Top 20 AFC training camp battles to watch (Bills listed 3 times)

MJS

AFC training camp battles to watch: Patriots QB, Bills RB, more

Gregg Rosenthal - AROUND THE NFL EDITOR

https://www.nfl.com/news/afc-training-camp-battles-to-watch-patriots-qb-bills-rb-more

6 - Buffalo Bills
CB · Josh Norman vs. Levi Wallace

Norman is the heavy favorite here because of his relationship with coach Sean McDermott and his $6 million contract. But he's now 32 years old, deep into his decline phase. McDermott's magic touch with the secondary will be tested.

12 - Buffalo Bills
DE · Trent Murphy vs. Mario Addison vs. A.J. Epenesa

Buffalo's pass rush was a quiet weakness last season, so general manager Brandon Beane added an old friend from Carolina (Addison) and a high pick (second-rounder Epenesa) to compete for the spot opposite Jerry Hughes. Murphy, an expensive free agent signing in 2018, could wind up anywhere from the starting lineup to off the roster.

13 - Buffalo Bills
RB · Devin Singletary vs. Zack Moss

Singletary has already proven himself, ranking among the 10 most elusive backs last season (minimum 100 carries), according to PFF. Moss is a similarly slashing runner who, like Singletary, was a third-round pick brought in to share to load and possibly steal goal-line work. Moss will have to prove himself quickly because Singletary is too legit to sit for long.

I'm not sure I agree on the Normon vs Wallace take. I think Wallace is the heavy favorite, especially given that Norman is not going to have the normal preseason to establish himself. The other two I agree with, although I think the plan all along is to have heavy doses of BOTH Singletary and Moss (although Moss will get phased in much like Singletary was behind Gore). I'm more excited about AJ Epenesa than most. I really liked what I saw from the highlights and videos I went back and watched after we drafted him. I hope he gets a lot of playing time.
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/afc-training-camp-battles-to-watch-patriots-qb-bills-rb-more

12 - Buffalo Bills

Buffalo's pass rush was a quiet weakness last season, so general manager Brandon Beane added an old friend from Carolina (Addison) and a high pick (second-rounder Epenesa) to compete for the spot opposite Jerry Hughes. Murphy, an expensive free agent signing in 2018, could wind up anywhere from the starting lineup to off the roster.

Yeah, the pass rush was such a quiet weakness that they finished 12th with 44 sacks.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

6 - Buffalo Bills
CB · Josh Norman vs. Levi Wallace

Norman is the heavy favorite here because of his relationship with coach Sean McDermott and his $6 million contract. But he's now 32 years old, deep into his decline phase. McDermott's magic touch with the secondary will be tested.

12 - Buffalo Bills

13 - Buffalo Bills

Singletary has already proven himself, ranking among the 10 most elusive backs last season (minimum 100 carries), according to PFF. Moss is a similarly slashing runner who, like Singletary, was a third-round pick brought in to share to load and possibly steal goal-line work. Moss will have to prove himself quickly because Singletary is too legit to sit for long.

I'm not sure I agree on the Normon vs Wallace take. I think Wallace is the heavy favorite, especially given that Norman is not going to have the normal preseason to establish himself. The other two I agree with, although I think the plan all along is to have heavy doses of BOTH Singletary and Moss (although Moss will get phased in much like Singletary was behind Gore). I'm more excited about AJ Epenesa than most. I really liked what I saw from the highlights and videos I went back and watched after we drafted him. I hope he gets a lot of playing time.

I am more the opposite on this than you.  I think Levi vs Norman is a legit battle.  I like Levi, but I can see Norman putting a real challenge for the starting spot.  And if he truly has a lot left in the tank back in McD's system, then he has a strong case to push Levi as the starter.  

I think Addison is a heavier favorite to start and same with Singletary.  In fact, I think there is almost 0% chance for either Moss or Epenesa to push to start early in the season, that is definitely not the way McD and this staff typically handle rookies, especially with quality depth ahead of them.  They have consistently made rookies earn it, even with Singletary being the more effective RB, Gore still started a lot longer than he should have last year.  Oliver, a top 10 draft pick was not even handed the starting role.  

So for me, I think Singletary is a lock to start the season as RB1, especially coming off the season he just had as a highly effective playmaker.  Doesnt mean Moss wont push for more carries over the season, much like Devin did last year, but Devin will be RB1 barring injury come week 1 IMO.  And while Murphy has the time in the system over Addison, he is not the same caliber of player by any means.  Epenesa will get playing time for sure, but I doubt McD is going to roll with him as a week 1 starter over a guy like Addison.  If he was only competing against Murphy, I would give him a better shot of winning the starting job by week 1.  

• Like (+1) 3

Ha! tried to guess all three from title before clicking and got all three - except I added Gaines as well to battle #1. He got hurt last year - so couldnt really compete - but he also has experience with the McD / Frazier zone coverage and performed  well. He might be the dark horse. Combining these three  with White and Taron Johnson, I feel good about our CB position and strength.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

54 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am more the opposite on this than you.  I think Levi vs Norman is a legit battle.  I like Levi, but I can see Norman putting a real challenge for the starting spot.  And if he truly has a lot left in the tank back in McD's system, then he has a strong case to push Levi as the starter.  

I think Addison is a heavier favorite to start and same with Singletary.  In fact, I think there is almost 0% chance for either Moss or Epenesa to push to start early in the season, that is definitely not the way McD and this staff typically handle rookies, especially with quality depth ahead of them.  They have consistently made rookies earn it, even with Singletary being the more effective RB, Gore still started a lot longer than he should have last year.  Oliver, a top 10 draft pick was not even handed the starting role.  

So for me, I think Singletary is a lock to start the season as RB1, especially coming off the season he just had as a highly effective playmaker.  Doesnt mean Moss wont push for more carries over the season, much like Devin did last year, but Devin will be RB1 barring injury come week 1 IMO.  And while Murphy has the time in the system over Addison, he is not the same caliber of player by any means.  Epenesa will get playing time for sure, but I doubt McD is going to roll with him as a week 1 starter over a guy like Addison.  If he was only competing against Murphy, I would give him a better shot of winning the starting job by week 1.  

I think it is a legit battle between Norman and Wallace, but with this off-season being the way it is I just don't think Norman will have the opportunity to show he is a clear upgrade. I believe Wallace will start. Now, as the season goes on and Norman gets a lot of playing time that could definately change.

And I agree with the young guys like Moss and Epenesa not starting and being phased in. That's how McDermott seems to operate, although Edmunds and White were immediate starters.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think it is a legit battle between Norman and Wallace, but with this off-season being the way it is I just don't think Norman will have the opportunity to show he is a clear upgrade. I believe Wallace will start. Now, as the season goes on and Norman gets a lot of playing time that could definately change.

And I agree with the young guys like Moss and Epenesa not starting and being phased in. That's how McDermott seems to operate, although Edmunds and White were immediate starters.

Both Edmunds and White had no competition to beat out really either in terms of guys on their level, even as rookies. So I think they are more than exception than the rule in terms of how McD and the team look at bringing rookies along.  

And you have good points about Norman, or any player really new to the system this year given the restrictions of this unique offseason.  But Norman is very familiar with McD's defense, so I think the learning curve is greatly helped there by that fact, which is why I think he will have a legit shot at a week 1 starting spot opposite of Tre if he has anything left in the tank.  

Just hard to know with Norman as he wasn't in an ideal system in Washington, so we don't really know what he can still do in a system better suited for his game.  Will be fun to watch.  And I still do really like Wallace, so I am not counting him out.  Just seeing this as one of the more legit battles heading into camp.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

Yeah, the pass rush was such a quiet weakness that they finished 12th with 44 sacks.

Great coverage can cover up a weak pass rush because the qb has to hold onto the ball longer 

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Both Edmunds and White had no competition to beat out really either in terms of guys on their level, even as rookies. So I think they are more than exception than the rule in terms of how McD and the team look at bringing rookies along.  

And you have good points about Norman, or any player really new to the system this year given the restrictions of this unique offseason.  But Norman is very familiar with McD's defense, so I think the learning curve is greatly helped there by that fact, which is why I think he will have a legit shot at a week 1 starting spot opposite of Tre if he has anything left in the tank.  

Just hard to know with Norman as he wasn't in an ideal system in Washington, so we don't really know what he can still do in a system better suited for his game.  Will be fun to watch.  And I still do really like Wallace, so I am not counting him out.  Just seeing this as one of the more legit battles heading into camp.  

If Norman gets back to what made him a superstar, our defense is going to be amazing. I'm a little skeptical that he can, but if anyone can get that out of him it's McDermott. The secondary is his specialty.

And I agree that White and Edmunds were more the exceptions for starting right away. But they are also really good. I would hope if Epanesa shows that he is really good that he will be given a real shot to start. I think Singletary was held back a little, but perhaps part of that was pass protection and also missing games.

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

I figured that would be brought up. It's interesting because as a team we had a good pass rush but we don't really have any individually great pass rushers. I think it is safe to say that it would help our defense a lot if we had a consistent 10+ sack edge rusher for offenses to have to account for and game plan against.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Somebody gonna let Daboll know?

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Somebody gonna let Daboll know?

I felt like Daboll wanted a committee RB approach. He saw Gore as the short yardage, goal line, and pass protection back. Problem was Gore sucked worse and worse as the season went on.

Then right when Singletary was getting more snaps, he got hurt.

I'm fine with that same approach with Moss instead of Gore, because Moss will (hopefully) actually be useful.

56 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I believe Beane and McD are wanting a CB2 who is physical against the run to pair up with Tre White.  If healthy, I could see Norman or Gaines beat out Wallace. 

Isn't the slot CB the one that would need to be physical against the run? The CB2 is still going to be lined up outside and not often involved in run plays.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I figured that would be brought up. It's interesting because as a team we had a good pass rush but we don't really have any individually great pass rushers. I think it is safe to say that it would help our defense a lot if we had a consistent 10+ sack edge rusher for offenses to have to account for and game plan against.

The pass rush was effective and not just for sacks for teams could not just limit one main pass rusher.  Teams had to account for someone from any position being in backfield and sometimes two at once unexpectedly.  Zo was particularly disruptive in backfield even if he did not get the sack and we will miss him.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

The pass rush was effective and not just for sacks for teams could not just limit one main pass rusher.  Teams had to account for someone from any position being in backfield and sometimes two at once unexpectedly.  Zo was particularly disruptive in backfield even if he did not get the sack and we will miss him.

The same thing can be achieved if you have a great edge rusher as well, it just compounds the difficulty for the offense to handle. Because they have to account for the edge rusher AND the possibility of an unknown blitzer.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Isn't the slot CB the one that would need to be physical against the run? The CB2 is still going to be lined up outside and not often involved in run plays.

I believe the Bills are trying to upgrade both CB2 and slot CB.  Beane and McD are trying to catch to some lightning in a bottle with Gaines and Norman.  If Gaines can stay healthy and Norman upgrades his play from his Washington days, they'll see the field quite a bit with White imo.  Re-watching games from last year, Taron Johnson and Wallace left me wanting more from them.  Just not enough impact plays along with solid tackling at times.