Bills sign G Brian Winters - update, there was a WNY connection

88, I did the same thing, and yes, took a shower.  I didn’t post though as it is their board, not mine, so not my place to post on their site. I’ve been trying to find if he really is an often injured person, or just misrepresented.  I saw last year he had a shoulder injury, and two years before he had a torn abdomen muscle.  He played through both as I’ve read and had off season surgeries.  In 2018, he played well the whole year.  If anything, he looks like a tough guy that is depth for us at Guard.  I still think Long is most likely at the beginning of the year going to start as he is solid and knows the scheme from last year.

In the space of the year we've gone from having 80% of our offensive line not being starter standard to having other team's starters as back ups. 

The organisation has done a good job in putting the offensive line right. There's still room to be stronger but the improvement is obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

This signing should tell you about how the team feels about Feliciano coming back.  They are preparing to not have Feliciano all year (which is really likely). 

It wouldn't shock me to see zero drop off between Winters and Feliciano.  Winters career before Buffalo was much more accomplished than Feliciano and I believe in Bobby Johnson.  I think he is a huge selling point to O lineman.

The only thing that worries me about this move, is this team's obsession with keeping Ford at RT.   He just wasn't good last year.

5 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

This signing should tell you about how the team feels about Feliciano coming back.  They are preparing to not have Feliciano all year (which is really likely). 

It wouldn't shock me to see zero drop off between Winters and Feliciano.  Winters career before Buffalo was much more accomplished than Feliciano and I believe in Bobby Johnson.  I think he is a huge selling point to O lineman.

The only thing that worries me about this move, is this team's obsession with keeping Ford at RT.   He just wasn't good last year.

One thing about Feliciano is this might show they would rather have him as the #1 depth interior OL, which sometimes is just as important as the starter and will end up with just as many reps. Feliciano plays all 3 interior positions very well in a pinch. It's also a reason they like Ty Nsekhe as depth OT because he can play both sides in a pinch when injury happens.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm getting to a point where I'm rooting for Ford to do well at RT so this stupid belief that "rookies that don't excel their rookie year never get better" will go away forever.  You know who was not good their rookie year and got much better in year 2? Besides 90% of NFL players, the one that jumps to the top of my mind is Tremaine Edmunds. He was a train wreck as a rookie. Last year he climbed into the top 10 (top 15 depending on who you ask), and now he is considered one of the most promising up and coming LBs in the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Legit signing.  Beane must be one heck of a salesman.  A number of other teams with serious needs had shown interest.  Winters had been playing hurt last season which certainly impacted his effectiveness.  If he is healthy, he'll be an easy plug and play.  Beane continues to be impressive.

Who else was showing interest? I'm not on twitter anymore, so I'm missing out on alot of these small updates. 

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I'm getting to a point where I'm rooting for Ford to do well at RT so this stupid belief that "rookies that don't excel their rookie year never get better" will go away forever.  You know who was not good their rookie year and got much better in year 2? Besides 90% of NFL players, the one that jumps to the top of my mind is Tremaine Edmunds. He was a train wreck as a rookie. Last year he climbed into the top 10 (top 15 depending on who you ask), and now he is considered one of the most promising up and coming LBs in the NFL.  

If there’s ever a position where rookies struggle, it’s at Tackle.   If he struggles again this year, then yes, his future is at Guard, but clearly the staff thinks he has what it takes to be a strong RT. 

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Who else was showing interest? I'm not on twitter anymore, so I'm missing out on alot of these small updates. 

I didn’t see any specific teams mentioned but multiple NFL reporters tweeted out, upon his being let go from the Jets, that he would likely be signed quick and have quite a few options.  

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

If there’s ever a position where rookies struggle, it’s at Tackle.   If he struggles again this year, then yes, his future is at Guard, but clearly the staff thinks he has what it takes to be a strong RT. 

Joe Marino dedicated an entire episode of Locked On Bills to Ford's future at RT. It is reallllly good. The thesis is pretty much that the whole "slow feet" argument is a myth, and that for dozens of other reasons there was never a high likelihood Ford would do well at RT his rookie season. Important points include that Ford played in the Big Ten against below-average DL talent, that he consistently played in the two point stance, and that he relied on his superior athletic ability to win at the point of attack.  He concluded that Ford was always a project RT, which he had been saying since he scouted Ford in the draft.  All this is to say that Ford was never going to be a great rookie. However, he has the size and strength to become a dominant RT. Now, that being said, he needs to develop. If he doesn't, well, then it wasn't mean to be.  But, his rookie year is not an indicator, in any respect, of what he can become at RT. 

• Like (+1) 2

This shows how serious the Bills are about making a deep run this season.  A starter goes down and we sign a very good replacement immediately.  Beane is tremendous! 

This should be an exciting season.  We should be competing hard for a Super Bowl birth this year.  Josh needs to up his game to a level that is in the top 10-12 QB's in the league (should be attainable) and we are a serious contender.  Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

“Solid market” 

He has a pretty involved injury history. Even when he played, he was playing hurt. I wonder if that is part of why the Jets cut him. The chatter is that it was a cap move, but you never really know what is happening behind the scenes.  I wouldn't take the physical as a given with this move.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane is just waiting to trade one of these guys to some desperate team for a 5th next month 

So Winters back to the Jest for a 5th sounds about right. J-E-S-T...JEST, JEST, JEST!!!

Jest fans upon reacquiring Winters: "I nevuh wanted dem to cut 'im anyways. I blame Gase and Woody! But a GREAT move by Peedason to get 'im back. Dey don't know what dey're doin' up in Buffalo. We fleeced 'em. Wait...wut position does he play again?"