Any realistic adjustments the NFL can make (or is making?) at this point so they're more NBA than MLB or are we good/screwed??

How viable is this season?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What can the NFL do or what is the NFL currently doing to make this season actually happen?

• They've already done what they can and the full season will happen.
    • There's nothing the NFL can do. They were always screwed. Season is doomed!
    • I know that the NFL is now taking these additional steps after watching MLB & NBA, so I feel better about the season. (List steps being taken)
    • Here are some realistic steps the NFL can take in the upcoming weeks for a successful season. (List them)

Over a month ago, I posited a thread that asked, “what steps need to be taken to make a season viable.” The first response was a mocking meme of sheep wearing masks. From there it descended into the usual Covid debate about masks, nothing to see hear, and a few who voiced real concerns with actual thought about what might be done. Now a month later nearly everyone acknowledges the big picture. 
I have from the beginning believed the NFL will open the season but have been extremely doubtful the season will go the distance. Too many variables and unknowns especially without the bubble approach. MLB is showing us in this country that no bubble is equaling no games already. The argument that they play more games and travel more is offset to me , by Football is a street fight inside of a phone booth. 
There are going to be games where a position group gets hit and the other team is going to have a field day; think offensive line. I don’t care how many people are waiting to step in; three/four/five rookies on your O-line and whoever is in the backfield is either out or in for one very long day. 
There may be a champ but it may as well be crowned on Madden, because you won’t recognize whoever holds up the trophy. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why hasn’t COVID taken the Mets yet?

God works in mysterious ways.....

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Opting out just gives an advance - it is not something they can keep although some will not be employed next year and will try.

It is possible it could get worse due to RSA mutations.  Betting on a herd immunity is not something NFL will be doing.

Absolutely, and why our country needs to a devise and learn to carry out a well executed/ united response to this or any future pandemic like it we may face IMO. Covid could mutate and start going after our younger generation with more severity next.  A national shelter in place order for 30 days. 60 in hot spots is what I would recommend. Everyone assumes they have it. ( and you might )

I wouldn't bet on anything when it comes to Covid 19. I will say however herd immunity may already be taking place in area's of our country and around the globe IMO. 

Edited by Figster

The NFL needs to announce a delay to their season and come up with a bubble plan. Start the season in October and use the next two months to bubble up. Do 4 regional bubbles, 2 divisions in each bubble. 

You play your 6 divisional games and then 4 games against the other division. There is then a league wide bye week and you have 4 divisions travel to another bubble and play the final 4 games of the season.

It seems like they need to find a way to avoid being in the same predicament as the MLB and they don't have a coherent vision.

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The NFL needs to announce a delay to their season and come up with a bubble plan. Start the season in October and use the next two months to bubble up. Do 4 regional bubbles, 2 divisions in each bubble. 

You play your 6 divisional games and then 4 games against the other division. There is then a league wide bye week and you have 4 divisions travel to another bubble and play the final 4 games of the season.

It seems like they need to find a way to avoid being in the same predicament as the MLB and they don't have a coherent vision.

As anxious as I am for football,

I'm not hating this idea...

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Logic said:

What I'm curious about is this:

Let's suppose the NFL marches full speed ahead with the season even in the event of multiple infection outbreaks. They've cynically indicated that there are plenty of football players without jobs who will be happy to step in if NFL regulars start dropping like flies. So let's assume that happens, the NFL says "damn the torpedoes!" and just keeps playing games, with an eye on playing a full season because, ya know, money.

How good and worthwhile will the product be if, for example, a team missing a bunch of key players due to COVID plays a team ALSO missing a bunch of key players due to COVID. And that's ON TOP of whoever will be missing due to regular football-related injuries. As an example, let's say it's the Bills (already without starting NT Star Lotulelei due to opt out) minus Josh Allen, Mitch Morse, Quinton Spain, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde, Taron Johnson, and Josh Norman vs the Chiefs (already without a starting guard and running back due to opt out) minus Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Mecole Hardman, Sammy Watkins, Juan Thornhill, Chris Jones, and, hell, Andy Reid. Is that a game you even want to watch? Are the final records of teams who lose this many players (and possibly coaches) to infection even reflective of the quality of those teams to begin with? Would a championship won during such a season even really be worth much?

It's either going to be a very short season, forced to shut down because of too many outbreaks, or if it IS a full season, it's going to be a very watered down level of play. Either way, it's not good.

Maybe Reid can coach from Zoom.  

I like the idea of keeping our starters and backups seperated on and off the field. I realize this is not always possible to do, but If you could minimize the chance of spreading the virus by seperating player or player groups whenever possible would be most beneficial to the teams overall health IMO. I'm of the mind Matt Barkley can win football games. Perhaps Jake Fromm can to, and this might be the season we see rookies become starters overnight. The teams with the most depth in the NFL are the best equipped to go the distance.

Buffalo is loaded for bear... 

Edited by Figster

Rethinking the Bubble idea with regard to the playing fields themselves, we don't need stadiums.

Since this season will be played with no fans, anyway, couldn't the NFL just find some wide open area in middle America and set up a dozen or so temporary football fields with artificial turf?  That would at least make the spacial aspect more feasible even if they would then have to figure out how to film it and make it look halfway decent.

And yeah, I also realize the other problem is the potentially 10,000 plus people (players and families) you'd have to find lodging for near that area.

Really probably not possible, but at the very least teams don't need stadiums to play on.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Rethinking the Bubble idea with regard to the playing fields themselves, we don't need stadiums.

Since this season will be played with no fans, anyway, couldn't the NFL just find some wide open area in middle America and set up a dozen or so temporary football fields with artificial turf?  That would at least make the spacial aspect more feasible even if they would then have to figure out how to film it and make it look halfway decent.

And yeah, I also realize the other problem is the potentially 10,000 plus people (players and families) you'd have to find lodging for near that area.

Really probably not possible, but at the very least teams don't need stadiums to play on.

They do not need the stadiums for the fans, but they need it for everything else.  

To produce high quality video - you are going to need stadium quality lighting for each field.  You will need a small-mid sized town’s worth of electricity and power to handle the Huge TV crews.  You need enough high quality cabling to move a butt ton of data and video to the booth for the spoters and the guys calling the game.

They need the stadium structure to get all of the angles for watching and having acceptable review angles.  They have cameras - including the eye in the sky - throughout every stadium and at multiple levels to help get so many views.  You also need the stadium so the traditional down the line of scrimmage view does not create a long range distortion with nothing really in the background.

The players/teams would need workout space, rehab space, and excellent space for locker rooms.  Coaching areas for watching film and getting prepared.  

The area would need a bunch of medical equipment needed at each field for things like x-rays, and MRIs during the game, and the ability to handle cases where someone needs immediate care like a neck injury or serious concussion.

There is so much more in the background of an NFL game that really requires a stadium and the proper support staff to ensure the fans enjoyment on TV and the safety of the players.

You would essentially need to create a good sized city to make this work with approximately 32 fields to allow practice, lights, data, power, and medical to handle the safety aspect.  And enough support to make it work.

It would be great - just not feasible.  Even the NHL trying to make their hub city bubble is struggling to get space for games, practice, and rehab because the numbers are just to great.  They will be better once teams are eliminated and they are down to 8 teams in the hub.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/2/2020 at 5:05 PM, Logic said:

What I'm curious about is this:

Let's suppose the NFL marches full speed ahead with the season even in the event of multiple infection outbreaks. They've cynically indicated that there are plenty of football players without jobs who will be happy to step in if NFL regulars start dropping like flies. So let's assume that happens, the NFL says "damn the torpedoes!" and just keeps playing games, with an eye on playing a full season because, ya know, money.

How good and worthwhile will the product be if, for example, a team missing a bunch of key players due to COVID plays a team ALSO missing a bunch of key players due to COVID. And that's ON TOP of whoever will be missing due to regular football-related injuries. As an example, let's say it's the Bills (already without starting NT Star Lotulelei due to opt out) minus Josh Allen, Mitch Morse, Quinton Spain, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde, Taron Johnson, and Josh Norman vs the Chiefs (already without a starting guard and running back due to opt out) minus Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Mecole Hardman, Sammy Watkins, Juan Thornhill, Chris Jones, and, hell, Andy Reid. Is that a game you even want to watch? Are the final records of teams who lose this many players (and possibly coaches) to infection even reflective of the quality of those teams to begin with? Would a championship won during such a season even really be worth much?

It's either going to be a very short season, forced to shut down because of too many outbreaks, or if it IS a full season, it's going to be a very watered down level of play. Either way, it's not good.

Here's what I'm curious about. If they do this, how many new Covid cases will emerge from players who weren't quarantined?

Why I'd like to know is if they will allow forfeits? 

This is pretty cool. Didn’t know where else to put it.

more:

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/08/look-denver-broncos-using-misting-booth-to-help-protect-players-from-covid-19/

they’re using a product called “microSure”, which is touted as a powerful nontoxic disinfectant that kills viruses like E.Coli and Coronavirus on contact.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This is pretty cool. Didn’t know where else to put it.

more:

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/08/look-denver-broncos-using-misting-booth-to-help-protect-players-from-covid-19/

they’re using a product called “microSure”, which is touted as a powerful nontoxic disinfectant that kills viruses like E.Coli and Coronavirus on contact.

In the B-team forum. 

• Haha (+1) 1

The NHL’s success so far is making me hopeful for an NFL season, even if they have to go to a “bubble” like the NHL is using (assuming players are willing to agree to it for an entire season).

Im hoping things continue to go well for the NHL. I’d say so far, so good though (knocks on wood...). 

Maybe the NFL won’t even need it if they can get the initial positive cases under control and then the players + staff all make sure they don’t do anything to put themselves at risk of contracting covid. Without a bubble I think a lot of this is going to fall to every player + employee (and their families) really adhering strongly to every precautionary guideline, especially when they’re away from the team. They’re almost going to have to create their own bubbles for the season. Meaning, keep their group of contacts small. Don’t have lots of guests over. No undue risks, like going out clubbing/bar hopping. I don’t know how it’ll work with players who have kids (especially those attending in-person schools). You can’t tell a player not to be with his kids.

This virus is so damn sneaky in how it spreads. It’s definitely going to be a challenge to pull off this season, but the NFL and teams/owners seems willing to pour an awful lot of money/resources into it. I wouldn’t bet against it happening. 

19 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The NHL’s success so far is making me hopeful for an NFL season, even if they have to go to a “bubble” like the NHL is using (assuming players are willing to agree to it for an entire season).

Im hoping things continue to go well for the NHL. I’d say so far, so good though (knocks on wood...). 

Maybe the NFL won’t even need it if they can get the initial positive cases under control and then the players + staff all make sure they don’t do anything to put themselves at risk of contracting covid. Without a bubble I think a lot of this is going to fall to every player + employee (and their families) really adhering strongly to every precautionary guideline, especially when they’re away from the team. They’re almost going to have to create their own bubbles for the season. Meaning, keep their group of contacts small. Don’t have lots of guests over. No undue risks, like going out clubbing/bar hopping. I don’t know how it’ll work with players who have kids (especially those attending in-person schools). You can’t tell a player not to be with his kids.

This virus is so damn sneaky in how it spreads. It’s definitely going to be a challenge to pull off this season, but the NFL and teams/owners seems willing to pour an awful lot of money/resources into it. I wouldn’t bet against it happening. 

Covid 19 is sneaky and has a good chance of catching a player anywhere IMO, (just like you or I). At home or on the playing field. I think the less travel the Buffalo Bills have to do, the safer they will be in my humble opinion. On the bright side most players are in excellent physical shape and of an age group that will in all likelihood fully recover from the virus in a relatively short period of time. Players with underlying health conditions should consider opting out. 

Shortening the season to 12 weeks and allow all teams to have 3 weekends off for family time might make the bubble idea go over better IMO. Be flexible with the timing of the breaks if possible by allowing an opponent change when needed. I think the added breaks would put enough gaps in the season for teams to regroup and get their star players healthy. This would help keep the quality of the entertainment at a high level and keep the best of the best on the playing field making big plays. 12, 14, or 16 games. If you add the breaks I think it increases the odds of finishing the season succesfully in my opinion. Greater odds of seeing Mahomes going head to head with Allen in a knock down drag out slug fest for the AFC Championship.  :  )

Players miss time every season for health related issues. The games have never stopped because of it. Done safely,  this season will be no different.

Edited by Figster