Bills release Spencer Long

DJB

Not a fan as the backup center spot is a little tenuous right now with Feliciano out. I won’t question Beane too much in this department as he deserves the benefit of the doubt. However, surely, Ike Boettger would’ve been a better candidate for release, right? I mean, is the guy ever going to actually play?

29 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This feels like a dumb decision to me. I would think that he has trade value

You don't think the team might just have tried that route before they cut him? 

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

A bit weird at this point as Morse doesn't have a BU with Feliciano hurt and Long Cut.

Bates. 

• Like (+1) 1

Clearly he arrived at camp out of shape. No Feliciano coupled with lack of faith in Long is an alarming situation.This is why the Bills acted so quickly on Winters' release. Otherwise there was no urgency to sign him. 

And they do save 2.3 million by releasing him, which is not chump change given the cap uncertainty.

Seems like a strange time to release him, unless Beane has been given a financial mandate from above.

With the new rules of carrying extra o lineman, you can have a lot of them on the roster.

Long was not that great, but he is better than Ike.

21 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I guess I am more surprised they couldnt have got a Pick out of him.  

Yeah. Makes me wonder if agents are pushing hard for their guys not to be traded in this environment. Let them pick their own landing spot.

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am shocked. They must feel really good about Ryan Bates. 

49 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

My thought is he had to of come into camp way out of shape which could easily happen in this offseason and that was unacceptable. 

What else would have changed? He was solid in spot duty last year carved out the same role. Could have held on to see if he could have started or maintained his role this season. AND I believe was in the last year of his contract, interesting timing which makes me think out of shape and a message sent.

47 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This feels like a dumb decision to me. I would think that he has trade value (or one of the other OL do). The Bills have the deepest OL in football. If it wasn’t Ling, it could have been Boehm or Bates or Nsekhe or Williams. I felt like they should have tried to spin these quality depth OL into late round picks. 

Financially I get why Long though. I always thought that he was a bubble guy with his price tag. Just the way that this played out it seems like you might have been able to spin some of the OL into an asset.

What changed is they want to sign Brian Winter,s but can't even bring him in for a physical without being down to 79 players, so they needed to let someone go.  Long saves almost $3mil, can use that towards signing Winters.  Probably with signing Winters, the need  for Long and his salary decreases.  The only risky part to me would be if Winters fails the physical. 

With the rules this year, may see alot of this.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Who plays behind Morse? No Feliciano and no Long?

Bates.  I think they really like that guy.

11 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

unless Beane has been given a financial mandate from above

This is how completely unfounded rumors start.  Stop it.

Edited by eball
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Seems like a strange time to release him, unless Beane has been given a financial mandate from above.

With the new rules of carrying extra o lineman, you can have a lot of them on the roster.

Long was not that great, but he is better than Ike.

Winters surely will cost more than Long would have.

Beane has a habit of releasing players while also giving them a better shot at finding another team to play for.  I think that is part of the reason for why he was released this soon.

And personally I think thats a good thing by Beane & i'm sure the players see that & respect that.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Clearly he arrived at camp out of shape. No Feliciano coupled with lack of faith in Long is an alarming situation.This is why the Bills acted so quickly on Winters' release. Otherwise there was no urgency to sign him. 

And they do save 2.3 million by releasing him, which is not chump change given the cap uncertainty.

I have heard the out of shape thing more then once in the thread.......how do we even know this?