ESPN: The NFL's Best Offenses per Personnel Grouping

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, that's why I downplayed the one Group we were actually mentioned in.

I dont think it's a big part of the Ravens Offense either (16 times to our 15 times). I think they were just in the same situations we were. Gaining good yards on 1st and 2nd down, and being in a lot of short yardage situations.

When you have a QB who is also a running weapon, like Jackson and Allen are, you can "waste" personnel on extra blockers since Defenses have to respect the RBs and QB.

For sure and I don't discount it means we did well to be in short yardage situations. I was more commenting on how putting Lee Smith and some combination of Sweeny/Kroft/Knox on the field with Singletary and one of Gore/Dimarco is nowhere near as useful as Ingram/Edwards and Andrews/Hurst/Boyle.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Where did we rank in the 11 personnel?  We seemed to do much better later in the season with that set.  I think that personnel package can really get better with the addition of Diggs.  

Joe Marino of 'Locked On Bills' has mentioned on more than one occasion that the Bills were in '11 Personnel' a shade over 70% from, I believe, Week 11 (?) on last season. You would think that would logically (hopefully) continue with the addition of Stefon Diggs.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Where did we rank in the 11 personnel?  We seemed to do much better later in the season with that set.  I think that personnel package can really get better with the addition of Diggs.  

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Joe Marino of 'Locked On Bills' has mentioned on more than one occasion that the Bills were in '11 Personnel' a shade over 70% from, I believe, Week 11 (?) on last season. You would think that would logically (hopefully) continue with the addition of Stefon Diggs.

They didnt do full rankings. Just most, least, best, and who to watch in 2020.

Here's what it said on 11

11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs)

Why it works: With a tight end on the field, offenses can pick up an extra blocker on the line of scrimmage in pass protection while adding another gap to attack in the running game. And tight ends with passing-game upside give offensive coordinators another weapon in the toolbox to complement the three wide receivers on the field.

cin.png&h=110&w=110

The team that ran it the most: The Cincinnati Bengals led the NFL last season with 788 snaps out of 11 personnel. However, they ranked No. 27 in yards per play (5.12), No. 26 in yards per attempt (6.66) and No. 28 in yards per rush (3.98), while also finishing 31st overall in successful play rate at 38.9%. Those are extremely poor numbers for Zac Taylor's offense given the number of snaps here.

But with the addition of quarterback Joe Burrow, who has the traits to produce as a rookie, the return of receiver A.J. Green and improved offensive line play, I expect the Bengals to be more efficient out of their top personnel grouping this season.

dal.png&h=110&w=110

The team that ran it the best: In 2019, the Dallas Cowboys ran 713 snaps out of 11 personnel and averaged 7.16 yards per play while registering a league-best successful play rate of 50.4%. Quarterback Dak Prescott averaged 8.47 yards per attempt, with a league-leading 23 touchdown passes. And running back Ezekiel Elliott's 823 yards rushing led all backs on 11 personnel carries.

In addition to converting third downs at 48.1% -- tops in the league -- Dallas generated an NFL-high 54 explosive play receptions and averaged 5.44 yards per rush in this scheme.

min.png&h=110&w=110

The team that ran it the least: The Minnesota Vikings ran only 200 snaps out of 11 last season, and they averaged a league-best 8.49 yards per attempt. However, this isn't really a surprise. That offense under Stefanski leaned on multiple tight end sets last season, with the Vikings ranking in the top five on 12, 22 and 13 personnel snaps.

kc.png&h=110&w=110

The team to watch in 2020: Kansas City Chiefs. Yes, the Cowboys should once again register upper-level numbers under new coach Mike McCarthy, given the offensive line play in Dallas and the addition of rookie wide receiver CeeDee Lamb. But let's not sleep on the Super Bowl champs. The Chiefs' 8.47 yards per attempt in this grouping last season tied with the Cowboys, and Patrick Mahomes tossed 21 touchdown passes out of 11 personnel in 14 games.

With the speed K.C. has at wide receiver, plus the matchup ability of tight end Travis Kelce, the Chiefs can jump into trips sets to dice up defensive game plans. And don't forget about rookie running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire, who has the passing-game traits and running ability to register great numbers as a rookie.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thanks!  Sorta a cop out to "watch" out for the chiefs when the were already so good (tied for best YPA).  I do think we might have the biggest jump in production in 11 personnel.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, I got that. I was just giving some context to @YattaOkasan 's question. They mentioned KC and DAL as teams to watch in 2020. It doesn't take any deep-dive analysis to come up with that. They really went out on a limb there.

Honestly I expect a lot of empty packages from 11 personnel in the coming year.  Will be interesting to see if Gabe Davis gets some run in 11 personnel.  I think with his bigger size you could have a pretty good package for running against a nickel package.

On 8/3/2020 at 1:55 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

So I shouldn’t keep Singletary in my keeper fantasy league? ? I was so happy to get a Bills rb but he definitely won’t get enough touches to justify keeping him.

Nobody knows for sure.  There are those predicting Singletary will have a breakout season.  I myself think McDermott is going to platoon them all season with roughly a 50/50 split by the time all is said and done, though individual games might be different.  I think work horse backs are the exception in the league rather than the rule.  There aren't too many Derrick Henrys out there.