there but no way not his play first two years.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I wish the best for the kid, but in reality I think we've seen what he is.

I disagree strongly!   He’s still so young.  And, he had a TON of brutal moments his rookie year, but took great strides in cleaning that up last year.  I think by the end of this season (assuming it happens... HAR HAR) we’ll have a better idea of what we’ve got.

56 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

As much as Milano drives me crazy at times because of over running his lanes, I think he is a more impact linebacker.  Tremaine doesnt overrun his lanes because he is slow to react.   He doesnt need to be a thumper to be great, I just think he has slow instincts.   If I had to pick between resigning Milano and Edmunds, I'd choose Milano. 

• Sad 1