Bills sign G Brian Winters - update, there was a WNY connection

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

This signing should tell you about how the team feels about Feliciano coming back.  They are preparing to not have Feliciano all year (which is really likely). 

It wouldn't shock me to see zero drop off between Winters and Feliciano.  Winters career before Buffalo was much more accomplished than Feliciano and I believe in Bobby Johnson.  I think he is a huge selling point to O lineman.

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Legit signing.  Beane must be one heck of a salesman.  A number of other teams with serious needs had shown interest.  Winters had been playing hurt last season which certainly impacted his effectiveness.  If he is healthy, he'll be an easy plug and play.  Beane continues to be impressive.

Winters has had trouble staying healthy and JEST Organization has not helped. I think the Bills have shown that they have a good plan for offense line, have good coach and they have good facility for both maintaining health and rehabilitating.  Considering the 1.5 players who opted out and good plan for COVID-19 it is a good place for a player to go who wants to restore his value on a one year contract.  Now if he cannot remain healthy Bills will look at replacing him with Mongo toward end of year if he can come back.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

This signing should tell you about how the team feels about Feliciano coming back.  They are preparing to not have Feliciano all year (which is really likely). 

It wouldn't shock me to see zero drop off between Winters and Feliciano.  Winters career before Buffalo was much more accomplished than Feliciano and I believe in Bobby Johnson.  I think he is a huge selling point to O lineman.

The only thing that worries me about this move, is this team's obsession with keeping Ford at RT.   He just wasn't good last year.

You can't count on Feliciano coming back this year.  If he does, great, but he'll be behind the 8-ball.  He almost assuredly will try to push himself to get back so he can show that he's recovered for when he hits FA next year, but that's not the Bills' concern.  They'll play the best man.

And I agree that forcing Ford at RT isn't smart.  I hope he competes at both RG and RT with Winters and Williams respectively, and if he needs to sit and learn, so be it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

You can't count on Feliciano coming back this year.  If he does, great, but he'll be behind the 8-ball.  He almost assuredly will try to push himself to get back so he can show that he's recovered for when he hits FA next year, but that's not the Bills' concern.  They'll play the best man.

And I agree that forcing Ford at RT isn't smart.  I hope he competes at both RG and RT with Winters and Williams respectively, and if he needs to sit and learn, so be it.

Yeah a torn pec is really hard for someone to not reinjure again when they are literally forcefully stressing it every snap by having to reach out and block someone...for another position it might not be as big of a deal but for an OLine/DLine player I think it will be a much harder thing to deal with.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:30 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Bates was projected as a C coming out of college. He’s also signed for a few years on a cheap deal. But  Long has starting experience there (even though he played hurt). I think Boehm is more of a guard?

Boehm is a natural center who has played a lot of right guard in the NFL. He started like 40 games at center at Mizzou, interestingly though, the majority of his NFL experience so far has been at guard. Not sure why that is, but he’s an interesting depth guy for sure.  

Interestingly, all of the other centers on the roster Morse, Bates, Boettger, even Feliciano (played a ton of RT at the U) are converted tackles. 

Fun fact...Ryan Bates’ dad’s first name is Norman. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Boehm is a natural center who has played a lot of right guard in the NFL. He started like 40 games at center at Mizzou, interestingly though, the majority of his NFL experience so far has been at guard. Not sure why that is, but he’s an interesting depth guy for sure.  

Interestingly, all of the other centers on the roster Morse, Bates, Boettger, even Feliciano (played a ton of RT at the U) are converted tackles. 

In general college tackles have more mobility than guards and many are converted to guards in NFL.  Many teams these days are going with more mobile linemen who are able to pull, do sweeps, etc so they want their guards to be more mobile as well rather than huge behemoths that dominated lines for a while.

Boehm is very football smart with him playing center in high school and had the advantage that his father was his head coach. He got an award for most outstanding football athlete in Kansas City Metropolitan Area and was a high school captain.  There is an interview with his father (who is sports salesman and works on KC Chiefs on game days).

Interview with his father on Evan.  Evan did not like Cardinals and liked both Rams and Colts.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-border-patrol/royce-boehm#description

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/3/2020 at 5:24 PM, njbuff said:

Jets fans weren't too thrilled about Winters.

How does Winters REALLY grade out?

Don't know about grades but I can tell you that he was very well-regarded by his teammates for his toughness and playing through injuries.  Unfortunately, it has been several years since he hasn't been hindered by injuries.  He was flat out bad last year, but if he recovers from his injuries he is a starting level guard. 

The Buffalo Bills have officially inked free agent guard Brian Winters. Ian Rapoport o NFL Network is saying it’s a one-year, $3 million with $2 million guaranteed. The corresponding move was to release OG Spencer Long earlier in the week. The move saved $2.4 million, so the move is negligible on the Bills’ salary cap.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/8/6/21357071/buffalo-bills-officially-sign-og-brian-winters-to-one-year-deal-contract-details-new-

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

On 8/3/2020 at 2:33 PM, NewEra said:

You think it’s odd that the Bills want to keep their second year 2nd rd pick at the position that they drafted him to play?  I think it’s odd that you think it’s odd. 

this coming from a guy who wasn’t a fan of fords play last year at RT.  His play costs us games.  I do like his nastiness and protective nature over his teammates and I realize that that it was his rookie year. He can and probably will be a better player this year.  It makes complete sense to me that McB  is keen on having Ford at RT and he isn’t the only option

Can winters play C?  

I don't get this obsession with moving Ford into guard without seeing what he has at RT first. I thought Ford's play actually did improve at RT when Ty got hurt later on. He was tragic early on but I thought by the end of the season was playing at a respectable level. 

The organization is going to let him have an offseason to learn and get back out there at RT. If he looks bad there this season kick him in. If not keep him out there. 

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, ALF said:

The Buffalo Bills have officially inked free agent guard Brian Winters. Ian Rapoport o NFL Network is saying it’s a one-year, $3 million with $2 million guaranteed. The corresponding move was to release OG Spencer Long earlier in the week. The move saved $2.4 million, so the move is negligible on the Bills’ salary cap.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/8/6/21357071/buffalo-bills-officially-sign-og-brian-winters-to-one-year-deal-contract-details-new-

Thanks ALF! The terms make me love this signing even more.

Winters was rumored to have a big market with several teams interested. Good o-line talent is super hard to find in today's NFL and Winters is a good player who fought through injuries last year and played on a sub-par offense/in a terrible offensive scheme. 

Surprised we were able to sign him for a relatively cheap amount and almost break even after cutting Long. Some good news on a potentially scary opt-out day for Bills fans.

On 8/4/2020 at 7:50 AM, Back2Buff said:

The only thing that worries me about this move, is this team's obsession with keeping Ford at RT.   He just wasn't good last year.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:03 AM, Limeaid said:

Winters has had trouble staying healthy and JEST Organization has not helped. I think the Bills have shown that they have a good plan for offense line, have good coach and they have good facility for both maintaining health and rehabilitating.  Considering the 1.5 players who opted out and good plan for COVID-19 it is a good place for a player to go who wants to restore his value on a one year contract.  Now if he cannot remain healthy Bills will look at replacing him with Mongo toward end of year if he can come back.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, Doc said:

Wouldn't shock me to see the Bills are cautious with bringing Feliciano  back, if by mid year he's ready, but Winters is playing good and not hurt, they give Feliciano and injury settlement and release him as he'll become a FA by year end anyway.  Assuming the rules with the new CBA haven't changed around that? 

I didn't see what the deal with Winters is, just a one year or more?