Bills release Spencer Long

DJB

8 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

lol, ok buddy.  I will sure stop because you told me to.

Please explain why they would cut Long now when they haven't even started camp yet and guys are going to get hurt?  The only reason to cut the guy now is to save money.  Don't give me the whole nonsense about letting him catch on to another team.  He doesn't need another team if he is on this team.

Save money because the cap will likely be 20 million or so lower next season, and the Bills have Dawkins, Milano and other guys on 1year deals to extend or re-sign.  In that scenario you don’t keep a backup offensive lineman at Long’s cap numbers. Or you don’t keep Long for that reason coupled with behind the scenes information we will never know.

Edited by purple haze

Evan Boehm is essentially a younger, much cheaper version of Long. I liked Long, but this makes sense if the Winters thing is official. But as others have mentioned, i do think they really like Ryan Bates as well. Still a lot of flexibility in terms of guys who can play guard and center.  If they need more, with  Morse and Boehm already here, maybe they being in Justin Britt too, some more Mizzou grit. 

I give credit here for constantly tinkering with the Roster so every day our depth is a little bit stronger and our cap is a little bit better. Basically every day he is improving the team. i like that constant focus. He is a primary reason that if Josh can be a top 10 QB we have a real shot at winning a SB. 

There was someone who made the assertion they cut him among other things as he expected to opt out and Beane cut it off beforehand.  That’s most likely not accurate as the $150k opt out for personal, not medical reasons is only a stipend.  He has to pay it back next year, and comes out of any 2021 contract, or out of his wallet if he is not picked up.  What I didn’t know until Polisario said when interviewed yesterday that the medical opt outs at $350 only $200 k is guaranteed and not needed to pay back.  The first $150k is only an advance coming off next year’s contract.

Given these points, it’s actually better to be cut and even if Long received the minimum, it is far above what he makes to not play.  With the number of persons opting out, which is proportionally higher in lineman, he will get picked up by someone.  I really liked the post that broke down the line depth.  Good job.  I do think he’s versatile enough someone will pick him up as flexibility between guard and center.

Long only played significant snaps in three games last year — and one of them was the meaningless finale against the Jets.  He was hardly an indispensable piece and at his salary, combined with what Beane brought in and what they already had, makes this a far less questionable move to me than many here seem to think.  Those 150 or so snaps of his won’t be missed.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

Save money because the cap will likely be 20 million or so lower next season, and the Bills have Dawkins, Milano and other guys on 1year deals to extend or re-sign.  In that scenario you don’t keep a backup offensive lineman at Long’s cap numbers. Or you don’t keep Long for that reason coupled with behind the scenes information we will never know.

There is no cap benefit to cutting him now versus Sept.

36 minutes ago, eball said:

Long only played significant snaps in three games last year — and one of them was the meaningless finale against the Jets.  He was hardly an indispensable piece and at his salary, combined with what Beane brought in and what they already had, makes this a far less questionable move to me than many here seem to think.  Those 150 or so snaps of his won’t be missed.

As I understand it - the Bills will save six million dollars on their salary cap (over the next two years) by releasing Long. With all the new deals that we will have to negotiate with our good young players coming up fast -- doesn't releasing a relatively expensive veteran backup lineman, who played such a small percentage of snaps for us, make complete sense? I think that they released him earlier rather than later as a show of respect for Long - to give him a better opportunity to find a team where he can fit in. It looks like a  move by McBeane for a player that they respect, but who no longer fits into the teams needs salary cap-wise - a class move that some of our previous management groups rarely made.   

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Who plays behind Morse? No Feliciano and no Long?

Boehm.Boeetger has played center and Bates said it's HIS preference. I get the cap savings but this seems risky in these odd times. Hope this move doesn't come  back to haunt them. 

8 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

There is no cap benefit to cutting him now versus Sept.

Why wait?  They obviously feel that they have cheaper options at the position who will give them the same level of performance.  Do Long a solid and let him go now when he can catch on elsewhere.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Why wait?  They obviously feel that they have cheaper options at the position who will give them the same level of performance.  Do Long a solid and let him go now when he can catch on elsewhere.  

Injuries happen during training camp.

8 hours ago, eball said:

He did play well in the time he got though I thought but we are so extremely deep at OG......I just liked Beans thing where he got picks for players but we are in different times right now

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Injuries happen during training camp.

If Long got injured they’d be on the hook for his money which is the main reason they let him go.  They have enough to compete with in practice.  If he doesn’t sign elsewhere they can bring him back for cheaper or find another lineman, if need be.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/4/2020 at 11:09 AM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Long is a valuable piece though. There are guys much further down the roster that could have been cut instead of Long. 

St double or triple his salary though after picking up the other guard that was released by the Jets someone had to go so why not save some cash & keep the younger guy with a better upside ? 

He was signed before free agency last year as insurance if we couldnt get a top center.  They then signed morse/feliciano... with long obviously competing at RG/LG... they then brought in spain for less than long... he lost every competition.  Bringing in Winters and Williams to me indicates that they didn't have a ton of faith in him to play meaningful snaps. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

He was signed before free agency last year as insurance if we couldnt get a top center.  They then signed morse/feliciano... with long obviously competing at RG/LG... they then brought in spain for less than long... he lost every competition.  Bringing in Winters and Williams to me indicates that they didn't have a ton of faith in him to play meaningful snaps. 

Pretty much exactly how I see it too.  They don't seem to have confidence in him as a Center and there is too much better talent at G.