Bills sign G Brian Winters - update, there was a WNY connection

Roster depth will be more important than ever this season for teams that are looking to make a playoff run. This is another solid move by the Bills to add O-Line depth. Cutting Winters was a good move by Douglas to free up cap space for next year. I think Douglas and reasonable Jets fans know that the Jets are a long shot to make the playoffs this season. Douglas is marshalling cap space and draft picks to build a real foundation for the future. Bring in a new head coach next year and have the resources to put together a winning program.

Ultimately this was a good move for both teams.

Winters is a journeyman. He's.. a little below average most of the time and bad occasionally. He's never been a world beater, but the Jets blocking scheme changed and did not play to his strengths last season. He'll be more comfortable in Buffalo's scheme, but is only a stopgap for the year. 

Just smart. I’m assuming the money will be low. Any free agent right now knows their deal will be limited. All teams are going to attempt to keep as much cap space to roll into 2021 as possible. Long could be a cut candidate. Same for Hauschka & of course Murphy if they see Epenesa as an upgrade early on. 

Depth? Not good? Brian Winters is now the best OG on our roster. He's way better than Feliciano and still better than Spain, but why did they release him? He had a pretty decent year in 2019. An old injury acting up?

Edited by GreggTX

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Although I really see adams as a possible replacement for Dawkins.  It’s not like dawkins is great.  On his best day, I think he’s pretty good.  Never elite.  About to be paid a large sum of money.  If Adams can surprise and be a steal we can save a lot of money.  Unlikely as it may be, that’s how I view adams.  Not a replacement for Ford.

The strike against your theory on potentially replacing Dawkins is that Dion drinks and then sweats out process kool-aid. His personality and strength as a teammate means something to this regime. They value locker room leaders, which I think Dawkins has become.

That being said, those negotiations will be intriguing. I see a mutually beneficial deal being reached. But I've been wrong. A lot.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

The 1984 Buffalo Bills were the worst team in Bills history.

I could name almost the entire roster without batting an eye.

Does that make me a bad person? ?

I was at the Cleveland game last year and one of the Browns' fans got mad at me. All I was doing was calling out guys' names who made plays. "Nice Tre," "C'mon Josh," "Yes Tremaine," etc. That kind of stuff. The guy next to me went off on me when it looked like the Bills might win the game..."I'm so sick of hearing you call out players' names!" and then he did a very agitated and bad impersonation of me. No doubt, I do see how it could be a bit annoying to hear a visiting fan constantly doing that right next to you. So, I sympathized and didn't get upset. But then his buddy, two seats over, leaned in and calmly asked me, "How the hell do you know all of their names anyhow?"

I always figured that most fans (who are more than just the casual observers) knew the majority of the players on their team, but apparently not. I guess it's just another sign of Bills fans being truly die-hard. I bet if they shot that Jets video in Buffalo at any time during the drought, the vast majority of Bills fans could have named way more than 5 players. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

“Who needs compensatory picks when you can just sign every o-lineman on the market and flip them for draft picks?”

- Brandon Beane, probably.

he won’t count against us and will likely end up counting for us in the calculation 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, folz said:

I was at the Cleveland game last year and one of the Browns' fans got mad at me. All I was doing was calling out guys' names who made plays. "Nice Tre," "C'mon Josh," "Yes Tremaine," etc. That kind of stuff. The guy next to me went off on me when it looked like the Bills might win the game..."I'm so sick of hearing you call out players' names!" and then he did a very agitated and bad impersonation of me. No doubt, I do see how it could be a bit annoying to hear a visiting fan constantly doing that right next to you. So, I sympathized and didn't get upset. But then his buddy, two seats over, leaned in and calmly asked me, "How the hell do you know all of their names anyhow?"

I always figured that most fans (who are more than just the casual observers) knew the majority of the players on their team, but apparently not. I guess it's just another sign of Bills fans being truly die-hard. I bet if they shot that Jets video in Buffalo at any time during the drought, the vast majority of Bills fans could have named way more than 5 players. 

We could probably name 5 Jets starters to go with it.!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

The strike against your theory on potentially replacing Dawkins is that Dion drinks and then sweats out process kool-aid. His personality and strength as a teammate means something to this regime. They value locker room leaders, which I think Dawkins has become.

That being said, those negotiations will be intriguing. I see a mutually beneficial deal being reached. But I've been wrong. A lot.

It’s not that I think Adams is going to be Dawkins replacement.  I just think that his future on this team has more to do with Dawkins than it does Ford.  If Dawkins isn’t signed long term and only plays ok while adams impresses, it could sway them if Dawkins wants over 15 mill a year.  

I have come around to Dawkins strictly because of who he is as a leader on this team.....but I have still have my questions regarding whether or not he’s going to get the job done when Josh needs him most.  

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Roster depth will be more important than ever this season for teams that are looking to make a playoff run. This is another solid move by the Bills to add O-Line depth. Cutting Winters was a good move by Douglas to free up cap space for next year. I think Douglas and reasonable Jets fans know that the Jets are a long shot to make the playoffs this season. Douglas is marshalling cap space and draft picks to build a real foundation for the future. Bring in a new head coach next year and have the resources to put together a winning program.

Ultimately this was a good move for both teams.

I’d give my first born for them to keep gase for just one more draft 

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I’d give my first born for them to keep gase for just one more draft 

Lol!  I’d love to see Gase stick around too.  The problem is their new GM Joe Douglas seems to know what he’s doing.  He learned from Ozzie Newsome who was a top 3 GM in football before he retired.  We have a two year head start on the Jets.  Let’s hope we can take advantage of it.

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Show me the contract Bean-o

Many old timers should remember that there was a G named Brian Winters who played for the Milwaukee Bucks after being traded for one Lew Alcindor.

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

The 1984 Buffalo Bills were the worst team in Bills history.

I could name almost the entire roster without batting an eye.

Does that make me a bad person? ?

Of course not. We just live in a different climate. The New York metropolitan area has 9 pro sports teams (Giants, Jets, Yankees, ‘Mess’, Rangers, Islanders, Knick’s, Devils, Nets) and a slew of known college programs. With that many home teams, it’s easy to understand people cross off the current crappy teams as they all have real lives to deal with. We have 1 & a half. We know most Sabres and all the Bills cuz there’s literally nothing else sports wise. My home bar has Bills & Sabres memorabilia-& a couple Bison hockey things (I’m old). No baseball, UB or lacrosse stuff.

• Like (+1) 3