Bills release Spencer Long

DJB

Just now, Clemfield2622 said:

I believe Ryan Bates took snaps at C last year and was surprisingly competent. I think he's taking over Long's role.

Ok that makes sense, get younger and cheaper in the depth position (specially if play didnt fall off) I personally dont remember that point.

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This feels like a dumb decision to me. I would think that he has trade value (or one of the other OL do). The Bills have the deepest OL in football. If it wasn’t Ling, it could have been Boehm or Bates or Nsekhe or Williams. I felt like they should have tried to spin these quality depth OL into late round picks. 

Financially I get why Long though. I always thought that he was a bubble guy with his price tag. Just the way that this played out it seems like you might have been able to spin some of the OL into an asset.

80 man roster, and they brought in winters who has potential to be a starter.  

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This feels like a dumb decision to me. I would think that he has trade value (or one of the other OL do). The Bills have the deepest OL in football. If it wasn’t Ling, it could have been Boehm or Bates or Nsekhe or Williams. I felt like they should have tried to spin these quality depth OL into late round picks. 

Financially I get why Long though. I always thought that he was a bubble guy with his price tag. Just the way that this played out it seems like you might have been able to spin some of the OL into an asset.

or at least wait through opt outs and a bit of camp.

never a fan of pulling the plug on serviceable guys before you absolutely have to

that said, likely not the end of the world here 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

But Winters doesnt kick into Center.  I guess they are Happy with their plan there 

Thats fair.  Boehm i guess becomes primary depth at C.  Williams at G.  Nsekhe at T.  Bates as #9 who is usually inactive on gameday.  Feliciano comes back and either wins his job back, or moves Boehm off roster/bates (or whoever #9 is) to PS if they think they can hang onto him there?

He was $3.1 mil., but $2.4 if you subtract the $700 k dead cap, so not sure why they take that risk when he could play G or C.  We have $22 mil. In cap space right now until Winters contract hits Spotrac.  I would have cut other o lineman before him, but we’ll see.  I thought he was solid.

• Thank you (+1) 1