You knew the SEC wouldn’t cancel their season

NewEra

39 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Can you tell me about your experiences with all these Southern Confederate Rebels that root for their college football team and then call the players the “n word” behind closed doors?   

Im assuming you have a basis for saying that, unless you’re just making it up because you have a preconceived notion of the South. 

...and yes, there is racism everywhere, which is why we see this movement for racial equality across the country.   All I’m saying, is I’ve lived in the Northeast, and now reside in the Southeast... and my view of the South was definitely warped before I moved here.   I saw just as much racism growing up on Long Island, perhaps even more, than I have since moving to Atlanta. 

Let’s agree to disagree.  And judging the South by Atlanta, which is considered the Black Mecca of America, is like saying all qbs picked in the 6th round will be good because Tom Brady is.  It’s the outliner.  

The south became a republican hotbed after they felt Lyndon B Johnson betrayed them by passing civil rights act and democrats were no longer the party of segregation.  It’s ingrained in their fabric.  And while there may have progress, there are so many examples of awful racism there.  And I still believe a bunch of their fans couldn’t care less about the long term health of their student athletes.  They just want to see football and the colleges/ states know how much it means to their bottom line.  They will do immoral things to make money off these athletes, JMO. 

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Let’s agree to disagree.  And judging the South by Atlanta, which is considered the Black Mecca of America, is like saying all qbs picked in the 6th round will be good because Tom Brady is.  It’s the outliner.  

The south became a republican hotbed after they felt Lyndon B Johnson betrayed them by passing civil rights act and democrats were no longer the party of segregation.  It’s ingrained in their fabric.  And while there may have progress, there are so many examples of awful racism there.  And I still believe a bunch of their fans couldn’t care less about the long term health of their student athletes.  They just want to see football and the colleges/ states know how much it means to their bottom line.  They will do immoral things to make money off these athletes, JMO. 

Agree to disagree.  However I spend a lot of time in South Carolina as well... specifically Greenville and Columbia.  Two major college football cities, and while the people there are fanatical about their college football, plenty of die hards are black and most of the white people I know have never given me an indication that they are racist and/or view players as gladiators. 

I will say a lot of people down here are very opinionated on standing for the anthem.  If you want to view that as racial, ultra-patriotism, or a mix of both... I’ll give you that.   

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Buddy of mine used to work on a production crew for SEC football games. He stood on the sidelines with the parabolic mic to catch on-field audio and conversations. During breaks in play he would aim it at the crowd for ***** and giggles.

He told me a story about an Alabama game in particular, he aimed the mic at a section of rich old white ladies, wives of big donors/STH, sitting in the first few rows. Apparently the observations they were making about the black players, along both sexual and racial lines, would make Hitler and Caligula blush in equal measure. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why doubtful?

They would cancel the season before making college kids sign waivers.

Seriously, to even insinuate a waiver of liability would need to be signed to play is silly.

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

They would cancel the season before making college kids sign waivers.

Seriously, to even insinuate a waiver of liability would need to be signed to play is silly.

They sign waivers before each season.  Kids' parents sign waivers for AAU leagues and sports camps.  Pretty standard.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They sign waivers before each season.  Kids' parents sign waivers for AAU leagues and sports camps.  Pretty standard.

I'm speaking about Covid 19. Isn't that what we are talking about?

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'm speaking about Covid 19. Isn't that what we are talking about?

Yes, that's something they would specifically want a waiver signed for.  The risk is obvious.  Therefore so would the need for a waiver.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, that's something they would specifically want a waiver signed for.  The risk is obvious.  Therefore so would the need for a waiver.

And my point being the NCAA would shut down before making a waiver needed.

Lot of these college towns are depending on the schools being open in some capacity and unfortunately football is a huge draw for revenue supporting most of the other athletic programs.    I will agree the system is messed up and needs reform.  I live in Gainesville and am still doubtful we'll see football.  It would contradict everything the local govt has been pushing.  Were already seeing a lot of business gone that wont come back  Majority of hotels need those home games to survive and even if they play I can see the stadium having fans  Nobody is going to make it through 3 hours in the swamp in Sept wearing a face mask even if they are all night games. 

On 7/30/2020 at 4:50 PM, Virgil said:

Are the student athletes going to be the only ones on campus?  Aren't these schools going virtual?

USC is virtual as are most of the major schools. Therefore I guess they will be only ones on campus. Guess that’s their bubble strategy 

4 hours ago, Beast said:

And my point being the NCAA would shut down before making a waiver needed.

That makes no sense at all.   Players are far more likely to have life-limiting injuries than to contract life threatening COVID, yet they still allow football to be played every year.

Asking for a waiver does not mean the risk is more significant; just that it is a new risk.  

On 7/31/2020 at 2:24 PM, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Imagine losing your life because the alumni and community think football is life and death.

The athletes are not required to play this year. They can opt out and retain scholarship. If they choose to play, it is their decision. Unlike the nfl, in college there is someone just as good or maybe better right behind them ready to take their place. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 7:43 PM, YoloinOhio said:

The athletes are not required to play this year. They can opt out and retain scholarship. If they choose to play, it is their decision. Unlike the nfl, in college there is someone just as good or maybe better right behind them ready to take their place. 

Honestly, the second part of your answer cancels the first part. They can opt out, but risk losing their place on the squad. Some choice! Morituri nos salutant and all that.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:26 PM, BullBuchanan said:

A conference-only schedule might result in the best year of SEC ball ever. Alabama won't be able to get away with playing no one until the championship.

I was really looking forward to them getting tested by Samford and Western Mississippi A&M this year, and right in the heart of the schedule as always.

• Like (+1) 1

I pulled up the Alabama roster just to have a look.  On their 90 man (is it) roster, they list 19 line backers, 11 WR, 7 TE, and believe it or not 4 long snappers.  With no non-conference games this year, can't imagine so of these guys at the bottom of the roster ever seeing field.  Maybe in a kneel down against the weakest SEC  teams, but even then, likely the #12 LB is some 5 star freshman who'll they still will give the playing time too. 

Would think at some point, these players who are never going to see the field will decide that off campus party they heard about this coming Wednesday night sounds pretty good, maybe I'll break the rules and go have some fun.

I'd think if the SEC wants to maximize the chances of playing,they should cut the roster sizes down to maybe around 65 or so.  Get rid of all walk-ons or anyone they feel isn't going to play.  Let them keep any "rewards", scholarships, meal plans, etc they have got, but get them away from the rest of the team to reduce the potential spread of virus.