Favorite Pre-Corona Vacation Destination?

A small town on the Costa del Sol called Nerja.

Sandwiched between the Sierra Nevada mountain range and the Mediterranean. Small winding streets and buildings with white-washed walls. 

A multitude of restaurants covering all types of cuisines. 

Only about an hour from Malaga and the airport. 

Edited by BritBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Cook Islands.  (Rarotonga and Aitutaki.)

The wife and I were scheduled to fly there next week, for a two-week holiday.

Cancelled.

The sad part is that the Cook Islands haven't had a single case of Covid-19 and we're free from it, apart from Kiwis returning from overseas.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Your friend probably was not made familiar with “FastPass” :). Although, I think under their limited admission reopen policies that’s been suspended currently? 

Without the FastPass Disney would be right up there with Gary, IN. Sweating buckets waiting under a blistering sun for 45 minutes to go on a two minute ride is NOT my idea of a good time!

We took the kids to breakfast with the characters one time. The family at the table next to us had one kid shrieking in fear, hiding under the table to stay away from the giant creepy monsters in the room. Pulled on the table cloth HARD and almost cleared to whole table!  Ahh......the good old days!  I hope they can laugh about it.................now. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

Cook Islands.  (Rarotonga and Aitutaki.)

The wife and I were scheduled to fly there next week, for a two-week holiday.

Cancelled.

The sad part is that the Cook Islands haven't had a single case of Covid-19 and we're free from it, apart from Kiwis returning from overseas.

I’ve looked at both of those spots. We did Moorea & Bora Bora for our honeymoon and have always wanted to go back to the South Pacific. Had originally planned to do our 10 year at Huahine, Rangiroa & Bora Bora. Too many life obstacles going on to make it happen at the time but whenever we do go back that way (God willing), I think we’ll probably do that and also tack on the Cooks as well. Hell, if you’re already in the neighborhood why not!? 

10 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I’ve looked at both of those spots. We did Moorea & Bora Bora for our honeymoon and have always wanted to go back to the South Pacific. Had originally planned to do our 10 year at Huahine, Rangiroa & Bora Bora. Too many life obstacles going on to make it happen at the time but whenever we do go back that way (God willing), I think we’ll probably do that and also tack on the Cooks as well. Hell, if you’re already in the neighborhood why not!? 

Nice!

We visited Tahiti and Moorea years ago and loved it.  Very expensive though.

The Cooks are a LOT cheaper and less built up.  It's really like going back in time.

They are just a short flight from here. There isn't a language barrier and they use our (NZ) currency.  Life couldn't be easier than in the Cooks!

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

Without the FastPass Disney would be right up there with Gary, IN. Sweating buckets waiting under a blistering sun for 45 minutes to go on a two minute ride is NOT my idea of a good time!

We took the kids to breakfast with the characters one time. The family at the table next to us had one kid shrieking in fear, hiding under the table to stay away from the giant creepy monsters in the room. Pulled on the table cloth HARD and almost cleared to whole table!  Ahh......the good old days!  I hope they can laugh about it.................now. 

I don't  think it would be as bad  as a visit  to Gary... LoL...

What if everyone  bought a FastPass.  Oh wait, they can't  do that.

21 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I don't  think it would be as bad  as a visit  to Gary... LoL...

What if everyone  bought a FastPass.  Oh wait, they can't  do that.

Without the FastPass, I would seriously chose a different destination. I actually liked Busch Gardens and the waterpark across the street in Tampa more than anything in Orlando. Cheaper and better, IMO. A fine choice. I may be prejudice because getting to Orlando on I-4 in traffic is a nightmare and we did that frequently for AAU basketball.  ?

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Right now, WDW has no FastPass, no park hopping, no parades, no fireworks, and no shows that have union performers...but are still charging you a full price to get in.  With how things are in FLA right now, even if they let me stay in one of their hotels for free, and go in the parks for free, I'd say no.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Without the FastPass, I would serious chose a different destination. I actually liked Busch Gardens and the waterpark across the street in Tampa more than anything in Orlando. Cheaper and better, IMO. A fine choice. I may be prejudice because getting to Orlando on I-4 in traffic is a nightmare and we did that frequently for AAU basketball.  ?

But you gotta  get them  early. The ran out at Cedar Point one year we were there. 

They have to limit the #s, can't  accommodate  all the  elites. Everyone  should  attempt  to buy them.  It would  be the same  line. 

8 hours ago, BritBill said:

A small town on the Costa del Sol called Nerja.

Sandwiched between the Sierra Nevada mountain range and the Mediterranean. Small window cleaning winding streets and buildings with white-washed walls. 

A multitude of restaurants covering all types of cuisines. 

Only about an hour from Malaga and the airport. 

We did a Spanish cuisine cooking class vacation to that area, although west of Malaga, not east where Nerja is.

After an entire career of travel, I have to do something on vacation rather than just tour around or visit famous sites. Bike trips and cooking classes have been the most fun.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/29/2020 at 12:54 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Also, for the kids (and my inner kid), this is right up there:

DisneyEntrance.jpg

I have yet to go here, so in the meantime I make do with what California has.

Disneyland Closure - FAQs, Refunds & Disneyland Reopening

Looking forward to when they re-open.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wife and I had to cancel a 7 day trip to Jamaica.  We usually go to Wells Beach in Maine, which is relatively safe I guess, but we still opted to skip this year.

My parents own a beach house in North Myrtle.  We usually go down during the week of spring break and then one week during the summer.  We decided not to, but I’m amazed that they were able to rent it out all summer long.  I guess it’s much safer than the hotels down there that are running at full capacity ?

18 hours ago, Augie said:

Without the FastPass, I would serious chose a different destination. I actually liked Busch Gardens and the waterpark across the street in Tampa more than anything in Orlando. Cheaper and better, IMO. A fine choice. I may be prejudice because getting to Orlando on I-4 in traffic is a nightmare and we did that frequently for AAU basketball.  ?

Yeah, the one time we went we had the magic genie pass or whatever that let us skip every line.  Otherwise don't think we'd have lasted very long standing in those lines.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/31/2020 at 5:07 AM, sherpa said:

We did a Spanish cuisine cooking class vacation to that area, although west of Malaga, not east where Nerja is.

After an entire career of travel, I have to do something on vacation rather than just tour around or visit famous sites. Bike trips and cooking classes have been the most fun.

That sounds excellent.

We did a day trip to Gibraltar one year which took us to the region to the west of Malaga. Stopped off at Puerta Banus.

Did you get to Malaga city itself? 

1 hour ago, BritBill said:

That sounds excellent.

We did a day trip to Gibraltar one year which took us to the region to the west of Malaga. Stopped off at Puerta Banus.

No.

Flew into Madrid, took the train to Malaga, picked up at the train station and went to the cooking class location, about an hour an half west.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BritBill said:

That sounds excellent.

We took a Windstar cruise from Barcelona to Lisbon last fall. Malaga and Gibraltar were a couple of the stops. Had a fantastic time, but we were several days in before we realized you could play with your location settings on your phone and it would tell you where all those pictures were taken. Great option so the pictures don’t all blend together leaving you to ask “I wonder where we were in that one?”. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/1/2020 at 11:16 PM, Augie said:

We took a Windstar cruise from Barcelona to Lisbon last fall. Malaga and Gibraltar were a couple of the stops. Had a fantastic time, but we were several days in before we realized you could play with your location settings on your phone and it would tell you where all those pictures were taken. Great option so the pictures don’t all blend together leaving you to ask “I wonder where we were in that one?”. 

What did you think of Gibraltar? We didn't like it. It was like going back in time to a late 80's Britain. The saving grace was the ride up to the top of the rock and the WWII tunnels. 

We loved Malaga. A very laid back City. The Picasso museum is excellent. 

I've also visited Barcelona and Lisbon but to watch soccer. We had 3 nights in Barcelona so got to see nearly everything. Lisbon I've been to twice but each time was just for the day. Well, I say day but the first time ended up a long day. Left home at 6pm Saturday. Flight to Lisbon left around 2am. I fainted on the plane. Landed in Lisbon at 4am. Into the city centre by 5am. Plenty of time to have a wander. Up to see Sporting Lisbon's stadium. Drinks and food by the Tagus then back to Rossio Square for pre-match party. Soccer game kicked off at 9pm. Straight to the airport after the game but not before being taken to some kind of holding centre which thankfully had a bar and somewhere to relax. Flight home around 4am. Land back in England about 6am. Finally made it back through my front door around 8am on the Monday. 

I'd just got showered and laid on my bed for a sleep when a mate knocked on my door asking if I fancied the pub. Good job I was 24 at the time. 

County Clare on the West coast of Ireland. Wild and wonderful, with lovely people, great music and terrific Guinness. I'll be going back. Again.

Crete. Hoping to go the end of September, start of October this year. Everything crossed for that one. Lovely people, especially at the apartments where I stay. Loads to do apart from the sun, sea and sand.

Cyprus. Again, wonderful people, beautiful beaches, and great climate for probably 9 months of the year. Went there a lot as a friend worked there for years. Not likely to go back in a hurry, (lots of other places to get to) but would recommend it to anyone.

Italy - specifically the Amalfi Coast. Just beautiful, and for someone who has an interest in history, chock full of incredible archaeological sites, easily accessible from a little railway line. Pompei, Herculaneum etc.

Barbados. Fabulous Island. Great people, and sunsets to die for. I suspect that many other of the caribbean islands will be similar, but Barbados is simply beautiful.

Normandy in France. Loads of history to do with the D-Day stuff. Plenty of apple based products, including Calvados, which is good stuff. People from the UK should have gone there around the time of any D-Day celebrations, to understand what the idea behind a united 'Europe' was, and especially to see the generosity and respect that the veterans of D-Day were given. One time, when leaving a bar, where we had been before, we tried to quietly leave a 'drink' for some British Para vets of D-Day. We were refused. The bar manager told us that 'those men will not be paying for anything here'. Thing is, he could have just taken the mony, and we wouldn't have been any the wiser.

There are a few cities I think I'd mention.

Amsterdam - a whole different vibe. Needs to be experienced. Best place to drink Belgian beer (which is Industrial strength).

Prague, again, a different vibe, but lots of interesting architecture. Lots of good local lagers, that are cheap. Nice people once ice is broken.

Edinburgh. A 'cool' vibe in the centre. Need to be prepared for some up and down walking.