EJ Gaines to opt out for 2020

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Smart move for EJ.  Not guaranteed to make the team, pockets $150k, stays healthy, and gets a shot next year.  

EDIT:  Kroft may be next.  He has $3.6m guaranteed this year, right?  Young guy, not sure if he has kids but he is married, and may have a lot of guaranteed cash to risk.  He's kind of nuts to play this year if he has that kind of guarantee - no season = no guaranteed cash, but tolling the contract keeps it in play when we hopefully have cleared this thing a year from now. 

Saw him in the bills video they did recently of players checking in at the facility. 

37 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The only thing about EJ is that when healthy he is the best CB opposite White, and I’m not sure it’s close. Again, the injuries stink and have hurt what probably would of been a very good career.

I don’t agree. He can look great for a half and then be average for another half. He also is not a in defender. I’m fine moving on. He’s had his multitude of chances. We should have skipped on Josh Norman and signed Logan Ryan. 

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Smart move for EJ.  Not guaranteed to make the team, pockets $150k, stays healthy, and gets a shot next year.  

EDIT:  Kroft may be next.  He has $3.6m guaranteed this year, right?  Young guy, not sure if he has kids but he is married, and may have a lot of guaranteed cash to risk.  He's kind of nuts to play this year if he has that kind of guarantee - no season = no guaranteed cash, but tolling the contract keeps it in play when we hopefully have cleared this thing a year from now. 

Kroft reported. Technically he could still opt out but he looked pretty happy walking in the door in the video yesterday 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kroft reported. Technically he could still opt out but he looked pretty happy walking in the door in the video yesterday 

Yeah, doubtful he opts-out.  Gaines is probably a smart move.

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The only thing about EJ is that when healthy he is the best CB opposite White, and I’m not sure it’s close. Again, the injuries stink and have hurt what probably would of been a very good career.

Really how can you tell as infrequently as he's been able to stay on the field?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

When are we in the clear with opt outs? Is today the last day to do it?

I think the last day is Aug 3rd

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

I don’t agree. He can look great for a half and then be average for another half. He also is not a in defender. I’m fine moving on. He’s had his multitude of chances. We should have skipped on Josh Norman and signed Logan Ryan. 

You are not getting Logan Ryan for what we got Josh Norman for 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sounds like they did sign Akeem King to replace his CB spot 

wondered this in the other thread.
be nice to see some theoretical comparison between the type of players. I read King was had boo boo foot last year ?

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

agreed about injuries and potential.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

wondered this in the other thread.
be nice to see some theoretical comparison between the type of players. I read King was had boo boo foot last year ?

agreed about injuries and potential.

3/12, nice to see you.  Glad you’re back.  Have a great Sunday with the fam.

• Thank you (+1) 1

As to Gaines, I’m sure he had his reasons.  Liked him when he played, but can t rely on him as he has such a long injury history.  I do wish people would stop with the at least he was paid this year $150 K.  If a documented medical reason qualifying he gets $350 k and does not need to pay it back.  If a personal reason which is fine, it is a stipend and has to repay it of no conflict to retain him next year.  If he has a contract through 2021 and at least which is all of them $, then he loses from his futures contract so it’s like he gets an advance.  He’s not getting paid to do not thing of he doesn’t have a medical reason.  I agree with that position, and a guy like Star who had a serious coronary issue younger qualifies in the $350 k category.

• Thank you (+1) 1

While i'm sure he had his reasons, he didn't play a down of football last season. Opting out this season would mean that he'll be 2 1/2 years removed from playing when he tries to comeback. Maybe he'll get invited to a camp next year. But I can't see teams being very interested in an almost 30 year old journeyman Corner who hasn't played a down in almost 3 years.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1