Bills release Spencer Long

DJB

3 minutes ago, DJB said:

My thought is he had to of come into camp way out of shape which could easily happen in this offseason and that was unacceptable. 

What else would have changed? He was solid in spot duty last year carved out the same role. Could have held on to see if he could have started or maintained his role this season. AND I believe was in the last year of his contract, interesting timing which makes me think out of shape and a message sent.

This feels like a dumb decision to me. I would think that he has trade value (or one of the other OL do). The Bills have the deepest OL in football. If it wasn’t Long, it could have been Boehm or Bates or Nsekhe or Williams. I felt like they should have tried to spin these quality depth OL into late round picks. 

Financially I get why Long though. I always thought that he was a bubble guy with his price tag. Just the way that this played out it seems like you might have been able to spin some of the OL into an asset.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This feels like a dumb decision to me. I would think that he has trade value (or one of the other OL do). The Bills have the deepest OL in football. If it wasn’t Ling, it could have been Boehm or Bates or Nsekhe or Williams. I felt like they should have tried to spin these quality depth OL into late round picks. 

Financially I get why Long though. I always thought that he was a bubble guy with his price tag. Just the way that this played out it seems like you might have been able to spin some of the OL into an asset.

My guess is several factors played into the move, and probably for the same reasons Winters got released and not traded.  He costs more than other guys, and nobody is interested in trading for a guy with that contract.

Seems unnecessary. Surely there was a better candidate to be let go. 

Maybe he came in out of shape. Or maybe he told them he was going to opt out. Who knows. Until they give me a season to doubt them, I will continue to trust McBeane. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

i assume this is a set up to sign someone else?

Uh, Winters me thinks.

Can only have 80 in the building.

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Long is a valuable piece though. There are guys much further down the roster that could have been cut instead of Long. 

I agree. But maybe they're giving Winters the money they save by cutting Long and feel Bates or someone else can do the same job for less.