Jon Feliciano torn pec (returning to practice 10/7)

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Well...."unwitting" and "doc" do go hand in hand.

But the circumstances under each guy suffered such an injury are, as the pictures suggest, likely dissimilar.

Good one.

So we agree Watt is in shape...and he tears his pec.  But it's the "circumstances."  OK.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Again, not conflicting. The source for the Rotoworld article was the Buffalo News and their article says this “The recovery time for such an injury is usually three to four months. The Bills announced he's out indefinitely.”

For sure. I'm aware of the return timeline. Was just pointing out that some have Feliciano missing the season which isn't going to be the case. 

3 minutes ago, DJB said:

For sure. I'm aware of the return timeline. Was just pointing out that some have Feliciano missing the season which isn't going to be the case. 

Yeah I think there are “opinions” that he will miss the season because this type of injury can be that type of timeline, but reports are 2-3 months expected and then “indefinite” by the team. Even the Buffalo news uses 3-4 months but not as an expected timeline, as a typical timeline. That’s where the confusion flows. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So it is your belief that all individuals who suffer the same injury are equally fit? 

Nope.  Never said that.  My point was that you can be in-shape and tear your pec...like Watt did.  But since there's almost nothing about/nobody on the team you like, which makes me wonder why you bother spending so much time here (besides being a masochist), you had to make your typical snarky comment and then get all huffy when called on it.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc said:

Nope.  Never said that.  My point was that you can be in-shape and tear your pec...like Watt did.  But since there's almost nothing about/nobody on the team you like, which makes me wonder why you bother spending so much time here (besides being a masochist), you had to make your typical snarky comment and then get all huffy when called on it.

Because he cannot find any intelligent conversation on P*ts board?

• Haha (+1) 3

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t forget Nseckhe. I could see Williams at RG and Ford/Nseckhe at RT again unless Nseckhe is totally healthy this year

I agree with you about Feleciano mentality, he’s a great fit from that aspect. Hopefully he can return for the stretch run.

Ya forgot about Ty! Man we really have some outstanding depth at most position groups. Especially the OL and DL. 

Good point about Williams potentially going inside. With Ford and Ty at RT already I found it a little odd they added another RT. Makes you wonder if they planned all along to convert 1 of the 3 to RG

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya forgot about Ty! Man we really have some outstanding depth at most position groups. Especially the OL and DL. 

Good point about Williams potentially going inside. With Ford and Ty at RT already I found it a little odd they added another RT. Makes you wonder if they planned all along to convert 1 of the 3 to RG

Nsekhe has injury concerns.  Prior to JF getting injured, it wouldn't have surprised me to see him cut.

46 minutes ago, Doc said:

Nsekhe has injury concerns.  Prior to JF getting injured, it wouldn't have surprised me to see him cut.

He’s also 35 but OT is his best position. I think he will be the backup swing tackle and hopefully Ford nails down RT. I think Daryl Williams will end up winning the starting RG spot. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s also 35 but OT is his best position. I think he will be the backup swing tackle and hopefully Ford nails down RT. I think Daryl Williams will end up winning the starting RG spot. 

I would prefer to see Williams at tackle and ford inside. Not because everyone says ford is a better fit inside, but Williams did not play very well as a guard and he was almost at elite status at right tackle when healthy. Crazy to see the depth they’ve assembled 

I don’t know if it ever came out as I admit I’ve read 60% of the thread so if I missed it my apologies.  If he tore a peck from lifting then he was not taught proper form.  I’ve never once injured a pectoral muscle and I trained for the US championships several years in powerlifting.  If you are using proper equipment for safety, you pause at the bottom for benching, have very strict form in all other chest exercises, this wouldn’t happen.  Now if he’s doing one of the versions of CrossFit, or other functional exercises, anything is possible.  Also, practicing as it’s easy to hyperextend you’re chest in various blocking exercises.

I bring up as it is not like he was practicing so you wonder what did he do to cause this injury.  I competed until I was 33 and still trained hard all of the years later.  I don’t get hurt because I am extremely strict in my form.  These days just being heart healthy and staying nice and light is my way of continuing to not get injured.  But then again, I’m 50.  I was just curious if anyone knew.  I expect soft tissue injuries, knees, neck, back, etc.  But in training, you shouldn’t tear a large muscle like you’re pectoral if you are doing everything correct, and you don’t attempt to do something that will get you hurt.

Honestly, I’ve been waiting for years for some dumbbell at the combine to crack a sternum.  It is historically the worst form I’ve ever seen, and I witnessed first hand a butthead who played football for UB crack his sternum by trying to bounce 375 lbs. off his chest.  He was a friend so years later I told him you’re not impressing anyone with trying weights you’re body is not ready to do.  My two cents, but in this case I know a bit more than many as I had the deadlift national record and repeatedly took the bronze in the US championships.  Easiest way to not get hurt is know yourself and you’re capabilities.

Oh and granted it was a very long time ago.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I tore my pec while benching a long time ago...not a fun experience...especially when people from across the gym heard the pop and ran over to see if I was OK and find out what that noise was.

8 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know if it ever came out as I admit I’ve read 60% of the thread so if I missed it my apologies.  If he tore a peck from lifting then he was not taught proper form.  I’ve never once injured a pectoral muscle and I trained for the US championships several years in powerlifting.  If you are using proper equipment for safety, you pause at the bottom for benching, have very strict form in all other chest exercises, this wouldn’t happen.  Now if he’s doing one of the versions of CrossFit, or other functional exercises, anything is possible.  Also, practicing as it’s easy to hyperextend you’re chest in various blocking exercises.

I bring up as it is not like he was practicing so you wonder what did he do to cause this injury.  I competed until I was 33 and still trained hard all of the years later.  I don’t get hurt because I am extremely strict in my form.  These days just being heart healthy and staying nice and light is my way of continuing to not get injured.  But then again, I’m 50.  I was just curious if anyone knew.  I expect soft tissue injuries, knees, neck, back, etc.  But in training, you shouldn’t tear a large muscle like you’re pectoral if you are doing everything correct, and you don’t attempt to do something that will get you hurt.

Honestly, I’ve been waiting for years for some dumbbell at the combine to crack a sternum.  It is historically the worst form I’ve ever seen, and I witnessed first hand a butthead who played football for UB crack his sternum by trying to bounce 375 lbs. off his chest.  He was a friend so years later I told him you’re not impressing anyone with trying weights you’re body is not ready to do.  My two cents, but in this case I know a bit more than many as I had the deadlift national record and repeatedly took the bronze in the US championships.  Easiest way to not get hurt is know yourself and you’re capabilities.

Oh and granted it was a very long time ago.

I disagree with this. I was a form stickler but the fact of the matter is some people like me just have physiological issues that make benching not very good for them. There are much safer alternatives like decline benching, or using dumbbells that put the body in a better physiological position with less chance of any issues.

For whatever reason my shoulders apparently do not line up properly so when I use a straight bar when benching it causes issues with my left shoulder/pec tie in area. This is alleviated by decline due to the positioning of the body and by dumbbells due to allowing separate movement arcs for each side of the body.

Matter we’ll agree to disagree.  Maybe you have a genetic issue, so ok, but the vast majority of people don’t workout properly.  They don’t use perfect form and yes, you are very correct there are so many different chest exercises you can do besides flat bench.  Besides even when I was a strength training coach, I’d have young men benching traditionally.  I would ask them where are you’re hands when you block.  You know the answer, so I would ask them, then why are you benching wide when you block narrow.  

Id have to remind them you only lift to support what you do on the field until you’re done playing football.  I’d get my linemen to narrow bench and they would see results in the season.  I also made them do a press call, stay completely even on the bar, set everything so their butt, feet, head, etc. stayed completely still during their exercise and use a proper arch, and if going really heavy, wear a shirt.  It sounds like you’re an old time lifter so you know how those shirts work.  They are not there help you put up more weight.  They are there to compact you’re shoulders, joints, etc. so they carefully get stronger.  I almost never had guys injured, because I drilled into them how to do it perfectly.

It’s not about me, and some injuries are absolutely unavoidable, but many can be avoided.  When I see so many hamstring injuries in the beginning of a season or groin, I think to myself, did these guys do excellent exercises like yoga, hot yoga, Pilates in the off season.  There is a reason why McCoy improved on those injuries and it was because he became religious about yoga.  

One thing is for sure, I’m sorry for you’re injury and very aware of ungodly painful it is to tear a peck.  I had a good friend do it, and yes, he was on steroids, and was using improper form.  Thankfully, one smart thing I did was the strongest supplement I ever took was Creatinine.  They can’t even do that anymore as it affects renal function.  

On 7/31/2020 at 10:34 AM, YoloinOhio said:

https://twitter.com/buffanatics/status/1289204693101576192?s=21

Bills OL Jon Feliciano suffered an injury (chest) and had surgery today, per source. Recovery could take a few months to heal.

Terrible news,  i thought he was growing into a leader on the line.  I also thought John was our best value free agent signing last season,  will be missed if he is done for the year.

• Like (+1) 1

ND, I’m with you.  I loved Mongo Feliciano.  He brought a nastiness to this team.  The only and I mean only good thing is maybe Ford can get pulled inside to his natural position, and Nsekhe and Williams can handle the right side.  I’d start Nsekhe until he gets hurt as when he plays, he plays well.  Then Williams can Pop over if his knee holds up.  If not, Ford would have to go back to the right side and we place Long as the right Guard.  He’s demonstrated his abilities which I was on the side of not cutting him.  He is a very good depth players, and can move to Center if Morse gets hurt.  Morse is great, but Long played that position well until he banged up his hand at the Jets.

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

ND, I’m with you.  I loved Mongo Feliciano.  He brought a nastiness to this team.  The only and I mean only good thing is maybe Ford can get pulled inside to his natural position, and Nsekhe and Williams can handle the right side.  I’d start Nsekhe until he gets hurt as when he plays, he plays well.  Then Williams can Pop over if his knee holds up.  If not, Ford would have to go back to the right side and we place Long as the right Guard.  He’s demonstrated his abilities which I was on the side of not cutting him.  He is a very good depth players, and can move to Center if Morse gets hurt.  Morse is great, but Long played that position well until he banged up his hand at the Jets.

Without question he was a leader on the line last season,  offered toughness & would not tolerate defenders trying to take extra shots at Allen.  I consider him a glue guy player on that line, amazing what we signed him for and now this terrible news.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Or our of shape.   There you go.

I'm looking forward to my man Josh making the good moves and lighting it up this season.  Poor doc----stuck in high school where it's all about who "likes" who, and all those "haters".

Sorry to hear about Mongo. He was definitely an emotional leader. That being said, I felt he probably was a average performer against the pass rush last year and maybe the poorest of all the starters. He whiffed quite a few times including the playoff game. I think Long or Williams will not be a drop off in play and may actually be an upgrade in pass protection. 

The main downside is Feliciano was awesome as our backup C and with Mitch’s injury history I think that is the worst part of this news. In a no preseason year not having a backup center getting game reps is a very bad thing. 

• Like (+1) 5

This really sucks, love watching this guy play. He leaves it all out on the field, one of the solid players that can elevate his game to another level on certain weeks. He is the definition of a gamer. 

I hope he makes a full recovery and I hope he still gets a fair contract. I really hate when this happens  to guys who put everything on the line for the good of the team. 

• Like (+1) 3