Bob Costas Brings Up A Good Point about NFL Players

13 hours ago, Beast said:

Give me one good reason why Bob Costas's opinion about this is worth listening to. 

Did he get a medical degree since I last checked on his bio?

I bet you listen to plenty of idiots who don’t have a medical degree say this whole thing is a myth.  This guy is now the voice of right wing sports:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1270053554103992322?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1270053554103992322|twgr^&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thedailybeast.com%2Finside-clay-travis-outkick-the-right-wing-sports-site-pushing-covid-trutherism

Edited by C.Biscuit97

4 hours ago, cd1 said:

Oh FFS.  The Eduardo Rodriguez thing has been WAY overblown.  The so called “complications” are very mild and he’s expected to play again this year.  And it’s ONE player.

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

why would you listen to any of these guys, no matter what "side" they are on. Why not research the numbers for yourself, analyse the available data out there, and educate yourself and make informed decisions based on that knowledge. Seems the right way to go to me.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You don’t need a PhD or an MD to understand the demographics and risk factors of this disease.  Much about the disease is not known, but we do know that young adults and school kids are at far less risk from CV 19 than from other diseases and perils that we readily allow them to be exposed to.  The media has done its best to misrepresent this, in part by focusing disproportionate attention on extreme outlier cases and in part by just never mentioning it, and focusing on “cases” ...

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I agree with  your sentiments, “some folk” here may not realize it but they come across as if they don’t give a ? about anyone or anything other than their  “god dang constitutional right to be entertained”’ regardless of the consequences for anyone else, and the players should just shut up and entertain them, it is a massively F d up way to think. Sure hope I’m wrong on this but some of the stuff I’ve read here says otherwise. Let’s all hope for the best outcome for these young men and their families, and if we are real darned lucky we get to watch our guys play some football. 

Go Bills!!!

I think you are wrong on this. Players have the ability to opt out of the season. No one is forcing them. No fans are outside their homes, demanding that they sacrifice themselves before the people. There’s not one person in this country, that isn’t aware of the virus, and your characterization of people wanting football as some kind of backwards thinking redneck, is exactly the kind of mindset, that has allowed us to be pitted against each other during this time. 

As a fellow Bills fan, I want a season. I want something that resembles normal in my life. That doesn’t make me a bad person. It doesn’t make me a bad fan, and it doesn’t mean that I value human life, more or less than someone else. 

There is no right way out of this, but building community and strengthening bonds, can go a long way to help. Sports plays a huge part in equalizing people from different sides of issues and life. I think the absence of that, has made this past 4 months more difficult; and the continued absence will make the coming months worse. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, mannc said:

You don’t need a PhD or an MD to understand the demographics and risk factors of this disease.  Much about the disease is not known, but we do know that young adults and school kids are at far less risk from CV 19 than from other diseases and perils that we readily allow them to be exposed to.  The media has done its best to misrepresent this, in part by focusing disproportionate attention on extreme outlier cases and in part by just never mentioning it, and focusing on “cases” ...

we don’t know the long term effects.  There have been cases of young people who have recovered but have significant lung damage. It’s insane to say what long term effect this can have right now. 

38 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I think you are wrong on this. Players have the ability to opt out of the season. No one is forcing them. No fans are outside their homes, demanding that they sacrifice themselves before the people. There’s not one person in this country, that isn’t aware of the virus, and your characterization of people wanting football as some kind of backwards thinking redneck, is exactly the kind of mindset, that has allowed us to be pitted against each other during this time. 

As a fellow Bills fan, I want a season. I want something that resembles normal in my life. That doesn’t make me a bad person. It doesn’t make me a bad fan, and it doesn’t mean that I value human life, more or less than someone else. 

There is no right way out of this, but building community and strengthening bonds, can go a long way to help. Sports plays a huge part in equalizing people from different sides of issues and life. I think the absence of that, has made this past 4 months more difficult; and the continued absence will make the coming months worse. 

I think everyone wants a season.  If you opt, you are taking a significant pay cut. Also in the nfl, missing a year can be huge.  I bet a bunch of the opt out guys never get an opportunity to play again.  It’s a sport where if you miss a rep, your job can be gone. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-rob-manfred-warns-that-mlb-could-shut-down-by-monday-if-it-cant-contain-coronavirus-210743171.html

More upsetting news for all of us sports fans... MLB may be on the verge of shutting down by MONDAY!... Right now the odds of anything like a "full season" for any sport is looking pretty dim... Unlike the NBA, which may have the best chance of some kind of "season", with 32 NFL teams involved, unless the NFL can go a strict bubble concept I see no way of having anything like a full NFL season.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

we don’t know the long term effects.  There have been cases of young people who have recovered but have significant lung damage. It’s insane to say what long term effect this can have right now. 

There are lots of things we don’t know, but it’s insane to close schools and ban organized sports out of fear of something for which there is very little hard evidence.  

The media has disgracefully exaggerated and misrepresented the scope of the threat to healthy young people.  A recent poll showed that the average American believes that 9 percent of the population has died from COVID 19–that would be 30 million people.

Here’s a stat I’ve never seen published in the MSM:  in the entire state of California, not one person under 18-years old has died from CV19.  Not one, out of a sample size of 9 million kids.  I’m sorry, I do not believe that a disease that is incapable of causing even one death in a population of 9 million is somehow leaving young people with mysterious long term health damage...

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There's no chance of a successful season. As soon as there is a positive test the team will be scratched,  just like baseball. It's a joke. Nothing will be even close to normal until the election or a vaccine, which is also a real hoot, because the flu vaccine is roughly 40% effective. At this rate we all may as well take up fishing or bird watching. 

I hate fishing. It and bird watching are boring. Can we have other choices?  

On a side note, we have all gone from being arm chair quarterbacks to arm chair medical professionals and NO ONE stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night! 

Edited by iinii

I understand on both sides, but one thing gets me is the BMI thing.  I was a competitive power lifter at the National level and used to carry about an 8% body fat.  By the medical definition I was considered obese. Even though I was throwing around a ton of weight, and was running on the off season 5 miles a day.  The other comorbid conditions are serious, and I applaud those who opted out for a medical concern to them or their immediate family.  The problem though is one of the safest places to be is An NFL facility.  Not me saying it, the medical professionals saying it.  Why?  Because of the constant cleaning an strict adherence to proper protocols.  Dr. Chow said the other day it is riskier in practice throughout the week more than the games that there is greater risk and that once players go home to 5eir families there are greater risks as no one can control what is done outside the facilities.

It does make sense that a player can more easily contract the virus at home as you never know who is coming into the home, what precautions are taken etc.  of course I would like football, and yes, the players, coaches and owners are making free will decisions Whether to play, but they are not inherently more safe by not playing.

I am concerned for their safety, as I’m concerned for mine.  The bottom line for me is it is each persons decision how to act, and what to do.

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I understand on both sides, but one thing gets me is the BMI thing.  I was a competitive power lifter at the National level and used to carry about an 8% body fat.  By the medical definition I was considered obese. Even though I was throwing around a ton of weight, and was running on the off season 5 miles a day.  The other comorbid conditions are serious, and I applaud those who opted out for a medical concern to them or their immediate family.  The problem though is one of the safest places to be is An NFL facility.  Not me saying it, the medical professionals saying it.  Why?  Because of the constant cleaning an strict adherence to proper protocols.  Dr. Chow said the other day it is riskier in practice throughout the week more than the games that there is greater risk and that once players go home to 5eir families there are greater risks as no one can control what is done outside the facilities.

Medical professionals and scientists recognize that the whole BMI thing is nonsense when applied to larger scale humans.  Even jumbo NFL linemen are highly fit when compared to average people.  I’d be shocked if they were at elevated risk for CV19.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i have the point, and i believe it is immentialy defensible, that havig college football this year  is safer for the players than not having college football. If the school is open, college kids gunna college kids, go to parties, share funnels, not wear masks , and ultimately end up swapping bodily fluids at the end of the night.( BTW, that gunna continue to happen at most schools that have large off campus housing demos).

Least the football players are tested regularly, and most likely feel an obligation to their teammates , especially as the season get closer, to stay away from the parties , wear mask etc. PLayers aint getting this thing in practice or games, they getting out doing what males 18-35 have always done, and always will do.

You mean like Lou Williams (NBA) who through his stupidity (some would politely call it "youthful arrogance" but that's being rather charitable considering that we are in the middle of a worldwide PANDEMIC) has endangered his teammates and certainly not helped their chances of winning a championship in this shortened NBA season.

5 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

You mean like Lou Williams (NBA) who through his stupidity (some would politely call it "youthful arrogance" but that's being rather charitable considering that we are in the middle of a worldwide PANDEMIC) has endangered his teammates and certainly not helped their chances of winning a championship in this shortened NBA season.

Hey, look, a drunk fan slid down the rail at the stadium and injured another fan...close the upper deck cause one person was an idiot!!!!!

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hey, look, a drunk fan slid down the rail at the stadium and injured another fan...close the upper deck cause one person was an idiot!!!!!

Fall asleep at the wheel, run off the road, kill a young child, then our superior intelligent Governor turns the 33 from 55 to 35.  Because we all know the faster you drive your car the more apt you to fall asleep at the wheel.  

Using BMI to diagnose obesity doesn't always work.

BMI>30 is said to be obese, but really muscular football players with <10% body fat will have BMI>30. 

For instance, Micah parsons from psu is 6'3" 244 lbs. and has BMI of 30.5. Journey Brown is 5'11", 216 lbs. has BMI of 30.6.

so yes, some NFL players are obese. But not that many. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

There are lots of things we don’t know, but it’s insane to close schools and ban organized sports out of fear of something for which there is very little hard evidence.  

The media has disgracefully exaggerated and misrepresented the scope of the threat to healthy young people.  A recent poll showed that the average American believes that 9 percent of the population has died from COVID 19–that would be 30 million people.

Here’s a stat I’ve never seen published in the MSM:  in the entire state of California, not one person under 18-years old has died from CV19.  Not one, out of a sample size of 9 million kids.  I’m sorry, I do not believe that a disease that is incapable of causing even one death in a population of 9 million is somehow leaving young people with mysterious long term health damage...

While I agree with the bold part, I'd chalk up the 9% stat to the 'average American' being even more ignorant about math and logic than they are about COVID-19.

17 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Costas is right.  With the amount of NFL players that, despite being athletes, would be considered obese by medical standards, they are taking a huge risk opting in to the NFL season.  

Even if you wrote that off for some reason there is inherent risk to a lot of players getting the virus if we don't know the long term health consequences. We could be losing a lot of players down the line to possible heart and respiratory damage down the line. We really don't know what the long term impact of this virus is. I get people want to play the season and have football but the league needs to do a legitimate bubble plan because the MLB is proving there is no other way to do it. 

Do 4 regional bubbles, 8 teams in each bubble. You play 10 games in the bubble (6 against your division 4 against another division) you then swap to another bubble to play your final 4 games against a different division (thus only half the league needs to travel) and you get a 14 game season with 2 league wide bye weeks to help ease quarantine measures and provide a sort of reset twice. 

• Like (+1) 1