Bills send all rookies home for virtual meetings to try to get ahead of Covid spread (only Duke on list as of 8/6)

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I do wonder how accurate testing is. I've heard plenty of things to indicate that many tests are still pretty inaccurate. Lots of false positives and false negatives. But who knows? Everyone has a data point to share. I'm starting to think all COVID related data is compromised.

There are countless examples of people following all protocols and still getting sick. It is impossible to eliminate the risk. People still need to leave their homes to get groceries, doctor's visits, etc. Every time you leave your house there are thousands of touch points. I don't think we need to assume these guys weren't careful.

Depends on the assay, but I would assume they are using an RT-PCR assay and therefore the false positive rate is almost 0.  The RNA must be present for the assay to work.  The only false positives are lab related errors.  Mislabel a sample so the wrong person is called positive or contamination of a specimen/reagent - which usually causes many Positives on a run.  The assay is highly specific and positives are almost always positive.

False negatives are a different story - that depends Almost entirely on sample collection and that rate varies depending on where samples are collected and the viral load. 

Most likely if the data is compromised - it is compromised on the low side with positive patients being told they are negative.  The actual number of infected people is probably at least 10% higher than the reported value and some AB studies suggest closer to 20-40% percent higher than the reported numbers.

The Bills are doing the right thing - shut it down and clean up and try again once we get people back to baseline.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why wouldn't it be better to just let it happen at this point before the season so everyone's already had it by the time the season begins?

Better for whom?

• Like (+1) 2

I honestly don't see how the season will ever be completed, if it even gets off the ground.  Baseball's been back for a week and teams are already shutting down.  Short of all the players holding a COVID party and intentionally infecting each other, it's going to be an endless loop of starts and stops as groups of players test positive.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why wouldn't it be better to just let it happen at this point before the season so everyone's already had it by the time the season begins?

Are you kidding me? You don’t want to get everyone deliberately infected so they will all be over this prior to the season.This virus is serious ***** with a significant number of people taking a long time to return to health and even worse a chance of having lasting complications especially with the lungs and heart. 
This has to be one of the dumbest things I’ve read on here in a long time. You should get in touch with the White House. The current administration is looking fo people like you.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

My main concern is the health of the players that have tested positive. I hope they recover quickly and fully. I love football but I have no interest in these athletes taking unacceptable risks with their lives for the sake of my entertainment. It is beyond my knowledge to say what is and is not acceptable, it is up to league officials and the players themselves. I just hope that their decisions are being made based on full disclosure of the best evidence available. This disease is so new, there is just so much we have yet to learn. For what it is worth, great caution in the face of uncertainty seems to me to be the most reasonable path forward. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

If they can't figure out a way to be "safe" during meetings, how are they going to train, practice, or play games "safely"?

The hope is to get all these guys that are coming in from all parts of the country negative before practicing starts.  Once negative, each player is responsible for their own bubble.  There is a playbook for that (social distancing, masks, avoid indoor gatherings, blah, blah, blah) and hopefully players are capable of executing.  The team is responsible for making sure one or two players that fail don't infect 80 other individualized bubbles.  If you have 78 uninfected guys practicing together, the risk is zero.  That's the hope.  With testing being imperfect, so goes the plan.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Better for whom?

Not for those who get it. Lots of evidence now that even for many who don't get that ill there is lingering heart damage.

I think the NFL is kind of adopting a head in the sand approach. Baseball is showing the problem with the non-bubble approach, and there is far less close contact.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I think you “may“ see the teams that get some big positive outbreaks early in the year and in TC will be better positioned during the regular season. I don’t think anyone is seeking positive cases, but that may just be the consequence of big spikes now for a team. 

I say “may” because it sounds like COVID may operate like the flu, and so any immunity people get could be short-lived. So, who knows? Someone tests positive now may get it again in January. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Bills will wind up being one of the best-prepared teams at dealing with all of this.  The question is whether the rest of the league does a good enough job that games can be played.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Just cancel the season already.  

They will stay in the news, remain hopeful and stay front of mind for as long as possible. Win the news cycle, stay relevant.....THEN cancel when they have to. And I’m usually the eternal optimist. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Looks like they did figure out a way to be safe during meetings. Really they are just being proactive when it’s easy to make a change.

Well...unless they can also practice and train remotely, how are they going to be "safe" when it comes time for practices to start?

16 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Well...unless they can also practice and train remotely, how are they going to be "safe" when it comes time for practices to start?

I think the point is to make sure they don't have it and not risk them spreading it so there's a lower risk when they get to that point.

21 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Those specific players would be quarantined and the rest of them practice/train. As of today they are just in meetings, so why not be proactive and move to zoom while you can.