Jon Feliciano torn pec (returning to practice 10/7)

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Boehm and Bates both played center - Long has experience but he wasn't very good anywhere and the cap savings are pretty solid. Williams probably starts at RG.

I see the line now:

Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Ford-Nsekhe

Williams-Boehm-Long-Bates

• Like (+1) 1

I've been watching all the 2018 Carolina games on game pass to get a bead on Cam Newton's most recent performances, and realized Daryl Williams was in at guard. So, I watched a couple of the 2019 games, and I gotta say, even as a fan of Feliciano, I think Williams is a better guard.

15 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Boehm and Bates both played center - Long has experience but he wasn't very good anywhere and the cap savings are pretty solid. Williams probably starts at RG.

Or Ford at RG and Williams at RT. Think those two will be the right side now though. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

If it was a torn pec, they would just say out for the season.  Seems like the speculation is running a bit amuck here. 

and this is surprising? How?

17 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Here?!  That's unpossible!

I thought that was Hitler's mistress.  ?

That’s MRS. Hitler to you, son! R.I.P. 

If it is a pec, or something that could risk half The season for him,  he would be wise to take the opt out, wouldn’t he? 

30 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

If it was a torn pec, they would just say out for the season.  Seems like the speculation is running a bit amuck here. 

JJ Watt tore his pec in late October and came back in time for the playoffs. We’re still a month and a half from the season, he could play depending on the timeline of recovery.

not saying it’s likely, but it’s not impossible.

Edited by whatdrought

12 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I've been watching all the 2018 Carolina games on game pass to get a bead on Cam Newton's most recent performances, and realized Daryl Williams was in at guard. So, I watched a couple of the 2019 games, and I gotta say, even as a fan of Feliciano, I think Williams is a better guard.

He stunk last year i guess (or so i hear), but he was playing LG.  I remember beane saying he likes him on the right side.

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If it is a pec, or something equally long term recovery, he would be wise to take the opt out, wouldn’t he? 

No, the opt out would only give him $350K maximum wouldn't it? (and that's only if he is considered high risk, otherwise it is $150K).  His normal salary will be much better, ($2,650,000) especially if he can come back at the end of the season and play well enough to get a new contract next year.  

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

28 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Yeap, Long is trash.  Don't know what Bills are going to do.

Is Morse definitely playing this year?  I know he has a small child at home.

Long is trash? No way!

He may not be a starter, but he is a very good back-up.

Although, I do think he is a better Guard than Center.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

No, the opt out would only give him $350K maximum wouldn't it? (and that's only if he is considered high risk, otherwise it is $150K).  His normal salary will be much better, ($2,650,000) especially if he can come back at the end of the season and play well enough to get a new contract next year.  

I guess my wondering is if it’s better to defer that money now, focus on getting healthy and come back next year to earn that contract. 

I see your point though. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would think he could heal up and come back for the stretch run in Dec/Jan/Feb

Especially with the relaxed roster rules this season, the team might be more likely to keep him on the back burner until he's all healed up and ready to roll. If he comes back Jan 1 that gives him 5 whole months to heal up: August, September, October, November, December. 

I would think you would want him to play in our 2 playoffs games before taking the field in the Super Bowl, though. Can't have a guy making his season debut in the big game!

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I would think he could heal up and come back for the stretch run in Dec/Jan/Feb

Especially with the relaxed roster rules this season, the team might be more likely to keep him on the back burner until he's all healed up and ready to roll. If he comes back Jan 1 that gives him 5 whole months to heal up: August, September, October, November, December. 

I would think you would want him to play in our 2 playoffs games before taking the field in the Super Bowl, though. Can't have a guy making his season debut in the big game!

After seeing how quickly JJ Watt came back from a torn pec last season, I believe this is highly possible.  

34 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If it is a pec, or something that could risk half The season for him,  he would be wise to take the opt out, wouldn’t he? 

JJ Watt tore his pec in late October and came back in time for the playoffs. We’re still a month and a half from the season, he could play depending on the timeline of recovery.

not saying it’s likely, but it’s not impossible.

Yeah - But do you remember the associated commentary? It was an insane how quick he returned. No one could believe it. 

As to the impact of the injury, this is serious. Half the reason the OL projected to be good was because of continuity. That just went up in smoke.  As much as we like to pretend otherwise, these guys aren't just plug and play. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

And this is why Beane's strategy of signing several mid-level veterans each year, most specifically for OL & DL, really starts to pay off.  We have versatility, depth, and the ability to manage these types of situations better than most teams, simply because of the foresight of our leadership team.  Plus, it helps build competition across the roster, and sometimes bears fruit with guys stepping up that you might not have expected, and flipping excess depth for draft picks.

Contrast that to previous regimes when 1 or 2 injuries and we're down to JAG's like John DiGiorgio having to take big roles

• Like (+1) 1