Revisiting Clowney & a Look at Logan Ryan

Wizard

I know this guy named Doug. He liked to spend to the cap every year. It took years to recover from. Let's not revisit that. This team is stacked like it hasn't been in years. Let's not get greedy. And in the coming years we'll have to re-up Tre White, Dion Dawkins, and Matt Milano. The following year we'll have to re-up Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds. Even if we released Trent Murphy, you'd be adding a FOURTH starting DE and/or a FIFTH starting quality CB. Really extravagant additions that would cost us people from our core. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

6 hours ago, Locomark said:

Why is Logan Ryan always sitting out there late into the fire agency period and then only getting prove it deals ? The players put him in the top 70 players in the NFL 100, he has playoff experience and seems to make plays. Why wouldn’t a team want to drop 7-9mil on a guaranteed top flight CB? What is his knock? 

He isn't a top flight CB. 

14 hours ago, billykay said:

Wallace is not a weak link. Between the three of them it is actually a strong position.

Thanks for the reply, but I respectfully disagree. Given the overall strength of our defense and the talent at other positions, CB2 is definitely the weakest link. Not a catastrophe or anything but relative to the rest of our team. 

I agree that Wallace isn't a bad player and has some room to grow but he is very limited athletically. Norman is even slower and looked done the last couple years. While I'm optimistic our defensive scheme will showcase his strengths more, we don't know if he will bounce back. And Gaines is a great player...when healthy...which is never. 

You can guarantee that teams will continue to avoid Tre and target our CB2 a ton this year. Getting a player like Ryan would elevate our secondary and the whole defense to a new level. 

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Thanks for the reply, but I respectfully disagree. Given the overall strength of our defense and the talent at other positions, CB2 is definitely the weakest link. Not a catastrophe or anything but relative to the rest of our team. 

I agree that Wallace isn't a bad player and has some room to grow but he is very limited athletically. Norman is even slower and looked done the last couple years. While I'm optimistic our defensive scheme will showcase his strengths more, we don't know if he will bounce back. And Gaines is a great player...when healthy...which is never. 

You can guarantee that teams will continue to avoid Tre and target our CB2 a ton this year. Getting a player like Ryan would elevate our secondary and the whole defense to a new level. 

Norman only looked done last year. I suspect that is in part because he quit on that tire fire in Washington. I might be wrong but I think Norman is going to have a good season.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Logan Ryan is strictly a slot corner

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Wow imo Taron Johnson is one of the more physical guys we have in nickel

Yeah he’s physical but he’s slight of frame and has gotten hurt in there playing with the big boys 

Edited by NewEra

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

We’ll need it when skimpy Taron tackles someone and breaks.

i like Taron, But I do  feel we overrate him some

Injuries are a big concern and Edelman ate his lunch in the second matchup last year, but Johnson is a really solid player when he is on the field.

56 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Injuries are a big concern and Edelman ate his lunch in the second matchup last year, but Johnson is a really solid player when he is on the field.

I like johnson a lot. I just think he’s more easily replaceable than I had originally thought.  When his rookie contract is up, what is he worth to keep?

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I like johnson a lot. I just think he’s more easily replaceable than I had originally thought.  When his rookie contract is up, what is he worth to keep?

I can't think of many nickel corners I would actually pay. Chris Harris of the last generation (though as he has got older he has moved outside more) and Desmond King from the all time great 2017 corner class who is playing the last year of his rookie deal for the Chargers in 2020. I actually think Denzel Ward would probably be in that category as well if Cleveland is ever willing to accept that despite spending the 4th pick of the draft on him his best position is nickel. 

There are some other good guys out there but for me it is a position where you can regularly find starters on day 3 of the draft. Harris was an UDFA, Desmond King was a 5th rounder (though I had him graded as a day 2 guy) and then even in that next tier the likes of Williams in San Fran was an UDFA, Robey-Coleman was an UDFA, Kenny Moore of the Colts was an UDFA, Brian Poole of the Jets was an UDFA.... I mean I am probably missing a guy here of there but those 6 are about the best guys in the league right now. It is not a position you pay in my opinion. When Taron's contract comes up if he wants more than $1.5m a year you let him walk and draft another mid round guy 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I can't think of many nickel corners I would actually pay. Chris Harris of the last generation (though as he has got older he has moved outside more) and Desmond King from the all time great 2017 corner class who is playing the last year of his rookie deal for the Chargers in 2020. I actually think Denzel Ward would probably be in that category as well if Cleveland is ever willing to accept that despite spending the 4th pick of the draft on him his best position is nickel. 

There are some other good guys out there but for me it is a position where you can regularly find starters on day 3 of the draft. Harris was an UDFA, Desmond King was a 5th rounder (though I had him graded as a day 2 guy) and then even in that next tier the likes of Williams in San Fran was an UDFA, Robey-Coleman was an UDFA, Kenny Moore of the Colts was an UDFA, Brian Poole of the Jets was an UDFA.... I mean I am probably missing a guy here of there but those 6 are about the best guys in the league right now. It is not a position you pay in my opinion. When Taron's contract comes up if he wants more than $1.5m a year you let him walk and draft another mid round guy 

Slot corners = Running Backs?

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Slot corners = Running Backs?

There are some similarities in that there is such an excess of talented college athletes at the position. When it comes to slot corners generally find a guy who has played outside in college but lacks the size to play outside in the NFL and give him a shot. They tend to go later. I actually think the 7th rounder they took from Pitt this year is a possible starter in the slot moving forward. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Too early to tell, but I think he is resign-able.