Bills gain 8 mill in cap space with new opt out signing bonus agreement

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part but I think that the Pats will have a hard time recruiting moving forward. Brady and Gronk kind of set the tone that “it’s not fun.” Collins and Van Noy left as well. The opt outs this year furthered that message. People went because they had a chance to win a title every year. I think that shine has worn off some too.

Obviously, if they pay guys they will come. All that I’m saying is that the days of the Pats getting guys for $.10 on the dollar are over. They are in great cap shape but they aren’t the Mecca of destinations anymore.

They'll have to (over)pay like everyone else now.  And still need to find a QB.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That is my thinking too. If I am the Bills I want to eat what I can this year, rather than next year when I might be at a $175m cap number (ie. a $25m reduction). I get the base salary moving, but bonuses that are prorated and the money has already been paid.... I want to count them this year!

The impact to next year's cap is very underappreciated.  I hear that there will be significant pain from TV contracts coming next year.

14 minutes ago, GG said:

The impact to next year's cap is very underappreciated.  I hear that there will be significant pain from TV contracts coming next year.

They have set a floor at $175m though so the cap will not reduce any further than that in 2021. They are going to try and spread the pain over multiple years. But there is pain coming, no doubt. 

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

Doesn’t this just make the cap issues next year for teams with opt-outs that much more difficult? ...or am I interpreting this wrong?

yeah exactly, people on the radio were making it sound like free money.....the Bills are in a good cap position next year, pushing Star's money til next year is not advantageous.....but it is what it is.

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

Doesn’t this just make the cap issues next year for teams with opt-outs that much more difficult? ...or am I interpreting this wrong?

It essentially means the contract is taking the year off.  Yes, the prorated signing bonus will count next year, and through the remainder of the contract, but he'll also presumably be playing, unless he retires or the Bills release/trade him.

21 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yeah. But if they don't spend it this year, they can roll it over.

But yes, any money saved this year goes against next year's cap, and next year's cap may take a major dive depending how all that is handled.

21 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Let’s sign Clowney

Not happening.  We have just under $25 mil. In cap space.  There should be a -$35 mil. Swing to $175 mil. Next year.  We already paid for Butler, Addison, Jefferson, have H. Phillips under contract.  We also have to extend some if not all the following, Dawkins, Milano, White if we don’t exercise the 5th year option.

Besides, he’s not even close to worth what he wants.  As Polian said the other day, he’s a situational player, not an every down and not worth a huge contract.  We just purged those kind of contracts with Jettisoning Watkins, Dareus, and so on.

18 hours ago, MJS said:

And all of the sudden the Patriots have lots of cap space. Funny how things work out for them...

You guys know it’s not free $ and when the cap drops from $210 mil. To $175 mil. Next year if they don’t cut them they have to take this cap space and put it into next year.  The Pats will be even more cap strapped next year.  Right now they are up to $34 mil., but after the settlements and signing of Newton, they had $8 mil.  If these opt outs are not cut next year, that’s $26 mil. On the hook in 2021.  Even if they cut all of them, the dead $ will still be there.

On 8/4/2020 at 6:07 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part but I think that the Pats will have a hard time recruiting moving forward. Brady and Gronk kind of set the tone that “it’s not fun.” Collins and Van Noy left as well. The opt outs this year furthered that message. People went because they had a chance to win a title every year. I think that shine has worn off some too.

Obviously, if they pay guys they will come. All that I’m saying is that the days of the Pats getting guys for $.10 on the dollar are over. They are in great cap shape but they aren’t the Mecca of destinations anymore.

Patriots built their dynasty on signing middle of the road free agents. If BB stays that wont change

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

You guys know it’s not free $ and when the cap drops from $210 mil. To $175 mil. Next year if they don’t cut them they have to take this cap space and put it into next year.  The Pats will be even more cap strapped next year.  Right now they are up to $34 mil., but after the settlements and signing of Newton, they had $8 mil.  If these opt outs are not cut next year, that’s $26 mil. On the hook in 2021.  Even if they cut all of them, the dead $ will still be there.

Until they change the rules again.