Bills sign G Brian Winters - update, there was a WNY connection

Cool! 

nice insurance policy if Feliciano has any setbacks, someone gets ill, etc. 

Worst case we flip him for a pick because teams are going to be hurting for depth. This is the advantage of having probably the deepest roster in the league. 

No superstars, but depth everywhere. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I like it. I do think it's odd they seem so keen on having ford be RT, but w/e

You think it’s odd that the Bills want to keep their second year 2nd rd pick at the position that they drafted him to play?  I think it’s odd that you think it’s odd. 

this coming from a guy who wasn’t a fan of fords play last year at RT.  His play costs us games.  I do like his nastiness and protective nature over his teammates and I realize that that it was his rookie year. He can and probably will be a better player this year.  It makes complete sense to me that McB  is keen on having Ford at RT and he isn’t the only option

Can winters play C?  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You think it’s odd that the Bills want to keep their second year 2nd rd pick at the position that they drafted him to play?  I think it’s odd that you think it’s odd. 

this coming from a guy who wasn’t a fan of fords play last year at RT.  His play costs us games.  I do like his nastiness and protective nature over his teammates and I realize that that it was his rookie year. He can and probably will be a better player this year.  It makes complete sense to me that McB  is keen on having Ford at RT and he isn’t the only option

Can winters play C?  

Winters was a left tackle at Kent State, I’m guessing he could play center, but I don’t think he has ever done it. But he is a lunchpail guy. 

Also, he might know where Dri Archer is. 

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, MJS said:

They were trashing him pretty hard earlier in the thread. Seems like most were happy to see him go.

Think Star Lotulelei... not a bad player, just not worth (at least to us fans) what we’re paying him.  Winters was getting paid a good bit on that contract from the Jets. 

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So who got cut to keep roster at 80

We get 81... Wade is an exemption again this year.

I'd like to know too.

Edited by T&C

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

They were trashing him pretty hard earlier in the thread. Seems like most were happy to see him go.

When the rest of your O line is garbage, it may make decent players look bad.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if Winters looks great as a Bill.  It's the same, with our D line.   Players that do nothing on other teams, excelled when they played for Buffalo.  It's the sum of the parts, not the individuals that count when it comes to team. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

They laughed when we signed Long and he was solid enough when he had to be

You can literally never have enough O-line depth. The attention to detail on this roster is the best I have ever seen as a fan. Winters is a starting caliber guard and in a season where depth is insanely needed. I love this move. Good to replace Feliciano short term. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Think Star Lotulelei... not a bad player, just not worth (at least to us fans) what we’re paying him.  Winters was getting paid a good bit on that contract from the Jets. 

They mentioned a lot of injuries and how he used to be a good player but isn't anymore because injuries have taken their toll. But we'll see.

I don't follow offensive linemen from other teams so I don't have an opinion myself.

24 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

They laughed when we signed Long and he was solid enough when he had to be

Yeah, having backups with a ton of starting experience is great. Long is a great backup.

I think people trash players who are on that fringe of being not quite good enough to start. Because those players end up starting and have mixed results. But when they are backups they are great to have.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

When the rest of your O line is garbage, it may make decent players look bad.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if Winters looks great as a Bill.  It's the same, with our D line.   Players that do nothing on other teams, excelled when they played for Buffalo.  It's the sum of the parts, not the individuals that count when it comes to team. 

Yeah, but it can go both ways. Sometimes the player is just as much of the problem as those around him. Hard to know sometimes how players from bad teams will turn out.

But we've had some good signing like that. Jordan Poyer is the poster boy. John Brown flashed when he was on a good Cardinals team, so he's not a true example, but he did have his best season as a Bill.

• Like (+1) 1