Bills sign G Brian Winters - update, there was a WNY connection

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane is just waiting to trade one of these guys to some desperate team for a 5th next month 

Nail on the head there, Beane has a plan B & C for everyone on the roster it appears. 

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Yea. Thanks for correction for autocorrect.  I believe he was active last year.

Iirc Bates played in A handful of games, he recovered a fumble in one of them, he seemed to carry his weight as it were.

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Secret plot to get back Peterman.  ?

Yup another Montana just waiting for his moment... ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yea. Thanks for correction for autocorrect.  I believe he was active last year.

He was active 8 times but his only real action came week 17 against the Jets at RT (and he was bad). Now I think a lot of people think he has more chance as an inside guy, and I agree, but it is all projection. Keeping him as your backup center when he has never done it in an NFL game over two guys who have in Boehm and Long is a major risk. If we had pre-season games and he beat them out on the field facing semi live bullets then that is one thing. Gambling on him over two proven solid backup vets based on camp reps is another. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a bit surprised.  No terms revealed, I presume.  Beane is collecting trade bait I presume, not that Winters will be the one traded, but between Ike Boettger, Evan Boehm, Spencer Long, Quinton Spain, Darryl Williams, and Winters, it'll be hard to imagine Beane not trying to trade somebody, and I didn't even mention some of the younger guys who could play on the interior of the line.

Edited by TigerJ

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane is just waiting to trade one of these guys to some desperate team for a 5th next month 

I think that might be harder without pre-season too. Because teams will talk themselves into standing pat with guys that look good in shorts rather than realising in pre-season "this guy is gonna get my QB hurt". But if there is a team who feels uncomfortable with their depth then the Bills are definitely a team they will call. 

41 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

No, but I do think it odd that Beane would double down and effectively box himself into a decision that didn't exactly prove to be the right one last season. Overall, I'd say Ford was a net negative last year at Tackle, and it's been a very common suggestion that he'd be a better guard. 

I agree completely, but I get why they want to keep him at RT and have no problem with it for one reason.  His potential replacements at RT are underwhelming.

Nsekhe was better than Ford last year, but he couldn’t stay healthy playing part time. He basically has zero% chance of playing 16 games and the playoffs.  He’s best served as a very good backup.  

D williams is a more intriguing candidate.  Pro bowl a couple years ago, but sometimes big men can’t recover from injuries the way the smaller guys can.  Seems to be a shell of himself.  Maybe another year removed from the surgery will be beneficial for him and he can regain some of his old form.  I wouldn’t bet on it.  

Trey Adams.  Long, long shot.  Hard to make a case for him beating out our 2nd rd pick of a year ago but I’ve seen crazier things.  If he really impresses them, I could see them potentially moving ford.  Although I really see adams as a possible replacement for Dawkins.  It’s not like dawkins is great.  On his best day, I think he’s pretty good.  Never elite.  About to be paid a large sum of money.  If Adams can surprise and be a steal we can save a lot of money.  Unlikely as it may be, that’s how I view adams.  Not a replacement for Ford.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I agree completely, but I get why they want to keep him at RT and have no problem with it for one reason.  His potential replacements at RT are underwhelming.

Nsekhe was better than Ford last year, but he couldn’t stay healthy playing part time. He basically has zero% chance of playing 16 games and the playoffs.  He’s best served as a very good backup.  

D williams is a more intriguing candidate.  Pro bowl a couple years ago, but sometimes big men can’t recover from injuries the way the smaller guys can.  Seems to be a shell of himself.  Maybe another year removed from the surgery will be beneficial for him and he can regain some of his old form.  I wouldn’t bet on it.  

Trey Adams.  Long, long shot.  Hard to make a case for him beating out our 2nd rd pick of a year ago but I’ve seen crazier things.  If he really impresses them, I could see them potentially moving ford.  Although I really see adams as a possible replacement for Dawkins.  It’s not like dawkins is great.  On his best day, I think he’s pretty good.  Never elite.  About to be paid a large sum of money.  If Adams can surprise and be a steal we can save a lot of money.  Unlikely as it may be, that’s how I view adams.  Not a replacement for Ford.

When they signed Williams that looked like a strong signal that Ford would be slipping inside, given he's a proven commodity, but I hear you. Unless Ford is a dumpster fire, which I definitely don't want, I expect him to start.

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Tre Adams is that guy I want to get onto the practice squad....cultivate him for a year and then get him in there......I think he has talent.

Bottom line......Beane knows what he is actually doing

9 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

No Nsekhe will back up both Tackles, Daryl Williams will back up both Guards.... but I ask, Who’s the backup center? Bates?

Bates was projected as a C coming out of college. He’s also signed for a few years on a cheap deal. But  Long has starting experience there (even though he played hurt). I think Boehm is more of a guard?

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bates was projected as a C coming out of college. He’s also signed for a few years on a cheap deal. But  Long has starting experience there (even though he played hurt). I think Boehm is more of a guard?

Boehm has been a swing inside guy. He definitely played both in Arizona. 

Nothing wrong with adding a player like Winters at this time.  He replaces the depth we lost with Feliciano’s injury.  Happy to see the signing. For those complaining about the quality of his play, there aren’t a lot of high end offensive linemen out there right now.  Beane did what he could.