Bob Costas Brings Up A Good Point about NFL Players

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Even if you wrote that off for some reason there is inherent risk to a lot of players getting the virus if we don't know the long term health consequences. We could be losing a lot of players down the line to possible heart and respiratory damage down the line. We really don't know what the long term impact of this virus is. I get people want to play the season and have football but the league needs to do a legitimate bubble plan because the MLB is proving there is no other way to do it. 

Do 4 regional bubbles, 8 teams in each bubble. You play 10 games in the bubble (6 against your division 4 against another division) you then swap to another bubble to play your final 4 games against a different division (thus only half the league needs to travel) and you get a 14 game season with 2 league wide bye weeks to help ease quarantine measures and provide a sort of reset twice. 

Play in Canada like the NHL.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

First of all, their are plenty of coaches over the age of 50 in the NFL. A significant number of players who ARE fat also have secondary risk factors like Diabetes and High Blood Pressure as well as more mundane ailments that the public is not always aware of (like say Asthma for example). Are you a licensed physician? Have you any medical training at ALL??? What exactly qualifies you to even speculate on the vulnerabilities of players and coaches???  

And while I am on my soapbox, how about players wives and children. How many players have wives who are pregnant or may have illnesses that we know nothing about.

We all want football back. But until a vaccine can be mass produced and distributed, players and everyone around them are at significant risk as we all are. If the NFL has to cancel the season so be it.

The players can opt out.

Why cancel the season?

1 minute ago, inaugural balls said:

right......let's see if that becomes issue.

Yeah, right, let's just wait till players and coaches start becoming seriously ill and/or DIE...

Aren't over 150,000 deaths enough for you? Go talk to any licensed physician and ask him what his medical opinion of players weighing 350# or more is... There is a word for that you know... It's called "Morbidly Obese"... And men who are "Morbidly Obese" are at the greatest rick from this disease...

And then too there are the wives and children of the players to be concerned about. How many of them have to get sick and possibly DIE before you take this GLOBAL PANDEMIC seriously???

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DefenseWins said:

Yeah, right, let's just wait till players and coaches start becoming seriously ill and/or DIE...

Aren't over 150,000 deaths enough for you? Go talk to any licensed physician and ask him what his medical opinion of players weighing 350# or more is... There is a word for that you know... It's called "Morbidly Obese"... And men who are "Morbidly Obese" are at the greatest rick from this disease...

And then too there are the wives and children of the players to be concerned about. How many of them have to get sick and possibly DIE before you take this GLOBAL PANDEMIC seriously???

Are you ok?

You sound all in a panic.

I do take it seriously. I think the league and players do as well.  

This is all predicated on the season actually materializing and not being scrapped, but in what COULD BE encouraging the NFLPA revealed that in the offseason 90 players tested positive for COVID.  And in the first week of training camp (since Tuesday; they've taken COVID-19 tests three times) 75 more players were confirmed to have been infected (or to have been around someone who has).  And it's been a cross-section of body types and positions, including OL & DL like Andrew Whitworth, Lane Johnson, Tyeler Davison, etc.  To date, while the scariest story comes from Whitworth, whose wife, children, and parents all contracted it, the players have not had severe cases or residual concerns, that anyone knows of (since future ramifications can't/aren't known).

Just looking at it logically, BMI does not and could not singularly encapsulate the status of someone's health, least of all professional athletes with other-worldly muscle mass.

I'm not dismissing concerns- or saying some can't/won't emerge.  And larger athletes coupled with underlying issues is a recipe for terrible worry.  But we have seen some heavier professional athletes contract COVID. 

Edited by Midwest1981

3 minutes ago, Midwest1981 said:

This is all predicated on the season actually materializing and not being scrapped, but in what COULD BE encouraging the NFLPA revealed that in the offseason 90 players tested positive for COVID.  And in the first week of training camp (since Tuesday; they've taken COVID-19 tests three times) 72 more players were confirmed to have been infected. 

Not all were confirmed as infected.  Siran Neal failed test but passed next test.  They are using three successful tests in a row (I under NE players can cheat on test) so it is likely they will get some false positives.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Not all were confirmed as infected.  Siran Neal failed test but passed next test.  They are using three successful tests in a row (I under NE players can cheat on test) so it is likely they will get some false positives.

I actually need to edit my post- I knew better but forgot to make it clear that not ALL 75 players who have been placed on the reserve/COVID list actually tested positive; some were just in close proximity with someone who did/has.  In fact, on Tuesday when the list was 30 players long, the NFLPA texted that "only" 21 of those players had actually tested positive themselves; the other 9 were just sequestered out of an abundance of caution.

Edited by Midwest1981

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Play in Canada like the NHL.

I thought we hated playing in Canada (see Toronto days) ?.  Just kidding Promo.  I did a little hw. and the incidence of confirmed COVID 19 is 1.38% of the US population, and .3% of the Canadian population.  What’s even more interesting the US has a population of 328 mil. vs. 37.6 mil. In Canada so yes, it would be safer to play up there.  The problem is I thought the CFL is in the Spring because during the NFL season it’s just too darn cold up there.  I could be wrong and they simply want to be opposite of the NFL given its popularity even in Canada.

The NFLPA already took a vote to say heck no to a bubble plan so not even worth discussing at this point.

35 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Canada is not allowing US football players to go there.

It is questionable whether even US members of CFL teams will be allowed to participate if CFL has the proposed shortened bubble season.

I thought CFL was cancelled.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I thought CFL was cancelled.

It has been determined that if it is played it will be bubbled in Winnipeg who put it largest support bid.

CFL unlike NFL depends heavily on ticket sales and have been asking for help from Canadian government.

It is not cancelled yet but they need support from a lot including CFL Player Association.

There are a number of articles out there with mixture of speculation, made up facts and facts like TSW.

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/with-nothing-to-show-canadian-football-league-has-virtually-nothing-to-say

Edited by Limeaid

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

Are you ok?

You sound all in a panic.

I do take it seriously. I think the league and players do as well.  

You take it seriously but this guy takes it more serious so he is better than you and and his opinion is better than yours.  He knows.... “ask any physician”.  96% of deaths from Covid are over 45 years old.    There are risks and there are always risks in life.    If this blows up they will do what needs to be done but the nfl will get as much revenue as they can until that time.   Some of the coaches are the ones more at risk and they all need to make a decision for themselves.   And anyone with family members also matter that is why they are allowing opt outs.  With what is happening in MLB I have doubts about the nfl season.   It is a virtual guarantee some games will get cancelled and they can’t do a double header later.   So you can have a situation where the bills play 13 games the jets 12 pats 14 etc and you just go by winning %.  People won’t like it but like I said the nfl will get whatever revenue they can. 

17 hours ago, SCBills said:

Fauci had a real bad look in the exchange with Jim Jordan yesterday.  

Im 100% for the protests, as I am people being able to open their businesses.  However when Fauci picks and chooses who he will recommend shut down (churches, businesses etc) and can’t bring himself to say the massive gatherings of millions of people in the streets shouldn’t be shut down....well, that’s when you lose credibility with people like me, and further drive home the reasoning for why certain people didn’t trust him to begin with. 

I don't think he did, that was an impossible question for Fauci to answer and not have to "get political".  Its a complicated issue, Jim Jordan is great interrogator for things he believes in.  Jordan knew Fauci would be able to answer yes or no but berated him anyway to serve his agenda.  That stuff happens all the time in those hearings.  Should protesting for what people believe are ongoing wrongs being committed have to be on hold because there is a pandemic?   I would not participate and the rioting is wrong period, the police have shown a lot of restraint while getting assaulted during all of this.  But change is happening as a result.  

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't believe this. What is your source?

I’ll see if I can find it.  It was a pretty small sample, and included results from other countries as well, but the results nonetheless give a sense of the extent to which the public has been conditioned to believe things are far worse than they really are.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nice move!  

The minute you get a post like yours that responds to actual arguments through a post without any, and then you throw in calling a probable male a female name, and throwing insults besides ... well, you know you're going to see an argument with some intellectual heft, a real thought leader.

Your post, nothing but insults, is literally pointless.

The post you quoted asked legit questions that had points that went unanswered.   I guess calling someone a Karen and a clown is insulting but when you have a post that I responded to that was off the wall, uncalled for and from a stand point of higher intelligence and a better moral position (both of which are not proven either way) you can expect to to have insults unless you think I should just take that stuff with no response.  Sorry, I will defend myself but I will also add snark and sarcasm are hard for people to receive in a forum, in person there would have been smiles and maybe a legit dialogue but on the internet everyone is a tough guy.

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’ll see if I can find it.  It was a pretty small sample, and included results from other countries as well, but the results nonetheless give a sense of the extent to which the public has been conditioned to believe things are far worse than they really are.

I'm going to guess there either was no such study or the source you got it from is misrepresenting the result.