Bob Costas Brings Up A Good Point about NFL Players

Statistically obesity is a risk factor but are there numbers for young obese athletes?    Most are not as fat as you think. The fact they train and have good cardio vascular activity likely helps.   The risk is not big for most players.  There is no zero risk for anyone.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Statistically obesity is a risk factor but are there numbers for young obese athletes?    Most are not as fat as you think. The fact they train and have good cardio vascular activity likely helps.   The risk is not big for most players.  There is no zero risk for anyone.  

First of all, their are plenty of coaches over the age of 50 in the NFL. A significant number of players who ARE fat also have secondary risk factors like Diabetes and High Blood Pressure as well as more mundane ailments that the public is not always aware of (like say Asthma for example). Are you a licensed physician? Have you any medical training at ALL??? What exactly qualifies you to even speculate on the vulnerabilities of players and coaches???  

And while I am on my soapbox, how about players wives and children. How many players have wives who are pregnant or may have illnesses that we know nothing about.

We all want football back. But until a vaccine can be mass produced and distributed, players and everyone around them are at significant risk as we all are. If the NFL has to cancel the season so be it.

Edited by DefenseWins
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

First of all, their are plenty of coaches over the age of 50 in the NFL. A significant number of players who ARE fat also have secondary risk factors like Diabetes and High Blood Pressure as well as more mundane ailments that the public is not always aware of (like say Asthma for example). Are you a licensed physician? Have you any medical training at ALL??? What exactly qualifies you to even speculate on the vulnerabilities of players and coaches???  

What are your qualifications?   Calm down Karen!   Where are your high blood pressure numbers?   What a clown...

Just now, mattynh said:

What are your qualifications?   Calm down Karen!   Where are your high blood pressure numbers?   What a clown...

I am not the one who is cavalierly dismissing the risk to players and everyone around them. If you want to see the "CLOWN" here, go look in a mirror!

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

I am not the one who is cavalierly dismissing the risk to players and everyone around them. If you want to see the "CLOWN" here, go look in a mirror!

Take your meds dude.   You need help

tell you what.... when the season is over let’s revisit this and see how many nfl players succumb to the virus.   Then we will see who the clown is.  

Edited by mattynh

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Haven't read your post. Let me guess. You have an opinion and won't even read opinions that might possibly change your mind.

Gotta admit, this whole mindset cracks me up. Someone starts a thread with something new as a reference, an article, a video, whatever. And people come in and boast that they don't watch and then give an opinion anyway. It's like someone commenting on a movie they haven't seen. Why should anyone care? More, why would anyone want to comment if they don't want to look at what's being talked about? I don't get it, but it is amusing.

I know, it's ridiculous. Lol. I just couldn't turn on audio at the time. ?

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I know, it's ridiculous. Lol. I just couldn't turn on audio at the time. ?

Fair enough. I was just blowing off some steam.

EDIT: See below. Oops, here I go again.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Nice move!  

The minute you get a post like yours that responds to actual arguments through a post without any, and then you throw in calling a probable male a female name, and throwing insults besides ... well, you know you're going to see an argument with some intellectual heft, a real thought leader.

Your post, nothing but insults, is literally pointless.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nice move!  

The minute you get a post like yours that gives actual arguments by responding without any, and then you throw in calling a probable male a female name, and throwing insults besides ... well, you know you're going to see an argument with some intellectual heft, a real thought leader.

I asked a question and speculated.     What do you think an Internet forum for a sports team is about? Jump down my throat I will fire back.  Want to have a calm “thoughtful” conversation?   Let’s do it.   

Five out of 80 Bills players are put on the list, essentially before entering the facility.  This proves that the risks are there whether the season is canceled or not.  I would guess that players that want to put themselves in a bubble for 6 months are safer to opt out.  Whereas players that would go work out at a gym and then attend Zeke's parties afterwards may be safer with a season where there is constant testing and more guidance.  It's nice that the players have a couple reasonable options to make this choice for themselves.  Trying to have a season under these conditions is going to require teams to pivot at times, but is reasonable especially considering both players and owners want to proceed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

I wonder how many coaches and or players (OL in particular) will wind up on ventilators or just plain DEAD before some fans will start taking this virus seriously and give it the respect it deserves. This is a PANDEMIC we are faced with - NOT the effin common cold! We are all football fans but cmon these players are HUMAN BEINGS. Just because they play professional sports does not make them (or any of us for that matter) invincible....

uhmm, my guess is WAY more will end up with a serious medical conditions both long and short as they choose to  they play a violent sport that puts  their health at risk every single freaking day.. Are you okay with the NFL players putting themselves at risk for long term brain damage?

11 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I agree with  your sentiments, “some folk” here may not realize it but they come across as if they don’t give a ? about anyone or anything other than their  “god dang constitutional right to be entertained”’ regardless of the consequences for anyone else, and the players should just shut up and entertain them, it is a massively F d up way to think. Sure hope I’m wrong on this but some of the stuff I’ve read here says otherwise. Let’s all hope for the best outcome for these young men and their families, and if we are real darned lucky we get to watch our guys play some football. 

Go Bills!!!

you do realize not a single one of the NFL players, and I do mean , not a single one is an  indentured servant or somehow forced to play correct? not only that, they have the option to get a decent stipend and NOT PLAY this year..have ya heard of a little thing called an opt out? 

Or, are you one of the people who just assume because they are football players  and most likely black they are too dumb to make an informed decision , weigh the risks and do what best for them and their families, and therefore some smarter person should do it for them? Like you? I despise     hypocrites more than any other political bent.

And, Just like my point above, seems to me you come to a NFL message board, and I dont remember you screamimg to shut it down due to all the health risks associated with a violent game..please show where you have done that

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Based on the known demographics of the disease, I’m going to say zero.  

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex

Less than 600 males under the age of 34 have died in this country ...yes total...in a demographic of well over 50M...so , ya know..NFL players are in HUGE peril!

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Five out of 80 Bills players are put on the list, essentially before entering the facility.  This proves that the risks are there whether the season is canceled or not.  I would guess that players that want to put themselves in a bubble for 6 months are safer to opt out.  Whereas players that would go work out at a gym and then attend Zeke's parties afterwards may be safer with a season where there is constant testing and more guidance.  It's nice that the players have a couple reasonable options to make this choice for themselves.  Trying to have a season under these conditions is going to require teams to pivot at times, but is reasonable especially considering both players and owners want to proceed.

i have the point, and i believe it is immentialy defensible, that havig college football this year  is safer for the players than not having college football. If the school is open, college kids gunna college kids, go to parties, share funnels, not wear masks , and ultimately end up swapping bodily fluids at the end of the night.( BTW, that gunna continue to happen at most schools that have large off campus housing demos).

Least the football players are tested regularly, and most likely feel an obligation to their teammates , especially as the season get closer, to stay away from the parties , wear mask etc. PLayers aint getting this thing in practice or games, they getting out doing what males 18-35 have always done, and always will do.

16 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

uhmm, my guess is WAY more will end up with a serious medical conditions both long and short as they choose to  they play a violent sport that puts  their health at risk every single freaking day.. Are you okay with the NFL players putting themselves at risk for long term brain damage?

you do realize not a single one of the NFL players, and I do mean , not a single one is an  indentured servant or somehow forced to play correct? not only that, they have the option to get a decent stipend and NOT PLAY this year..have ya heard of a little thing called an opt out? 

Or, are you one of the people who just assume because they are football players  and most likely black they are too dumb to make an informed decision , weigh the risks and do what best for them and their families, and therefore some smarter person should do it for them? Like you? I despise     hypocrites more than any other political bent.

And, Just like my point above, seems to me you come to a NFL message board, and I dont remember you screamimg to shut it down due to all the health risks associated with a violent game..please show where you have done that

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex

Less than 600 males under the age of 34 have died in this country ...yes total...in a demographic of well over 50M...so , ya know..NFL players are in HUGE peril!

You are certainly entertaining, you may have heard the saying, if the shoe fits... 

Go Bills!!! 

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

You are certainly entertaining, you may have heard the saying, if the shoe fits... 

Go Bills!!! 

yes, so you can't answer the questions or address the specific comments, so you deflect! Brilliant!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

yes, so you can't answer the questions or address the specific comments, so you deflect! Brilliant!

Exactly right. The ‘enlightened’ group likes to spout out ‘information’. When this particular group is asked questions like ‘where are the ratings to prove the vast majority watches CNN for news?’, they can’t answer or show facts. I stop responding or giving them the time of day because they are either intentionally being an agitator or are just to ignorant to engage. 

12 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

I wonder how many coaches and or players (OL in particular) will wind up on ventilators or just plain DEAD . This is a PANDEMIC we are faced with - NOT the effin common cold! We are all football fans but cmon these players are HUMAN BEINGS. Just because they play professional sports does not make them (or any of us for that matter) invincible....

Great points like how they are HUMAN BEINGS!    I did not know that.

And that they arent invincible....like how every year athletes die....to overdose...car accidents...shootings...cte suicide. We should wait 5 years for football since slowly protecting everyone from germs has slowed the natural immunity we could have all had by now if we had just acted normal. Better to hide for 5 years in our homes....but its ok to go to home depot and use Tinder according to Dr Fauchi.

We should also take away there choice to play....they should all play or all get locked out....why let these healthy 20 year olds choose to earn their millions? Can you please choose for them?  Can you please keep educating us regarding this GLOBAL PANDEMIC that kills 85 year olds in nursing homes like nobody's business?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I’ll give you one; a player’s injuries from playing football are not contagious and spread to their families, moms dads wives children girl friends boy friends etc. Covid-19 on the other hand is highly contagious, and goes both ways. 

Now it’s your turn, answer this, why so little concern for your fellow country men, women and children? do you believe Covid-19 is nothing to be concerned about? , do you just not care about them or their loved ones? or is it that you actually feel you have some imagined right to be entertained by these particular American citizens? 

Remember if you don’t answer the points from my post you are acting just like me. Brilliant right? ??

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’ll give you one; a player’s injuries from playing football are not contagious and spread to their families, moms dads wives children girl friends boy friends etc. Covid-19 on the other hand is highly contagious, and goes both ways. 

Now it’s your turn, answer this, why so little concern for your fellow country men, women and children? do you believe Covid-19 is nothing to be concerned about? , do you just not care about them or their loved ones? or is it that you actually feel you have some imagined right to be entertained by these particular American citizens? 

Remember if you don’t answer the points from my post you are acting just like me. Brilliant right? ??

Go Bills!!!

Your response  directly related to players. And as i said..the players are making the decision  to play . And  let's be clear, I have enough respect for them to understand they have considered and weighed the risks to play, and have made a  decision to play. Why can you not respect that  decision? Do you think you are smarter than them? So Cuomo says its okay to play, none of the other governors have shut it down,  the players individually  have decided to play...and yet Dan  says they are all wrong, he is smarter than all of those people...and he is especially  smarter  than the dumb dumb players who are only playing  because they are forced to...do i have that right?

To your second point, I think as American citizens they have the right to choose to go to a legally sanctioned place of work... and work. Do you not believe that is their right? And if your point is if they go to work they might spread it to other people when they leave, we need to shut down EVERY place of work right now,

Do believe if is your right as an American citizen to watch and be entertained by  these same men as they suffer brain injuries and illnesses at much greater rates than their country men for your entertainment? 

I will not  get into a serious discussion with you on the demographics of the virus and at risk groups, excess deaths associated with the virus, the effects lock-downs are having on our society, and the world at large. Suffice it to say the damage being done to the world is unbelievably sad, and unfortunately we don't get these stories as it would make people understand this is not a zero sum game...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/virus-linked-hunger-tied-to-10000-child-deaths-each-month-un-finds

All around the world, the coronavirus and its restrictions are pushing already hungry communities over the edge, cutting off meager farms from markets and isolating villages from food and medical aid. Virus-linked hunger is leading to the deaths of 10,000 more children a month over the first year of the pandemic, according to an urgent call to action from the United Nations 

• Like (+1) 1