Bills send all rookies home for virtual meetings to try to get ahead of Covid spread (only Duke on list as of 8/6)

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If they can't figure out a way to be "safe" during meetings, how are they going to train, practice, or play games "safely"?

Looks like they did figure out a way to be safe during meetings. Really they are just being proactive when it’s easy to make a change.

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Eh.  It's like the better college plans to bring students back.  Have to test multiple times and quarantine aggressively at first and expect to catch some outbreaks and have to stamp them out.

Think of it like this: you are having pieces of firewood shipped in from all over the country, some from areas experiencing forest fires.  Expect that a certain number of those pieces of wood are going to be primed to burst into flames.  Be prepared to fling the woodpile apart and aggressively stamp on those pieces.  Then once everything has cooled down, can stack up the woodpile and keep it stacked without problems.

The season is still on a "wing and a prayer" to me, but with rookies and players coming from covid-19 hot-spots, it's not a surprise that some initial firefighting will be necessary.  Then it just depends upon how seriously everyone on all teams takes it.

Wings sound delicious right now...

Under the NFL's training camp mandate, players must register three negative tests in a five-day span in order to enter the facility. Although teams are not required to shut down their facility for a positive test, the Bills chose to minimize risk by sending players home for the day.

"As we were informed by medical experts as training camp opened, we expected to have positive tests for COVID," the team said in a statement to ESPN. "With 5 since the beginning of the testing period last Tuesday, we decided to take a disciplined, proactive and preventative approach to hopefully eliminate additional cases within our team."

The Bills' rookies first reported on July 21 to begin testing. The rookie who tested positive Thursday did so after registering three negative tests, a league source said.

A league source said the aforementioned rookie is asymptomatic; a player who tests positive can be tested again after five days if he remains asymptomatic during that span.

17 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

That was fantastic, If we ever meet I want to buy you the beverage of your choice! ?

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is crushing. I mean, I'm not trying to point fingers, but are these guys not following the mask/distancing rules? Do they not know that a full year of salary is on the line for every one of them?

Again, I don't know the details of what's going on there, but 5 positives in 4 days means the ball's being dropped somewhere.

30 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Jeeze. Three negative tests since the 21st, and then a positive test?  What a terrible sing. 

I do wonder how accurate testing is. I've heard plenty of things to indicate that many tests are still pretty inaccurate. Lots of false positives and false negatives. But who knows? Everyone has a data point to share. I'm starting to think all COVID related data is compromised.

3 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

This is crushing. I mean, I'm not trying to point fingers, but are these guys not following the mask/distancing rules? Do they not know that a full year of salary is on the line for every one of them?

Again, I don't know the details of what's going on there, but 5 positives in 4 days means the ball's being dropped somewhere.

There are countless examples of people following all protocols and still getting sick. It is impossible to eliminate the risk. People still need to leave their homes to get groceries, doctor's visits, etc. Every time you leave your house there are thousands of touch points. I don't think we need to assume these guys weren't careful.

And with the number of guys in sports who have been asymptomatic I don't think the ball is being dropped. They are being tested so they are catching the asymptomatic carriers.

Edited by MJS

3 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Gotta be Knox then

• Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I would expect little to no contribution from any rookies this year as it is.

Moss and Epenesa will be major contributors, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm really starting to doubt the viability of a season unless the league adjusts and creates some sort of bubble, even if it's a modified one.

I'm going to be so depressed without Football this Fall, but I'm emotionally preparing for it.

It's just so frustrating because the league has had (and still has) a longer period of time to get all of this figured out.

There's no way to make this perfect. But they need to make it better.

A lot better.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wonder why the rookie that was positive is such a secret?

It is not a secret - the team won’t discuss, but the names will come out with the COVID list - usually submitted by 4pm - so names are available by 4:30.

edit see Yolo’s post.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

If they can't figure out a way to be "safe" during meetings, how are they going to train, practice, or play games "safely"?

Well this is just a day or 2 in. Testing just started , I'm sure after a couple weeks , things will be much more smooth as all players will be in the local area and they'll have a 2 week testing sample to base decisions off of. 

38 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wonder why the rookie that was positive is such a secret?

I remember Sal C tweeting that the names of Covid positive players are kept confidential by teams but at the same time , they're included on the list.