EJ Gaines to opt out for 2020

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

While i'm sure he had his reasons, he didn't play a down of football last season. Opting out this season would mean that he'll be 2 1/2 years removed from playing when he tries to comeback. Maybe he'll get invited to a camp next year. But I can't see teams being very interested in an almost 30 year old journeyman Corner who hasn't played a down in almost 3 years.

He does not need to get invited.  He already has a contract with the Bills for next year.  

He does not lose this contract - it rolls to next year.  He may or may not make the team, but his contract is set.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

He does not need to get invited.  He already has a contract with the Bills for next year.  

He does not lose this contract - it rolls to next year.  He may or may not make the team, but his contract is set.

It's still in-place, but they could cut him after the season.  Or maybe even right now/during the season.  Is there any provision that prevents them from doing this, considering they can't play this year anyway and aren't injured?

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's still in-place, but they could cut him after the season.  Or maybe even right now/during the season.  Is there any provision that prevents them from doing this, considering they can't play this year anyway and aren't injured?

I'd imagine they'd keep him on the opt-out COVID list for the year and then cut him in the Offseason. Maybe they'll bring him into camp. But he certainly won't be given the kind of opportunity he had right now.

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

My understanding if they opt out - they can not be cut until the new NFL year starts.  They are essentially on hold.  

They are for all purposes not on a contract and their contract resumes after the season as if this year did not happen.

He may get cut next year, but the limited info is high risk guys still get an accrued season for retirement - the rest is just a pause.

11 hours ago, Locomark said:

Well at least he can’t blame injury as the reason for not being a starter / nickel this year. Let just cut bait on this dude next year. This team keeps giving him a zillion chances and he’s never on the field. Wasn’t Beane high on availability ? 

Bring him in for camp in 2021. He was signed on a vet minimum deal so literally it costs the team nothing to kick the tires one last time on a player that you know can fit the scheme. It also gives his body a year of rest maybe he can get healthy?

On 8/2/2020 at 11:34 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Kroft reported. Technically he could still opt out but he looked pretty happy walking in the door in the video yesterday 

After I wrote that post I went for a run and saw Kroft running drills in his backyard with his dog.  2020 is a strange year!

• Haha (+1) 1