Bills release Spencer Long

DJB

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I have heard the out of shape thing more then once in the thread.......how do we even know this?

Good question.  I thinking it's speculation.

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

One of the few moves this off-season McBeane has done that I don't like. Carry him through camp, with one O-line injury and this Covid situation Long would have been a nice depth piece. 

As I said before, he might have demanded his release knowing he now probably had no shot at starting at RG and his days were likely numbered anyway.

15 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Lee Smith can long snap ?

I wonder how many holding & false start penalties Lee Smith could rack up if we lined him up to play center? The officials might wind up being treated for repetitive motion injuries after throwing all those flags.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Position he has never played in the NFL: He can definitely play that. 

Position he started at for a full season in the NFL: Not sure. 

I think you'd find most people would agree with me that as an OG, he'll likely be a stud, but RT will take time and is far more questionable.

Just now, Doc said:

I think you'd find most people would agree with me that as an OG, he'll likely be a stud, but RT will take time and is far more questionable.

Most of the people who say that assume two flawed premises: first, that he has slow feet (he doesn't); and second, that the move from tackle to guard is seamless or a given (its not). In any event, the coaching staff knows him better than the fanbase. They think he is a RT. That matters the most.

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

One thing for sure.. he was not here for long 

With the Winters signing, the long and short of it was that -  he had to go.  I don't think Beane was being short-sighted.  He wasn't long for this roster.   I bet he gets picked up by another team in short-order.   

8 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Most of the people who say that assume two flawed premises: first, that he has slow feet (he doesn't); and second, that the move from tackle to guard is seamless or a given (its not). In any event, the coaching staff knows him better than the fanbase. They think he is a RT. That matters the most.

So you're saying he cannot play OG?  Or that trying to play him there is a waste of time because they should only be focusing on him playing RT?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am shocked. They must feel really good about Ryan Bates. 

I was having the same thought, he did “okay” when he played. 

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The latter. Though, if he can't play RT, Id be worried about his future in the league at any other position. 

If he can't play RT I'd be worried about trying him at C or on the left side, but he (also) played RG in college and many "experts" felt that he'd be a better RG than RT.  Again I said that I'd have him compete at both spots but let the best man win.

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I was having the same thought, he did “okay” when he played. 

Hmm. When he played in the regular season against the Jets he was rough albeit at right tackle which I don't think is his position. The Bills must really like him and Sal C has said before he thinks they do. I am unconvinced by what I have seen on the field but they see him practice every day so I am willing to trust them on it. They must know they are taking a risk. Hopefully it plays out. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. When he played in the regular season against the Jets he was rough albeit at right tackle which I don't think is his position. The Bills must really like him and Sal C has said before he thinks they do. I am unconvinced by what I have seen on the field but they see him practice every day so I am willing to trust them on it. They must know they are taking a risk. Hopefully it plays out. 

I hear ya, that’s why I said “okay” he certainly isn’t a top guy as it were, maybe they like him more as a back up center?? 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This feels like a dumb decision to me. I would think that he has trade value (or one of the other OL do). The Bills have the deepest OL in football. If it wasn’t Ling, it could have been Boehm or Bates or Nsekhe or Williams. I felt like they should have tried to spin these quality depth OL into late round picks. 

Financially I get why Long though. I always thought that he was a bubble guy with his price tag. Just the way that this played out it seems like you might have been able to spin some of the OL into an asset.

Dumb decision??  We have the best GM in the league and you are bitching about cutting a backup O lineman.  Maybe they like Ike Boettgher a whole lot better, and at a much cheaper price.  Or any of the other dozen or so back up lineman we have.  Flipping backup O lineman for 6th or 7th round picks will not make or break the organization.  And we just brought in a starting RG from the Jets yesterday.  Beane knows whats up!!

• Like (+1) 1