EJ Gaines to opt out for 2020

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

When are we in the clear with opt outs? Is today the last day to do it?

They are supposed to have a week from when they sign a new agreement, which hasn't happened yet but should today.  However that's expected to be shortened, so Tuesday or Wednesday.

Well at least he can’t blame injury as the reason for not being a starter / nickel this year. Let just cut bait on this dude next year. This team keeps giving him a zillion chances and he’s never on the field. Wasn’t Beane high on availability ? 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

This guy is always leaving the team....

Leaving for a global pandemic is memorable, but lacks the flair of leaving at halftime. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 16
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Well at least he can’t blame injury as the reason for not being a starter / nickel this year. Let just cut bait on this dude next year. This team keeps giving him a zillion chances and he’s never on the field. Wasn’t Beane high on availability ? 

Yeah, probably ends his career in Buffalo, if not the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Locomark said:

The only thing about EJ is that when healthy he is the best CB opposite White, and I’m not sure it’s close. Again, the injuries stink and have hurt what probably would of been a very good career.

• Like (+1) 2

I was really excited to see him resign. Thought he would be a solid depth player. I’d have him beind White, Norman, Wallace and probably Johnson.  

And I don’t want to question anyone’s decision to opt out for COVID reasons

However of our whole roster I’m not surprised it’s him lol 

well maybe next season! 

Smart move for EJ.  Not guaranteed to make the team, pockets $150k, stays healthy, and gets a shot next year.  

EDIT:  Kroft may be next.  He has $3.6m guaranteed this year, right?  Young guy, not sure if he has kids but he is married, and may have a lot of guaranteed cash to risk.  He's kind of nuts to play this year if he has that kind of guarantee - no season = no guaranteed cash, but tolling the contract keeps it in play when we hopefully have cleared this thing a year from now. 

Edited by SectionC3