Bob Costas Brings Up A Good Point about NFL Players

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Likely the vast majority of the voting population of our country watches CNN at some point every week or more,  in fact most well informed voters tune into multiple news sources to get an overall better understanding of various trains of thought... ya don’t learn much by only listening to one source of information. 

Go Bills!!!

Ratings clearly demonstrate that your assertion is completely wrong 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Costas is right.  With the amount of NFL players that, despite being athletes, would be considered obese by medical standards, they are taking a huge risk opting in to the NFL season.  

Bill Mahar made his "New Rules" segment about how obesity is a significant factor in how deadly Covd-19 is to an individual.

"Having a BMI of 30 or higher increases a person's risk of developing a severe case of COVID-19 by 27%," Dr. Stephens says. "And a BMI of 40 or higher doubles a person's risk."

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2020/jun/obesity-and-covid-19-can-your-weight-alone-put-you-at-higher-risk/

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Body fat percentage is a better measure of obesity than BMI so that 70% number is bullcrap.  Football players weight train which puts on muscle.  Muscle adds pounds to your body.  Devin Singletary would be considered obese by BMI's metrics.  Tyreek Hill is considered overweight for crying out loud.

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

For the record, I think Fauci has been doing exactly what he should be doing... giving scientific/medical advice on an infectious disease.  

He’s not an economist, nor a politician and one side demonizes him for that, while the other side weaponizes what he says.  

However, my opinion of him definitely changed a bit after that exchange.  

Jim Jordan had Fauci admit that COVID was transmitted and spread during the protests.   Jordan then asked Fauci if the government should recommend shutting down the protests (like they have businesses, churches, family gatherings, funerals etc..) and Fauci couldn’t do it.   

You’re either apolitical or you’re not, and in that exchange I saw a guy who is letting his political views cloud his medical judgment.   

Im not for shutting down protests, but I also am not an infectious disease expert who’s been making recommendations all over the place on everything that spreads COVID should be shut down. 

Fair assessment; I hear you. I guess where he would have crossed the line for me is had he said no to shut downs of indoor protests, then yes, clearly that would indicate political bias affecting his epidemiological objectivity. 

This virus seems to magnify and cause inflammation too, you know kind of like what happens when you run into someone running full speed into you over and over.

Also, the pain medicines (especially toridal (sp?), people are taking to play impact the liver and kidneys, which covid-19 attacks.

I really hope the league has done their due diligence here, because this could end the league if they didn't (we followed the cdc guidelines isn't going to cut imo if this goes sideways with a bunch of lineman having significant impacts.

32 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Ratings clearly demonstrate that your assertion is completely wrong 

Good one, now try something original

2 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

This virus seems to magnify and cause inflammation too, you know kind of like what happens when you run into someone running full speed into you over and over.

Genuinely surprised Brady hasn't opted out yet. Dude won't even eat a tomato because it's not an anti-inflammatory. Plus his age. Wouldn't be surprised if he still does at some point.

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

Everyone looks bad when Screamin' Gym Jordan is involved.

Dude needs to wear a jacket, speak slower, and take care of that flop sweat. And probably address the sexual abuse allegations. Fauci shrugged him off, Gym is a screaming madman.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Dude needs to wear a jacket, speak slower, and take care of that flop sweat. And probably address the sexual abuse allegations. Fauci shrugged him off, Gym is a screaming madman.

This where being in the middle politically is so maddening... I don’t love Jim Jordan either, but I’m not going to obfuscate and attack him because he made Fauci look bad. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SCBills said:

This where being in the middle politically is so maddening... I don’t love Jim Jordan either, but I’m not going to obfuscate and attack him because he made Fauci look bad. 

I respectfully disagree, but I'm not going to die on the hill if you think otherwise. It's all good. I just can't take Jordan seriously and thought Fauci treated him the same way.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Haven't watched. Let me guess... He wants to cancel the season.

Haven't read your post. Let me guess. You have an opinion and won't even read opinions that might possibly change your mind.

Gotta admit, this whole mindset cracks me up. Someone starts a thread with something new as a reference, an article, a video, whatever. And people come in and boast that they don't watch and then give an opinion anyway. It's like someone commenting on a movie they haven't seen. Why should anyone care? More, why would anyone want to comment if they don't want to look at what's being talked about? I don't get it, but it is amusing.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Costas is right.  With the amount of NFL players that, despite being athletes, would be considered obese by medical standards, they are taking a huge risk opting in to the NFL season.  

Yeah, this was what stood out for me. Due to body weight issues about 70% of NFL players would fit into the "pre-existing conditions" group. Holy cow, I never considered that for an instant. I think of these guys as uber-healthy.

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Dr. Bob and Dr. Never-treated COVID-19 Gupta both are opining recklessly.  Has anyone seen an OL or DL up close?  They're not obese.  Most of them are the biggest human beings anyone will ever see, but they're not fat blobs.  Listening to Bob you'd think Nate Newton's are all over the field.  

Do you have any studies on how well extremely strong and well-conditioned but obese guys do with COVID as opposed to guys who are obese but not extremely strong?

I don't believe there's anything like that to point to.

This is something that I would absolutely think very hard about assuming I was a healthy, conditioned NFL lineman facing the issues these guys are facing.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

For the record, I think Fauci has been doing exactly what he should be doing... giving scientific/medical advice on an infectious disease.  

He’s not an economist, nor a politician and one side demonizes him for that, while the other side weaponizes what he says.  

However, my opinion of him definitely changed a bit after that exchange.  

Jim Jordan had Fauci admit that COVID was transmitted and spread during the protests.   Jordan then asked Fauci if the government should recommend shutting down the protests (like they have businesses, churches, family gatherings, funerals etc..) and Fauci couldn’t do it.   

You’re either apolitical or you’re not, and in that exchange I saw a guy who is letting his political views cloud his medical judgment.   

Im not for shutting down protests, but I also am not an infectious disease expert who’s been making recommendations all over the place on everything that spreads COVID should be shut down. 

I'm honestly not sure at all about whether the protests should be limited. It doesn't affect me over here in Japan.

But having seen this thread and gone back to look at the Jordan-Fauci exhange, I don't think Fauci is doing anything unreasonable here. The guy kept asking him for his judgments on political issues. Fauci refused to answer, saying he is only an expert on medical issues not political ones. He answered clearly that he would avoid all crowds at this point. The questions he refused to answer were only the ones where the answer was political not medical. 

Here's the transcript of the whole thing:

---------------

Representative Jordan: (00:00)
Thank you, Mr. Chairman. Dr. Fauci, do protests increase the spread of the virus?

Dr. Fauci: (00:06)
Do protest increase the spread of the virus? I think I can make a general statement.

Representative Jordan: (00:11)
Half a million protestors on June 6th alone. I’m just asking that number of people, does it increase the spread of the virus?

Dr. Fauci: (00:16)
Crowding together, particularly when you’re not wearing a mask, contributes to the spread of the virus.

Representative Jordan: (00:23)
Should we limit the protesting?

Dr. Fauci: (00:25)
I’m not sure what you mean. How do we say limit the protesting?

Representative Jordan: (00:29)
Should government limit the protesting?

Dr. Fauci: (00:33)
I don’t think that’s relevant to-

Representative Jordan: (00:36)
Well, you just said, if it increases the spread of the virus, I’m just asking, should we limit it?

Dr. Fauci: (00:40)
Well, I’m not in a position to determine what the government can do in a forceful way.

Representative Jordan: (00:44)
Well, you make all kinds of recommendations. You made comments on dating, on baseball and everything you can imagine. I’m just asking you. You just said protest increased the spread. I’m just asking you should we try to limit the protests?

Dr. Fauci: (00:53)
No, I think I would leave that to people who have more of an position to do that. I can tell you that-

Representative Jordan: (00:59)
Government’s stopping people from going to church, Dr. Fauci.

Dr. Fauci: (01:02)
Yeah.

Representative Jordan: (01:03)
Last week in the Calvary Chapel case, five liberals on the Supreme Court said it was okay for Nevada to limit church services. Justice Gorsuch said it best. He said there’s no world in which the Constitution permits Nevada to favor Caesar’s Palace over Calvary chapel. I’m just asking, is there a world where the Constitution says you can favor one First Amendment liberty, protesting, over another, practicing your faith?

Dr. Fauci: (01:27)
I’m not favoring anybody over anybody. I’m just making a statement that’s a broad statement, that avoid crowds of any type no matter where you are because that leads to the acquisition and transmission. And I don’t judge one crowd versus another crowd. When you’re in a crowd, particularly if you’re not wearing a mask, that induces the spread.

Representative Jordan: (01:49)
It’s a simple question, Doctor. Should we limit the protests? Government is obviously limiting people going to church. And look, there’s been no violence that I can see at church. I haven’t seen people during a church service go out and harm police officers or burn buildings. But we know that, I mean, for 63 days, nine weeks, it’s been happening in Portland. One night in Chicago, 49 officers were injured, but no limit to protests, but boy, you can’t go to church on Sunday.

Dr. Fauci: (02:18)
I don’t know how many times I can answer that. I’m not going to opine on limiting anything. I’m just going to tell you-

Representative Jordan: (02:23)
You’ve opined on a lot of things, Dr. Fauci.

Dr. Fauci: (02:25)
Yeah, but I’ve never said to limit anything.

Representative Jordan: (02:26)
This is something that directly impacts the spread of the virus, and I’m asking your position on the protest.

Dr. Fauci: (02:31)
Well, I’m not going to opine on limiting anything. I’m telling you what it is, the danger, and you can make your own conclusion about that. You should stay away from crowds no matter where the crowds are.

Representative Jordan: (02:44)
Government has stopped people from going to work. In fact, just in New Jersey four days ago, Ian Smith, Frank Trumbetti were arrested for opening up from trying to operate their business, their gym. They were arrested. But my bet is if these two individuals who owned this gym were outside just in front of their gym and all the people who are working out in their gym were outside protesting, they’d been just fine, but because they were in the gym working out, actually running their business, they got arrested. You think that’s okay?

Dr. Fauci: (03:16)
I’m not going to opine it on who gets arrested and who does not. I mean, you get where I’m going? I’m telling you as a public health official. I say crowds-

Representative Jordan: (03:25)
Do you see the inconsistency, though, Dr. Fauci?

Dr. Fauci: (03:27)
There’s no inconsistency, Congressman.

Representative Jordan: (03:30)
So you’re allowed to protest millions of people on one day in crowds, yelling, screaming, but you try to run your business, you get arrested. And if you stood right outside of that same business and protested, you wouldn’t get arrested. You don’t see an inconsistency there?

Dr. Fauci: (03:42)
I don’t understand what you’re asking me as a public health official to opine on who should get arrested or not. That’s not my position. You could ask me as much as you want and I’m not going to answer it.

Representative Jordan: (03:52)
You’ve advocated for certain businesses. You’ve advocated for certain businesses to be shut down. I’m just asking you on your position on the protest. I haven’t seen one. We’ve heard a lot about hair salons. I haven’t seen one hairstylist who between haircuts goes out and attacks police or sets something on fire, but we’ve seen all kinds of that stuff during protests. And we know the protest actually increase the spread of the virus. You’ve said that.

Dr. Fauci: (04:16)
I said crowds. I didn’t say specifically, I didn’t say protests do anything.

Representative Jordan: (04:21)
So the protests don’t increase the spread of the virus?

Dr. Fauci: (04:23)
I didn’t say that. You’re putting words in my mouth.

Representative Jordan: (04:26)
I just want an answer to the question. Do the protests increase the spread of the virus?

Dr. Fauci: (04:30)
I don’t have any scientific evidence that anything I can tell you that crowds are known, particularly when you don’t have a mask, to increase the acquisition and transmission, no matter what the crowd is.

Representative Jordan: (04:41)
So you don’t have a position on whether the protests increased the spread of the virus or don’t increase the spread of the virus?

Dr. Fauci: (04:48)
I’m saying that crowds, wherever the crowds are, can give you an increased probability that is going to be acquisition and transmission.

Representative Jordan: (04:57)
But do you understand American’s concern? Protesting, particularly according to the Democrats is just fine, but you can’t go to work. You can’t go to school. You can’t go to church. There’s limits placed on all three of those fundamental activities, First Amendment activities, but protesting is just fine.

Mr. Clyburn: (05:17)
The gentleman’s time has expired.

----------------------

So, yeah, Fauci's opined on lots of things. Medical things. Which he is willing to do, and still doing. Not political things, which he isn't and won't. Which is reasonable. He's not an expert on politics. This is clearly a Senatory trying to spin things to make a political point. Fauci made his medical opinion very clear. Jordan wanted to force him to say what Jordan wanted to hear. He was perfectly willing to put words in Fauci's mouth. For instance, he says, "So the protests don't increase the spread of the virus?" That's a political question. Fauci had already said that crowds increase the probability of it being spread. In other words, yeah, the protests increase the probability of it being spread. But Jordan wanted more than that, because he wanted a politically useful answer.

Fauci clearly said that crowds are dangerous in that they increase the probability of spread. Jordan isn't interested in that it's not a politically useful answer for him. He wants Fauci to separate the protests, to get Fauci to answer a question about the protests, while not including the crowds Jordan himself politically supports - business, churches, etc. - in the answer. But Fauci is right that medically speaking a crowd is a crowd is a crowd. He can't speak to the differences.

Seems a case of someone trying to force a political opinion out of a medical expert to me. Did Fauci ever say that going to church should be illegal? I sure don't remember that. It's outside his scope, as is what Jordan is trying to get him to say. Jordan isn't asking questions that would increase public awareness of medical dimensions of the problem. He's trying to force Fauci to say something that is politically useful to Jordan and his side, even though it's a political issue and not a medical one. To me, it looked totally reasonable of Fauci, who's been as much of a voice of reason as there's been in this whole disaster.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

I wonder how many coaches and or players (OL in particular) will wind up on ventilators or just plain DEAD 

Based on the known demographics of the disease, I’m going to say zero.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'd strongly advise you to reconsider your reply. Just look at all the coaches in the NFL over the age of 50. Some are in their 60s. And how many OL weigh 350# or more. A significant  number of them have secondary risk factors like diabetes and high blood pressure. And you think none of them are gonna get seriously sick?? You are in for a very rude awakening...

7 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

NFL players are only obese by clinical definitions. They regularly work their heart and lungs to rates unheard of by normal obese subjects. They dont have the same risks and are actually not obese.

In short, most NFL athletes are freaks...and not high risk due to obesity. What is more concerning are the typical high risk factors out there sickle cell and other factors.

So young athletes won't be effected by covid-19?

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2020/7/30/21346834/mlb-eduardo-rodriguez-boston-red-sox-coronavirus-covid-19-myocarditis-2020

When young and healthy doesn’t matter

Eduardo Rodríguez should be in his peak years with the Boston Red Sox. Instead their promising young starter is sidelined thanks to a heart condition brought upon by catching the coronavirus.

10 hours ago, Beast said:

Give me one good reason why Bob Costas's opinion about this is worth listening to. 

Did he get a medical degree since I last checked on his bio?

He did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express ;)

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Fauci had a real bad look in the exchange with Jim Jordan yesterday.  

Im 100% for the protests, as I am people being able to open their businesses.  However when Fauci picks and chooses who he will recommend shut down (churches, businesses etc) and can’t bring himself to say the massive gatherings of millions of people in the streets shouldn’t be shut down....well, that’s when you lose credibility with people like me, and further drive home the reasoning for why certain people didn’t trust him to begin with. 

He said he's concerned about all gatherings of people not wearing masks. He doesn't make policy. Jordan is the one that looks like an ass

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1