Bills sign G Brian Winters - update, there was a WNY connection

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Right right I forgot but yeah they were maxed out as of yesterday and no one hit the Covid wire I don’t think 

Aren't teams allowed 48 hours to release a player after signing one at this point in the year? I might be wrong but I could swear I read that somewheres. Maybe it was 24 hours... 

Edited by T&C

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Given the Feliciano loss, this was a no brainer and fits Beane's m.o., IMO. They weren't finding better depth on the street at this point.

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

From what I’ve seen from various folks who I assume know what they’re talking about , he’s starting caliber and better than Feliciano but he’s not an all pro or anything 

Yea he is a league average starting guard. I am shocked the Jets don't at least want him to compete with Von Roten and Lewis. I am not convinced he wouldn't have ended up winning one of those jobs but hey.... the other two were signed by this regime and Winters was not. Even if he ends up a backup Oline depth is priceless in this league in a normal year let alone a covid year. 

I don't think the Bills needed him, and not convinced he wins the job here, but you can never have too many credible offensive linemen. 

7 minutes ago, T&C said:

Aren't teams allowed 48 hours to release a player after signing one at this point in the year? I might be wrong but I could swear I read that somewheres. Maybe it was 24 hours... 

Not this year. You can't even bring a guy in for a visit unless you have a spot (as per Beane yesterday). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, T&C said:

Not this year, they're not!  All different rules, makes it real hard to go dumpster diving unless you're own dumpster has room first..

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You think it’s odd that the Bills want to keep their second year 2nd rd pick at the position that they drafted him to play?  I think it’s odd that you think it’s odd. 

this coming from a guy who wasn’t a fan of fords play last year at RT.  His play costs us games.  I do like his nastiness and protective nature over his teammates and I realize that that it was his rookie year. He can and probably will be a better player this year.  It makes complete sense to me that McB  is keen on having Ford at RT and he isn’t the only option

Can winters play C?  

No, but I do think it odd that Beane would double down and effectively box himself into a decision that didn't exactly prove to be the right one last season. Overall, I'd say Ford was a net negative last year at Tackle, and it's been a very common suggestion that he'd be a better guard. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he is a league average starting guard. I am shocked the Jets don't at least want him to compete with Von Roten and Lewis. I am not convinced he wouldn't have ended up winning one of those jobs but hey.... the other two were signed by this regime and Winters was not. Even if he ends up a backup Oline depth is priceless in this league in a normal year let alone a covid year. 

I don't think the Bills needed him, and not convinced he wins the job here, but you can never have too many credible offensive linemen. 

Not this year. You can't even bring a guy in for a visit unless you have a spot (as per Beane yesterday). 

Maybe when Beane said they had 80 yesterday he meant that was included Wade. If so, they had an open spot, but I assume Siran Neal is very close to being activated off of the Covid list 

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

No, but I do think it odd that Beane would double down and effectively box himself into a decision that didn't exactly prove to be the right one last season. Overall, I'd say Ford was a net negative last year at Tackle, and it's been a very common suggestion that he'd be a better guard. 

Exactly how has he boxed himself into anything.....everybody is competing for their spots except Dawkins and Morse

If anything it looks like he gave himself options

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Ill admit that I was interested in Ford at RG, given he was projected as a stud G in the Draft.  

That said, most rookie Tackles struggle.  I’m not sure how to evaluate guys on the OL and how to project a young guy developing, but clearly this staff wants Cody Ford at RT, all things being equal. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know a lot about Winters.  Here's what I do know:

1.  The Bills have lots of cap room this year

2.  The Bills lost their projected starting RG to injury a few days ago

3.  Winters is a guard with lots of starting experience and he was signed to a 1 year deal with the Bills

Whether Winters starts or is a capable backup, it works out for the Bills.  If he's terrible in camp and he's shot due to injuries, they can release him with no ramifications beyond this year.  I don't see any downside to this signing.  After all these years, it is great to be a team that is willing and able to make smart moves like this.  Not only do we have the necessary cap space to sign him, we are also seen as an attractive destination for veteran FAs who have options on where to sign.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Availability is often quoted as being one of most important attributes of players.

He played only nine games last season before landing on injured reserve after aggravating a dislocated shoulder against the Giants.

He also ended the 2014, ’16 and ’17 seasons on injured reserve.

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS AV
Career       89 79 30
2013 22 NYJ LG 67 16 12 4
2014 23 NYJ lg 67 6 6 2
2015 24 NYJ RG 67 16 10 5
2016 25 NYJ RG 67 13 13 5
2017 26 NYJ RG 67 13 13 5
2018 27 NYJ RG 67 16 16 6
2019 28 NYJ RG 67 9 9 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They said thing about Spencer Long......who has come here and played well

And Winters is better than Long. Long is a good backup who won't kill you if he has to start but is only going to just about hold his own. Winters is a proven starter. He isn't going to wow anyone but he is who he is that 6 or 7 out of 10 every week type guy. 

What is similar is the Jets cutting guys who would be at worst decent depth on the line. Last year they ended up with the likes of Jonothan Harrison and Chuma Edoga starting games. I can't believe that they would risk such a situation again. Seems madness. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Exactly how has he boxed himself into anything.....everybody is competing for their spots except Dawkins and Morse

If anything it looks like he gave himself options

I don’t think Spain is competing. He gave up o sacks last year and they signed him to a team-friendly deal. He wasn’t agreeing to that without assurances. Spain is the LG.

• Like (+1) 3