Best thing about new collective bargaining agreement

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29553309/expect-nfl-training-camp-holdouts-2020-why-to-do-coronavirus

A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club's preseason training camp on that player's mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Fines can still be waived, if you're on your rookie deal. Customarily, when players have held out of camp and ultimately agreed to new deals, the team has tended to waive the camp holdout fines. There is a new rule in the CBA that prohibits teams from doing that. In Article 42, Section 1(vi) and 1(vii) it reads, "Any such fines shall be mandatory, and shall not be reduced in amount or waived by the Club, in whole or in part, but must be paid by the player or deducted by the Club." But that wording doesn't appear in Sections 1(viii) or 1(ix), which are the ones that deal with players on their rookie contracts. For players who are still on their rookie deals, teams are still permitted (though obviously not required) to forgive camp holdout fines. If a veteran player such as, say, DeAndre Hopkins, were to hold out, his team would not be allowed to waive his fines.

Is this limited to brand-new rookies who have never signed their first deal?  Like Joey Bosa a couple years ago?

And plus, too, wont the team just add the random fine amount onto the new contract so the player can have it 'deducted' and still net the agreed deal price?

I prefer if teams didnt wiggle or waive out of this.  I prefer a league where the teams actually enforce the fines, instead of wink-nudge fuggedaboutit.

Edited by maddenboy

8 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

Is this limited to brand-new rookies who have never signed their first deal?  Like Joey Bosa a couple years ago?

And plus, too, wont the team just add the random fine amount onto the new contract so the player can have it 'deducted' and still net the agreed deal price?

I prefer if teams didnt wiggle or waive out of this.  I prefer a league where the teams actually enforce the fines, instead of wink-nudge fuggedaboutit.

If you aren't under contract how could you get fined?

• Like (+1) 1

I still don’t understand the mindset that it’s completely fine for a team to cut a guy before his contract is up but get unnecessarily upset when a player holds out. Holding out is the best leverage a player has to get paid more money-if you ever listen to the other players they never hold it against one of their teammates when they hold out. If it doesn’t bother the players, why does it bother the fans so much? Please don’t give me the well they make millions to play a game response, the owners make even more millions to just WATCH these guys play a game 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I still don’t understand the mindset that it’s completely fine for a team to cut a guy before his contract is up but get unnecessarily upset when a player holds out. Holding out is the best leverage a player has to get paid more money-if you ever listen to the other players they never hold it against one of their teammates when they hold out. If it doesn’t bother the players, why does it bother the fans so much? Please don’t give me the well they make millions to play a game response, the owners make even more millions to just WATCH these guys play a game 

I  especially understand guys holding out at the end of rookie contract but the guys who sign the next contract then hold out quickly. It is not an ethics situation but why not just get a better contract in first place?

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I  especially understand guys holding out at the end of rookie contract but the guys who sign the next contract then hold out quickly. It is not an ethics situation but why not just get a better contract in first place?

And how do you feel when a team signs a guy to a three year deal and then they cut him after year 1?  It's the same thing.  If the guy plays well he wants to get paid more. If he plays poorly the team wants out.  I have no issue with teams cutting guys, but I support the player holding out for a new deal any time they want.  The real money is made in signing bonus in the NFL and if they outplay their contract they should get paid.

All that said, the NFL and NFLPA has got the rookie structure dialed in nicely now.  The slotting of money prevents the insane contracts to first round rookies of yesteryear like Sam Bradford got.  It pushes more money to the vets.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, maddenboy said:

Yes, this is effectively what they do today, but with the new rules it counts against the salary cap as it should.

15 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

And how do you feel when a team signs a guy to a three year deal and then they cut him after year 1?  It's the same thing.  If the guy plays well he wants to get paid more. If he plays poorly the team wants out.  I have no issue with teams cutting guys, but I support the player holding out for a new deal any time they want.  The real money is made in signing bonus in the NFL and if they outplay their contract they should get paid.

All that said, the NFL and NFLPA has got the rookie structure dialed in nicely now.  The slotting of money prevents the insane contracts to first round rookies of yesteryear like Sam Bradford got.  It pushes more money to the vets.  

I am not bothered by the cutting after a year because usually the player gets a nice signing bonus and makes a good chunk of change just for signing. I also know players can buy insurance against injury which would still make them multi millionaires. I do see your point but just disagree.