Bills sign G Brian Winters - update, there was a WNY connection

Something that I really like about what Buffalo does is that they constantly look for offensive linemen who have starting experience at the end of free agency. It's how they got feliciano edits how they got Spain and they did another signing earlier this year and now Winters. It is so hard to keep five offensive lineman that can play at a starting level healthy, if this philosophy makes sense and pays dividends.

19 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't get this obsession with moving Ford into guard without seeing what he has at RT first. I thought Ford's play actually did improve at RT when Ty got hurt later on. He was tragic early on but I thought by the end of the season was playing at a respectable level. 

The organization is going to let him have an offseason to learn and get back out there at RT. If he looks bad there this season kick him in. If not keep him out there. 

Agreed. We just went through this with Dion Dawkins...and Cordy Glenn before him...this likely won’t go away for a while because pre draft prognosticators said Ford would be an all pro guard. 

But if Ford improves his play like Dion did, it has a chance to go away. Raw tackles like Dion and Ford take some time to develop in the NFL. And in Ford’s case, Oklahoma did not ask him to do much technique wise. The things he is being asked to do in the NFL are things he’s never done before. Patience will pay off here. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Thanks for the info - it is nice to have a "Western New York" connection story instead of the customary "Carolina Connection". Now we don't have to hear some people complain that we only sign former Panthers.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

So if Winters plays well in Mongo’s absence....does he keep playing?

Yes, i think on the OL in particular you stick with what is working. Plus, I think they will ease mongo back in slowly once he’s back. Can’t see him playing every snap right away. 

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, i think on the OL in particular you stick with what is working. Plus, I think they will ease mongo back in slowly once he’s back. Can’t see him playing every snap right away. 

With the amount of time Mongo will miss, definitely.  And if reports are accurate that he's a significant upgrade over Mongo...

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It means Buffalo has a tough choice.  Winters is on a one year deal, so if they want to keep him, they will probably have to sign him to a (more costly) longer term deal, and then try to trade somebody.

On 8/7/2020 at 7:46 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed. We just went through this with Dion Dawkins...and Cordy Glenn before him...this likely won’t go away for a while because pre draft prognosticators said Ford would be an all pro guard. 

But if Ford improves his play like Dion did, it has a chance to go away. Raw tackles like Dion and Ford take some time to develop in the NFL. And in Ford’s case, Oklahoma did not ask him to do much technique wise. The things he is being asked to do in the NFL are things he’s never done before. Patience will pay off here. 

This is a wise comment.  It is EXACTLY what we kept hearing about Dawkins, and about Glenn, too.  

There are a couple of points about this.  One is that all the reports are and have been for five years or more that college offensive linemen are unprepared for pro football.  They are asked only to do a few very simple things, most important of which is to hold their blocks for no more than about 1.5 seconds.  Why?  Because the QBs are taught to make one read and either throw it or run for your life.  

The other is that most of us, including me, to think that that if the Bills don't have a Hall of Famer at some position, he has to be replaced.  In some cases, if the guy isn't a Hall of Famer, he just needs to go.   But if he's a tackle and he's not a Hall of Famer, he has to move to guard, which is somehow a less demanding position.  It's particularly a problem at tackle, because just about all of us remember Jason Peters, so he's the standard.   If the guy isn't Jason Peters, he isn't good enough. 

Finally, people keep underestimating how important it is for the offensive line to operate as a team.   That's more so than any other position group.  So the best guy for an offensive line position is not necessarily the most talented guy.  If he doesn't operate well within the team, he isn't useful.  The opposite extreme is the wideouts, who have team camaraderie and all that, but what they do on the field is pretty much independent of what the other guy is doing.  So our view of how good an offensive lineman is, speaking for myself and I think for most people posting here, much too narrow.  I have very little understanding of how well Dawkins is functioning as part of that unit, and that is perhaps the most important question from a coach's point of view. 

What about Winters?  Well, I have the same reactions as many of you:  Injuries are a concern, successful starting experience is a big plus, talent level seems high,  Morse praise says something positive. 

Beane continues to get high marks upgrading talent across the lineup.  Look at all the veteran additions across the defense.  Two nice veteran additions on the O line.  Diggs.  Excellent personnel management, so far as I can tell. 

16 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

It means Buffalo has a tough choice.  Winters is on a one year deal, so if they want to keep him, they will probably have to sign him to a (more costly) longer term deal, and then try to trade somebody.

As a GM, if you have tough choices to make, it means you're doing well.

Remember all the drought years, when the Bills would sign a free agent and the discussion was about which current dog should be cut.  In those days, free agent signings didn't create tough choices.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/6/2020 at 9:12 AM, billsfan89 said:

I don't get this obsession with moving Ford into guard without seeing what he has at RT first. I thought Ford's play actually did improve at RT when Ty got hurt later on. He was tragic early on but I thought by the end of the season was playing at a respectable level. 

The organization is going to let him have an offseason to learn and get back out there at RT. If he looks bad there this season kick him in. If not keep him out there. 

Sorry.....the board made up its mind six minutes into Ford’s career that he had to be moved to guard.  No going back now!

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Both are free agents next year.  

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Both are free agents next year.  

That doesn't mean there's not a choice to make.  If the cost is different, how much better is the more expensive player, and does it justify the greater expense to try and sign the more expensive player?  Or are bother of them going to be too pricey with a potentially reduced cap.

4 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

That doesn't mean there's not a choice to make.  If the cost is different, how much better is the more expensive player, and does it justify the greater expense to try and sign the more expensive player?  Or are bother of them going to be too pricey with a potentially reduced cap.

What I was suggesting is:  we won’t be trading anybody.  We just have to sign somebody