Jon Feliciano torn pec (returning to practice 10/7)

1 minute ago, eball said:

Isn't Bates a good backup C option?

I have no idea in that I haven't seen him do it in anything approaching a proper game. Feliciano and Morse were a genuine toss up at that spot. Morse more refined and better in the pass game, but whenever Feliciano had to slide in there the run game immediately got a big bump. The Bill have "options" in Long and Boehm and Bates, but it is pretty safe to assume the drop off from Morse to those 3 is greater than Morse to Feliciano.

19 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yeah - But do you remember the associated commentary? It was an insane how quick he returned. No one could believe it. 

As to the impact of the injury, this is serious. Half the reason the OL projected to be good was because of continuity. That just went up in smoke.  As much as we like to pretend otherwise, these guys aren't just plug and play. 

That’s because he tore his pec on October 27th

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I wonder if they’re having another test done or getting a second doctor’s opinion before announcing?  Just to be 100% certain.  

The team confirmed the surgery and expected time frame to reporters already

McDermott has a zoom press conference scheduled for Sunday so I’m sure he will address it then 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I've been watching all the 2018 Carolina games on game pass to get a bead on Cam Newton's most recent performances, and realized Daryl Williams was in at guard. So, I watched a couple of the 2019 games, and I gotta say, even as a fan of Feliciano, I think Williams is a better guard.

I agree with you.  I think this will be an easy decision for McD to just plug Williams in at RG.  It's times like this that we should all appreciate the work done by Beane.  The Bills have several viable combinations that they could use.  Before Beane, this would have been a train wreck.

• Like (+1) 4

41 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

This one hurts boys. 

Oline has been a big concern of mine the last two years.

Now we are paper thin.

The OL was okay with Feliciano, but it was not exactly a team strength IMO.  Without him I agree that it’s weaker.  The Bills were pretty lucky with injuries last season and I don’t think we can count in that again.  Another OL starter goes down - especially Dawkins or Morse - and the OL will be a big weakness.   I’d hate to see it derail a promising season and impact Allen’s development and evaluation.  

Still think this OL can be solid without Feliciano for a few months.  IMO, it really all depends on if Cody Ford makes a jump from his rookie year.  

Center-Left is pretty good with Morse-Spain-Dawkins, and we have solid depth on the interior. 

Re: Darryl Williams, perhaps if he’s finally fully recovered/rested from his past injuries, he could surprise in this spot. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I guess my wondering is if it’s better to defer that money now, focus on getting healthy and come back next year to earn that contract. 

I see your point though. 

He’d come out way ahead taking his money this season and signing even a vet minimum deal next season - and he will get more than that if he plays.  Also don’t forget that players who opt out this season are only getting an advance on their contract that is paid next season.   Plus he doesn’t have to worry about being cut before next season and losing out on his salary.  He even has the option to retire after this season whereas he’d have to play in 2021 to get his money if he opted out.  There is really no upside at all for him to opt out. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He’d come out way ahead taking his money this season and signing even a vet minimum deal next season - and he will get more than that if he plays.  Also don’t forget that players who opt out this season are only getting an advance on their contract that is paid next season.   Plus he doesn’t have to worry about being cut before next season and losing out on his salary.  He even has the option to retire after this season whereas he’d have to play in 2021 to get his money if he opted out.  There is really no upside at all for him to opt out. 

thats helpful! Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I wonder if they’re having another test done or getting a second doctor’s opinion before announcing?  Just to be 100% certain.  

He had the surgery this morning to repair the tear.  From what I heard, it was a completely torn and 2-3 months is extremely optimistic.  This COVID is causing timelines to be fluid because the season may not start on time, but he will end up on IR and depending on when the season actually starts, he may come back in Jan/Feb.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Darryl Williams at RG is the most likely way Buffalo deals with this.  Williams should play at least as well as Feliciano.  This does IMO make it more likely Ford stays at RT and starts.  I expect him to make a significant jump in his second year.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Process said:

From a players perspective, if you're going to suffer a long term injury this is definitely the year to do it. Get paid and avoid the **** show.

Agreed.

I'm wondering why we never heard of this injury.  All of the reports avoid mentioning when the injury occurred.  And if he finished last season with a shoulder injury, why didnt he have surgery already.

Basically, did he wait to have surgery, just to buy himself more opt-out decision time?  And to be in IR for at least half a season to get paid at his full rate, then maybe opt-out when he is medically cleared or, better, find out the season was canceled in his absence so he gets his entire year's pay with zero Virus risk.  (there must be, or probably will be, an exception to the opt-out deadline for people on IR).

And for the issue that he's in a contract year, there have been arguments that next season with its reduced cap would not be the best time to come up for an extension anyway.  Maybe a season lost to IR will allow him to sign a 1-year prove-it deal during the small cap season, then prove it and get big money in 2022.