"Things I Won't Work With"

One of my favorite pharma bloggers, medicinal chemist Derek Lowe, has a hashtag "Things I won't Work With".  In a recent edition, he was in rare form.  Check it out

Gems: "Recall that this is the compound whose cocrystal with TNT is actually less dangerous than the pure starting material itself, and yeah, I know that sounds like the guy at the pet store packing a starved Komodo dragon into the carrier with your new dog, just to calm him down some."

"once I’ve crystallized the two together, which is the sort of thing most people would consider a very unfortunate accident, I most definitely do not want to take the powder X-ray diffraction spectrum of the stuff by “finely grinding and packing the material” into a sample holder. Who the hell got to be the first person to try that, and what were they wearing while they did it?

I’d be dressed up like the first person to set foot on Venus, I can tell you (“That’s one. . .small. . .step for a foolhardy moron. . .”) and while I picked up the mortar and pestle (assuming my suit allowed me that much mobility) and muttered a brief prayer to Cthulhu (edit: spelled his name wrong; I’m toast now), I’d be thinking that if I’d only planned my career with more attention that I could be wrestling a hungry carnivorous six-foot lizard instead. Mom always wanted me to go into reptile-wrangling, should have listened while I had the chance"

Any things YOU won't work with?

• Haha (+1) 1

Rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh!t-kickers and Methodists.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One of my favorite pharma bloggers, medicinal chemist Derek Lowe, has a hashtag "Things I won't Work With".  In a recent edition, he was in rare form.  Check it out

Gems: "Recall that this is the compound whose cocrystal with TNT is actually less dangerous than the pure starting material itself, and yeah, I know that sounds like the guy at the pet store packing a starved Komodo dragon into the carrier with your new dog, just to calm him down some."

"once I’ve crystallized the two together, which is the sort of thing most people would consider a very unfortunate accident, I most definitely do not want to take the powder X-ray diffraction spectrum of the stuff by “finely grinding and packing the material” into a sample holder. Who the hell got to be the first person to try that, and what were they wearing while they did it?

I’d be dressed up like the first person to set foot on Venus, I can tell you (“That’s one. . .small. . .step for a foolhardy moron. . .”) and while I picked up the mortar and pestle (assuming my suit allowed me that much mobility) and muttered a brief prayer to Cthulhu (edit: spelled his name wrong; I’m toast now), I’d be thinking that if I’d only planned my career with more attention that I could be wrestling a hungry carnivorous six-foot lizard instead. Mom always wanted me to go into reptile-wrangling, should have listened while I had the chance"

Any things YOU won't work with?

I used to work with HCl, HNO3, HF, HClO4 and Na2O2.

Now that I retired all I work with is the lawn mower, rakes, wheel barrow,  shovels, weed eater and hedge trimmer.

Apple products.

To be fair, I did have a job where I had to support both Windows and Mac users, so I had a laptop that could boot into either system. I spent several months completely immersed in the Mac OS, just to get used to it. I went to Mac forums saying, "I do this in Windows, how do I do the same with a Mac?" and frequently, the answer was, "You can't." These are basic productivity tasks, like placing shortcuts to files and software on the desktop, easy task switching, etc. Windows can be frustrating at times, but it's far more customizable.

I'll give Apple credit for coming up with great ideas, but someone else usually implements a better solution shortly thereafter and sells it for half the price.

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh!t-kickers and Methodists.

You got something against Lee Strasberg?

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Roundup, other pesticides, insecticides, fungicides, chemicals or morons.

You musta quit a lotta jobs over that last one

3 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

What you got against pugs?

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You musta quit a lotta jobs over that last one

I finally solved that by quitting my job and becoming a freelancer. While it's good not to work with morons anymore, unfortunately I now have a prick for a boss and a lazy employee.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Too bad there's nobody coming up to pick up where Mel Brooks left off!  Certainly no shortage of modern day material.

• Like (+1) 1

Brown liquor. :sick:

I would say ALL liquor, but I do enjoy an occasional margarita on the rocks with salt, or 1-2 bloody Mary’s at brunch (you can only have so many). I had an unfortunate incident with Napoleon Brandy as a high schooler, then there was The Great Wild Turkey Incident on my 19th birthday during college. No thank you!  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Apparently many sharks and many snakes are quite harmless and even friendly.

Komodo dragons, though....

Their saliva is poisonous... one little nip and you are done, it may take days but that is how they hunt.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Other than the morons... the rest are easy to work with imo. Herbicides are what they are and they work well with little to no effect on health if used properly. The roundup "lawsuit" is just a group of lawyers trying to make money. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1