HBD Coach Levy!

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

One.  You couldn't win ONE?!?!?!?!?!

How much different the city would be viewed had this moment been a positive one. Still my all-time favorite SB picture moment for the team, despite the outcome.

image.png.0ebed4b7ada343b1b3a3cee6e575650b.png

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Beast said:

If they kept Smerlas one more year the Bills would have won a SB. With Smerlas at NT they wouldn't have been manhandled on the line like the Giants did to them.

You are conveniently forgetting that Freddie was probably 35 at the time and not exactly a full time player.  They let him go at EXACTLY the right time, the mistake was thinking that a lightweight mullet Jeff Wright could man the position competently.  

Back in '89, I was the sports director of the campus TV station at SUNY Cortland. (Not much glam, but gave me something else to do besides drinking.) I sent letters to every sports team, pro or college, with any kind of national or state level juice, to see if we could interview some of their players for a show we were producing at the time.

I heard back from 2 teams. The Syracuse University football coach, Dick MacPherson, assigned a grad student to arrange for a few interviews with some players with aspirations of going pro. (I think he wanted them to get some added interviewing experience, before it meant anything.) So that was nice.

The only other call I got was from the Buffalo Bills, and it was from Marv Levy himself!! I almost swallowed the phone in my crappy Cortland apartment when I heard that gravelly voice I'd heard 100 times before on the other end. Of course he was calling to let me know he wouldn't be able to arrange any interviews with Bills players. But he did it in such a classy, appreciative way, along with the fact that it was coming from the man himself, I hung up the phone feeling like I'd just gotten an award, rather than a gentle brush off.

Marv became a hero of mine that day, and that memory has mentored me ever since.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Yeah it is crazy how fast it can come.  The same happened to my fraternal grandparents.  Both were driving, playing cards, visiting with friends in their 90s, then when it started to happen they went downhill in a matter of days.  Crazy stuff.

Like wise for my grandmother...made it to 94 with few health issues, and sharp as a tack. But it unraveled in the space of about a month. Honestly, not a bad way to go.

5 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Like wise for my grandmother...made it to 94 with few health issues, and sharp as a tack. But it unraveled in the space of about a month. Honestly, not a bad way to go.

Yeah, it's one of those things that is obviously sad, but you look back and think "hey 90+ good healthy years...hard to beat that".  My maternal grandparents passed away before I even knew them so out of the two options I'll take 90s please lol.

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

You are conveniently forgetting that Freddie was probably 35 at the time and not exactly a full time player.  They let him go at EXACTLY the right time, the mistake was thinking that a lightweight mullet Jeff Wright could man the position competently.  

I'm not conveniently forgetting anything. Fred Smerlas was still a better player at that age than Jeff Wright ever was. Wright couldn't plug a drain much less the middle of an NFL offensive line. Smerlas could.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'm not conveniently forgetting anything. Fred Smerlas was still a better player at that age than Jeff Wright ever was. Wright couldn't plug a drain much less the middle of an NFL offensive line. Smerlas could.

Let's agree to meet in the middle and wish that they had Ted Washington from 1995

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Yeah, it's one of those things that is obviously sad, but you look back and think "hey 90+ good healthy years...hard to beat that".  My maternal grandparents passed away before I even knew them so out of the two options I'll take 90s please lol.

My other grandmother battled dementia for the last 10 years of her life...that was painful.

12 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

How much different the city would be viewed had this moment been a positive one. Still my all-time favorite SB picture moment for the team, despite the outcome.

image.png.0ebed4b7ada343b1b3a3cee6e575650b.png

That's a good one but nothing beats this...

nfl_mmp22_cr_1296x729.jpg

A few years ago, we saw him in the Buffalo airport.  We were flying back to Tampa as we go up for a family reunion and then a Bills game every September.  He was very gracious and stopped to take a pic with my two sons, and asked them about their sports.  He didn’t have to do that, but was very nice.  I really appreciated that moment.