Beane and McDermott media sessions 8/2

Found it interesting (per Beane) that he has to have the roster UNDER 80 to be able to bring just one person in for a workout. Will certainly hamper readiness to replace injured and under-performing players.

Same with this 48-hour claim period each week. Says it will be a five-day entry period to sign someone and get him in. Very time consuming.

Injuries will be much more detrimental than ever. And depth on the roster more important than ever!

They need to increase the roster limit. 53 won't be enough mid-season.

• Like (+1) 1

Hearing more and more about the new restrictions in place, really highlights the importance of focusing on continuity, depth and player smarts. I think our Bills are built as well as anyone for this!

• Like (+1) 5

Beane on extending contracts in the midst of all this, given next year's cap projections:

Will operate under the assumption next year's cap will be $175M. Had been planning on it being close to $210M. Will have to be responsible.

Coach up now.

Coach praising OBD staff on getting the building ready.

Watching other leagues to learn how to make this work best.

Says this really is a leadership challenge, but he's confident the players are up to it.

Kim Jones on the call: "Can you tell your players, 'Don't be the Marlins?'"

Edited by scribo

16 minutes ago, scribo said:

Found it interesting (per Beane) that he has to have the roster UNDER 80 to be able to bring just one person in for a workout. Will certainly hamper readiness to replace injured and under-performing players.

Same with this 48-hour claim period each week. Says it will be a five-day entry period to sign someone and get him in. Very time consuming.

Injuries will be much more detrimental than ever. And depth on the roster more important than ever!

They need to increase the roster limit. 53 won't be enough mid-season.

Agree on roster expansion.

This years good teams will be determined to a large part on chance but also on two other things:
   A full organizational ability to buy into the need to isolate and be selfless. I think each and everyone of us are already mentally and emotional fried with this year. I couldn’t imagine having to re- up my dedication at this moment for a possible 7 month slog where my health was as important to the organization as everyone else’s. A trainer Or equipment guy or custodian with Covid Is every bit as valuable as a player. Anyone can screw a team up this year. That is a wrinkle that can’t be understated.

Also, a GM and front office that works hand in hand with their coaching staff is a HUGE advantage this year. The five day waiting period and weekly practice squad exemption/ evaluation in concert with the 48 hour poaching period is three dimensional chess. The one question I didn’t hear was in regards to the Tuesday cut off. Is there and difference for those playing Monday or Thursday night games. IMO they should at least kill the Thursday night games for the season but I don’t think they will due to TV contracts+revenue.

• Like (+1) 2

A big pet peeve for radio show hosts are callers who start each call by asking the host how he/she is doing (despite always being told by the call screener not to do so). So it is hysterical to hear there reporters (who most do radio shows regularly) do it over an over today in this webcast interview.

• Like (+1) 1

This is actually incredibly interesting.  Thanks for the updates!  Sounds like Beane, McDermott and Ownership are about as on top of this as an organization can be. 

Back up, or mask up ?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1