CJ Mosley opts out

It’s worth noting that most people contract COVID at home.  I doubt Mosley or Star or any of these guys are locking down for the foreseeable future and having groceries delivered to their homes-turned-bunkers.  

A guy like Avery Bradley opted out of the NBA bubble over COVID concerns and that bubble looks like the safest place in America right now. 

I get that NFL is a contact sport, but every team will have protocols and there’s one game per week.  Teams will have rapid testing and the best doctors/medical treatments money can buy.  

I won’t question a players motives (especially those who are high risk) for sitting out, but heaven help us if we start seeing pictures during the season of opted out players on the beach somewhere. 

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There have not been "many studies" that demonstrate that COVID19 causes lasting cardiac issues or any other long term consequences.  The virus hasn't even been around for a year yet.  How can there be any solid studies that look at the long term health consequences of this virus when it hasn't even been a year since the very first person on the planet contracted it?  

Any severe respiratory infection, COVID or otherwise, can damage the lungs permanently, especially if you end up on a vent.  COVID is not unique in that respect at all. 

This is the study I read the other day. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is the study I read the other day. 

Thanks for posting the link.

Context is everything.  Inflammation of the heart is called myocarditis.  Any systemic infection, including regular seasonal influenza can cause it.  The fact that people with COVID19 infections have a higher incidence of myocarditis than people who are not sick is not surprising at all.  Just so you don't have to take the word of a random internet poster (the irascible Inigo Montoya ?) claiming to have a medical background, here is a quick link to an information piece that talks about myocarditis.  It clearly states that common viral infections are a very common cause of myocarditis.  Time will tell if there is a higher incidence of myocarditis with COVID versus all the other viral respiratory infections. I suspect that if they did an MRI of people following an infection with influenza, the regular flu, they would get similar numbers.   It would be more surprising if COVID didn't cause myocarditis in some patients.  It would also be surprising if the vast majority didn't recover with no long term consequences, especially young healthy patients.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000149.htm

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Easy week 1 win.

That Jets organization is brutal. 

They lost their best 2 defenders and leaders before TC even started! Our O should have their way week 1 

if there is a week 1.......seriously

4 hours ago, Doc said:

And forfeit billions, while other leagues are giving it a go?  Seriously?

Seriously -- MLB is about to cancel, who knows what the NBA bubble will produce, and the NHL is a crapshoot. About the only pro sport in action is the PGA.

7 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

if there is a week 1.......seriously

Seriously -- MLB is about to cancel, who knows what the NBA bubble will produce, and the NHL is a crapshoot. About the only pro sport in action is the PGA.

Quite the irrationally pessimistic view...

MLB is having problems.  Playing multiple games a week, against multiple teams is a problem in this environment and the Marlins need to be a cautionary tale to the NFL.  

NBA bubble looks like the safest place in America...

NHL seems to be starting off absolutely fine. 

• Like (+1) 2

The virus seems to have given the final push to a number of wealthy veterans, some of whom have had a lot of success and some of whom have lost whatever love of the game they once had, to see what retirement will feel like. 
Ultimately, this will be to everyone’s advantage.

44 minutes ago, Bills Oil Company said:

As opposed to Shaniqua, the loud black person with no manners. 

No, just this Karen who calls the cops on people for doing normal stuff, I take it you haven’t seen her YouTube debut,  it’s pretty amazing ?? every so often I go down the YouTube hole with vids, yup, character flaw on my behalf ?, that’s where I saw her in action. Doing stupid stuff knows no boundaries when it come to humans ?

Edited by Don Otreply

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

It’s worth noting that most people contract COVID at home.  I doubt Mosley or Star or any of these guys are locking down for the foreseeable future and having groceries delivered to their homes-turned-bunkers.  

A guy like Avery Bradley opted out of the NBA bubble over COVID concerns and that bubble looks like the safest place in America right now. 

I get that NFL is a contact sport, but every team will have protocols and there’s one game per week.  Teams will have rapid testing and the best doctors/medical treatments money can buy.  

I won’t question a players motives (especially those who are high risk) for sitting out, but heaven help us if we start seeing pictures during the season of opted out players on the beach somewhere. 

You have to remember that the bubble at the time he decided was in the middle of the state with one of the highest outbreak in cases.  Even with strict protocols we're seeing already in baseball how easily this thing spreads without the bubble.  If I was truly concerned about contracting Covid I'd stay at home going out as little as possible.  You're absolutely correct though if we see Mosley partying at a club that Jets fans will be pissed.

30 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Quite the irrationally pessimistic view...

MLB is having problems.  Playing multiple games a week, against multiple teams is a problem in this environment and the Marlins need to be a cautionary tale to the NFL.  

NBA bubble looks like the safest place in America...

NHL seems to be starting off absolutely fine. 

not really, just highly pragmatic. The NFL is the most contact-driven pro sport and the opt-outs are mounting

the MLB is having more than problems.....https://sports.yahoo.com/report-rob-manfred-warns-that-mlb-could-shut-down-by-monday-if-it-cant-contain-coronavirus-210743171.html

NBA & NHL, we shall see. 

Sarasota, you’re northern Tampa neighbor, I don’t see the NBA not as a contact sport and also no pads new helmets if they approve them and so on.

I’m only saying the NBA guys have more fluids than just about any sport all over each other, and the MLB guys unless we’re talking Umpires, Catchers, and hitters being even remotely close.  Who knows and although I’m in the medical field, not just about anyone really knows everything to protect everyone.

Only part I have researched and only bringing up to help my friends here Is there is some work that a cocktail of otc, vitamins c,d, and zinc can help a little in prophylaxis.  Now some docs added if we had access like in many parts of the world to otc hydrochloroquine at a very low does meaning 200 mg., twice a week, there are some early promising results in lower incidences.  Not a doctor, just work with them for 25 years so I’m not going to proclaim an authority, just do you’re own hw.  See if the investment at least in the vitamins might be a good decision for you.  Everyone should figure out what’s best for them.  Kind of stinks as Hydro has been used  as a prophylaxis since the Korean War for malaria.  It probably was used more for yellow fever which was a true virus vs, malaria as a parasite infection, and before the funny responses, not yellow fever the attraction to asian women.  I know you guys so thought I would get ahead of it.  Hope this helps for those want to look into it on their own.

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Sarasota, you’re northern Tampa neighbor, I don’t see the NBA not as a contact sport and also no pads new helmets if they approve them and so on.

I’m only saying the NBA guys have more fluids than just about any sport all over each other, and the MLB guys unless we’re talking Umpires, Catchers, and hitters being even remotely close.  Who knows and although I’m in the medical field, not just about anyone really knows everything to protect everyone.

Only part I have researched and only bringing up to help my friends here Is there is some work that a cocktail of otc, vitamins c,d, and zinc can help a little in prophylaxis.  Now some docs added if we had access like in many parts of the world to otc hydrochloroquine at a very low does meaning 200 mg., twice a week, there are some early promising results in lower incidences.  Not a doctor, just work with them for 25 years so I’m not going to proclaim an authority, just do you’re own hw.  See if the investment at least in the vitamins might be a good decision for you.  Everyone should figure out what’s best for them.  Kind of stinks as Hydro has been used  as a prophylaxis since the Korean War for malaria.  It probably was used more for yellow fever which was a true virus vs, malaria as a parasite infection, and before the funny responses, not yellow fever the attraction to asian women.  I know you guys so thought I would get ahead of it.  Hope this helps for those want to look into it on their own.

Good post MGK .......

1 minute ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Good post MGK .......

Got you’re back Sarasota. Do you’re own hw..  you think it’s a good idea,  go for it.  Don’t buy it, you’re call.  I appreciate the sentiment and glad you didn’t take it the wrong way as I agree with you on a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doc said:

And forfeit billions, while other leagues are giving it a go?  Seriously?

If there isn’t a bubble, then they aren’t really giving it a go. They are going to get paid either way. Screw roger goodell and his greedy ass but I’m sure people like yourself will just blame the players. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm curious if anyone tracks the health of survivors. How many have heart issues, clotting, long term breathing impairment?

Seeing as it’s only been a few months since the first virus case in the US, I’m not sure how we would even begin to define “long term.”

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Seeing as it’s only been a few months since the first virus case in the US, I’m not sure how we would even begin to define “long term.”

Also need a solid control group to create an effective study, which there certainly has not been to this date. There are no long term studies on COVID, despite what some people will attempt to peddle. 

2 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

If there isn’t a bubble, then they aren’t really giving it a go. They are going to get paid either way. Screw roger goodell and his greedy ass but I’m sure people like yourself will just blame the players. 

As of this weekend there have been 4.7 million confirmed cases of COVID19 infection in the US.  Many epidemiologists suspect that undiagnosed cases are probably ten times that number, but even if we use a very conservative five times that number for undiagnosed cases, that means that 25 million people, or 1 in 12 Americans have already had COVID19.  I don't think that any of those people contracted the virus playing football.  They were simply going to work and the grocery store and doing their regular activities. 

I would imagine many NFL player will contract the virus even if we don't have a season when they go to the grocery store and Walmart,  just like everyone else.  As I noted in a post above, since young healthy people (insert NFL players here) are more likely to die from the regular seasonal flu or pneumonia or car accidents driving to the stadium than they are to die from COVID19, I don't see what is to be gained by shutting down the season.  I don't recall the NFL shutting down during bad flu seasons in years past, and the flu is more deadly than COVID19 for the typical NFL player.

If someone wants to opt out of the season that's fine, and that is exactly what some players are choosing to do.  I guarantee you that some of those players that opt out are going to contract COVID while they are at home opting out.  I'm not a big Goodell fan myself, but you insinuate that Goodell is forcing the players to play out of greed.  That is clearly not the case. 

I know plenty of people that have been going to work since day one of this pandemic making $12.50 an hour to put food on their family's table.  NFL players should have the same opportunity.  Let each player weigh the risks and benefits of playing and make their own informed decision just like I have and my friends working for $12.50 an hour have.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Not sure what you mean. They expressed their opinion and I expressed mine.

And you seemed to have agreed with half of my post (that opt outs by good players are bad overall), so not sure what was your point.

You were berating them for their opinion. My opinion is similar to yours, but I think it is just as valid to be happy the Jets lost a good player and that the Bills will have an easier schedule as a result.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Your shtick is old and tired.

Care to elaborate?

7 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Not sure what you mean. They expressed their opinion and I expressed mine.

And you seemed to have agreed with half of my post (that opt outs by good players are bad overall), so not sure what was your point.

Not sure what you mean either :) I didn't want to be judge in this. I just think that it is bad to wish injury to anyone, and in similar way it is bad to be happy when players opt out due to COVID. And I used Brady as an extreme example where I can have some understanding when people wish other players something bad.

Interesting take from a mod ? Looking back I could've been more civil too (avoid using "genius" and "stupid"), but still. Insect, really?

I just find it weird that some people are happy about this, not realizing that it probably hurts us all. Today its Jets, tomorrow it can be us. How can people have fun from this is beyond me. If thats holier than thou for you then you have pretty low bar.

Anyway, I fly away from this topic. 

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bch3dy6evlh7wm81tm5

OK Karen...:ph34r:

1 hour ago, MJS said:

You were berating them for their opinion. My opinion is similar to yours, but I think it is just as valid to be happy the Jets lost a good player and that the Bills will have an easier schedule as a result.

Care to elaborate?

More like Karen to elaborate right @Gugny?!?!:lol:

• Haha (+1) 2