Article: do the bills have a problem at CB2?

Teams don't usually have 2 elite level CBs on a starting defense. Usually on most Top defenses you'll have an elite or pro bowl level CB on one side and a very good to above average CB on the other. Unfortunately the drop off after Tre is pretty significant. Fortunately our D is designed around players that excel in zone coverage that have good recognition, anticipation, and reaction. If Norman recaptures his form from his Carolina days we should be good. Wallace, Jackson and newly acquired King provide solid depth. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh Norman can still play. He jacked it in last year playing in a clown show franchise. He will start opposite White and he will surprise a lot of people.

certainly possible. Scheme makes a world of difference, and the redskins DC put him in man coverage along with Badly misfitting his scheme to most of the plAyers on that roster. 

Certainly could have a late career resurgence playing back in palms zone 

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that CB2 is the weakest spot on the defense.  The question is, how weak is it.  The answer is, probably not that bad.  Levi Wallace is a known quantity.  He shouldn't be any worse than last year, and will probably be a bit better.  Josh Norman is hard to figure.  He was playing in a Washington defense that did not play to his strengths.   Maybe declining athleticism played a large role in his poor play, but it might have been more scheme and impaired motivation.  Norman is not a young cornerback, but there have been a number of cornerbacks who have been effective well into their thirties.  I fully expect Buffalo to address CB fairly early in the draft next year, but I'm not to worried about the position for this season.

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that CB2 is the weakest spot on the defense.  The question is, how weak is it.  The answer is, probably not that bad.  Levi Wallace is a known quantity.  He shouldn't be any worse than last year, and will probably be a bit better.  Josh Norman is hard to figure.  He was playing in a Washington defense that did not play to his strengths.   Maybe declining athleticism played a large role in his poor play, but it might have been more scheme and impaired motivation.  Norman is not a young cornerback, but there have been a number of cornerbacks who have been effective well into their thirties.  I fully expect Buffalo to address CB fairly early in the draft next year, but I'm not to worried about the position for this season.

I literally had a dream last night that we took a CB in the 1st. smh

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Norman played better in Washington than the narrative. Until 2019 that is and to me his body language looked like that of a guy who had given up. I don't think we are going to get 2015 Josh Norman, not for a minute. But if we get 2017 / 2018 Josh Norman that is still an upgrade on Wallace. 

Norman was horrific.  He was targeted 46 times and gave up 7 TDs.  He gave up 10 yards per attempt, and opposing QBs had a rating of 129 when targeting him.  He might have been the worst player at any position in the league.  I can’t imagine he starts.

9 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Hope Norman can be great again but that really feels like wishful thinking.

Expecting great from him is...well..not realistic. The Bills are likely looking for consistently average and if they get that, they'd be in good shape.

I am on the team that believes Norman is a system CB, leave it to Washington to believe he could play in a system that wasn’t McDermott’s.  He also gave up on Washington, I think ownership and coaching (or lack of) made the situation intolerable.  

• Like (+1) 1

“If the Buffalo Bills’ defense has a weakness, where is it?"

A lack of aggression. You can't let Watson slip that tackle in playoff OT. Rip his head off.

Add an identity instead of just containing everything. Play to win even if it's not fair.

10 hours ago, MJS said:

So I think it is likely that Wallace is the guy again. And I'm fine with that. He had a sophomore slump but he's a young player and can get better.

He had a 3 game “slump.” Outside that he played well  just like his rookie season.  I expect he will play well again and we’ll just have to accept it.

Well the Bills photographer seems to have a problem with Josh Norman as a roster member..  check out his photo on the Bills Roster site under the roster section, it’s pretty funny. It’s about 1/3 of his head...... 

In all seriousness, no we do not have a problem. We have better cb2 talent now than in any of our 4 SB years. What we need on defense are more forced turnovers which seemed to drop off last year. That is part pass rush and part forcing more fumbles. 

Edited by Locomark

6 hours ago, Billl said:

Norman was horrific.  He was targeted 46 times and gave up 7 TDs.  He gave up 10 yards per attempt, and opposing QBs had a rating of 129 when targeting him.  He might have been the worst player at any position in the league.  I can’t imagine he starts.

Yea he was in 2019. But I don't think he was trying. Before that he was still a good player. Maybe he dropped off a cliff last year but I suspect he mentally checked out of a clown show.