Bob Costas Brings Up A Good Point about NFL Players

I’m not really into debating anything Covid related anymore (so that’s not the intent of my comment), but the Costas comments did make me ponder a question. I’ve seen obesity among NFL players tossed around this forum quite a bit, but is the obesity rate among NFL players any higher than the general population? I kind of doubt it, pretty much the majority of America has the obesity risk factor going for them. At least obese pro athletes are physically active, which is more than you can say for many others. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

For those of you who want to assume what Costas is advocating without listening to his comments, he doesn't advocate anything one way or the other.  Rather he offers serious consideration for whether the NFL has a shot at succeeding with a full season, just by the nature of the sport, the size of rosters and trying to play in 32 venues.  He further mentions that at least NFL players have a union to protect them as opposed to college players.  All valid points.  

I love and miss football as much as anyone but I'll be shocked if this season isn't curtailed in length or marred by some tragedy.

Costas is too smart...we must hate him!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Likely the vast majority of the voting population of our country watches CNN at some point every week or more,  in fact most well informed voters tune into multiple news sources to get an overall better understanding of various trains of thought... ya don’t learn much by only listening to one source of information. 

Go Bills!!!

Ratings I have seen don’t reflect ‘the vast majority of the voting population’ watch CNN. Do you have any statistics to back up your statement?

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m not really into debating anything Covid related anymore (so that’s not the intent of my comment), but the Costas comments did make me ponder a question. I’ve seen obesity among NFL players tossed around this forum quite a bit, but is the obesity rate among NFL players any higher than the general population? I kind of doubt it, pretty much the majority of America has the obesity risk factor going for them. At least obese pro athletes are physically active, which is more than you can say for many others. 

In the video they quoted that by the current definition of obesity medically, 70 percent of NFL players would qualify.  Their athleticism, while being a plus, could also be compromised.  A nonathlete losing 5 to 10% of their lung capacity as an ongoing effect of Covid would not be impacted as negatively as an athlete.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Give me one good reason why Bob Costas's opinion about this is worth listening to. 

Did he get a medical degree since I last checked on his bio?

Ugh. 

I don't remember you being so miserly last time around.

I can't remember the last thread you posted that didn't have a veneer of anger, defensiveness, or cynicism.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Give me one good reason why Bob Costas's opinion about this is worth listening to. 

Did he get a medical degree since I last checked on his bio?

Wouldn't that make him over qualified then? The ones with the medical degrees seem to be getting ignored........

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

For those of you who want to assume what Costas is advocating without listening to his comments, he doesn't advocate anything one way or the other.  Rather he offers serious consideration for whether the NFL has a shot at succeeding with a full season, just by the nature of the sport, the size of rosters and trying to play in 32 venues.  He further mentions that at least NFL players have a union to protect them as opposed to college players.  All valid points.  

I love and miss football as much as anyone but I'll be shocked if this season isn't curtailed in length or marred by some tragedy.

There's no chance of a successful season. As soon as there is a positive test the team will be scratched,  just like baseball. It's a joke. Nothing will be even close to normal until the election or a vaccine, which is also a real hoot, because the flu vaccine is roughly 40% effective. At this rate we all may as well take up fishing or bird watching. 

NFL players are only obese by clinical definitions. They regularly work their heart and lungs to rates unheard of by normal obese subjects. They dont have the same risks and are actually not obese.

In short, most NFL athletes are freaks...and not high risk due to obesity. What is more concerning are the typical high risk factors out there sickle cell and other factors.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Ratings I have seen don’t reflect ‘the vast majority of the voting population’ watch CNN. Do you have any statistics to back up your statement?

what are these rating you speak of? 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Wouldn't that make him over qualified then? The ones with the medical degrees seem to be getting ignored........

Fauci had a real bad look in the exchange with Jim Jordan yesterday.  

Im 100% for the protests, as I am people being able to open their businesses.  However when Fauci picks and chooses who he will recommend shut down (churches, businesses etc) and can’t bring himself to say the massive gatherings of millions of people in the streets shouldn’t be shut down....well, that’s when you lose credibility with people like me, and further drive home the reasoning for why certain people didn’t trust him to begin with. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Likely the vast majority of the voting population of our country watches CNN at some point every week or more,  in fact most well informed voters tune into multiple news sources to get an overall better understanding of various trains of thought... ya don’t learn much by only listening to one source of information. 

Go Bills!!!

Dead people watch CNN?

3 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

I wonder how many coaches and or players (OL in particular) will wind up on ventilators or just plain DEAD before some fans will start taking this virus seriously and give it the respect it deserves. This is a PANDEMIC we are faced with - NOT the effin common cold! We are all football fans but cmon these players are HUMAN BEINGS. Just because they play professional sports does not make them (or any of us for that matter) invincible....

Nobody is holding a gun to their heads. They can opt out.

If they play, I'll watch. 

I respect the decision either way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

I wonder how many coaches and or players (OL in particular) will wind up on ventilators or just plain DEAD before some fans will start taking this virus seriously and give it the respect it deserves. This is a PANDEMIC we are faced with - NOT the effin common cold! We are all football fans but cmon these players are HUMAN BEINGS. Just because they play professional sports does not make them (or any of us for that matter) invincible....

Dayum...and I thought getting Covid-19 was just like a mild case of the sniffles...

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Fauci had a real bad look in the exchange with Jim Jordan yesterday.  

Im 100% for the protests, as I am people being able to open their businesses.  However when Fauci picks and chooses who he will recommend shut down (churches, businesses etc) and can’t bring himself to say the massive gatherings of millions of people in the streets shouldn’t be shut down....well, that’s when you lose credibility with people like me, and further drive home the reasoning for why certain people didn’t trust him to begin with. 

I didn't see the exchange but I'm guessing Fauci's point was that the protests were outdoors (where the risk of transmission is said to be 1/20th what it is indoors), hence the higher risk of church gatherings, bars, restaurants, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Dr. Bob and Dr. Never-treated COVID-19 Gupta both are opining recklessly.  Has anyone seen an OL or DL up close?  They're not obese.  Most of them are the biggest human beings anyone will ever see, but they're not fat blobs.  Listening to Bob you'd think Nate Newton's are all over the field.  

3 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

People watch CNN?

Sometimes in airports.  Otherwise they trend to about 60% of what FoxNews attracts. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

I didn't see the exchange but I'm guessing Fauci's point was that the protests were outdoors (where the risk of transmission is said to be 1/20th what it is indoors), hence the higher risk of church gatherings, bars, restaurants, etc.

For the record, I think Fauci has been doing exactly what he should be doing... giving scientific/medical advice on an infectious disease.  

He’s not an economist, nor a politician and one side demonizes him for that, while the other side weaponizes what he says.  

However, my opinion of him definitely changed a bit after that exchange.  

Jim Jordan had Fauci admit that COVID was transmitted and spread during the protests.   Jordan then asked Fauci if the government should recommend shutting down the protests (like they have businesses, churches, family gatherings, funerals etc..) and Fauci couldn’t do it.   

You’re either apolitical or you’re not, and in that exchange I saw a guy who is letting his political views cloud his medical judgment.   

Im not for shutting down protests, but I also am not an infectious disease expert who’s been making recommendations all over the place on everything that spreads COVID should be shut down. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1