Favorite Pre-Corona Vacation Destination?

We’ve been going to Cape May on the southern tip of New Jersey for 20 years, and we went again in July as the virus numbers dropped enough for the hotel on the beach to open. They gave us a $20 a day credit at their outdoor seating restaurant for every day we didn’t use maid service, which came to $180. Everyone wore masks and socially distanced. At least 6 feet apart on the beach.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Well played Limeaid! And FWIW we went to Maui on our honeymoon and loved it so much we went back for our 1 yr anniversary, that time to Oahu—we loved every minute. It’s been over 10 yrs ago now though, beyond time to get back. 

Hawaii is high on my list of places to go, but I just can’t get the wife interested. I’ll have to check a bunch of other places off the list before I can make that happen. 

My favorite “regular” destination is Hilton Head Island, SC. Lived there after college, met my wife there and our kids were born there. It’s part vacation, part “going home”. Cool blend, and an easy 4 hour drive from Atlanta. 

My favorite “special” destination is Barcelona, Spain. Awesome city. Tooka cruise last year from Barcelona to Lisbon. Next year same Windstar ship from Italy to Barcelona. As much as I want to see the new places, I can’t wait to get back to Barcelona! 

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Gary, Indiana.   Check  out that view  of The Lake!  You've not been living if you've  never  visited!

Gary-Aerial.jpg

Sure, there's  some  bad parts... But like any place  else, you  learn to avoid them!

maxresdefault.jpg

The picturesque lighthouse  makes up for it:

8587836516_76455194c4_b.jpg

Same with the Jackson 5 museum, don't  miss that:

michael-jackson-family.jpg

And  you  can't  beat  $27 flights into Greater Gary Airport!

Gary-airport.jpg

I got the Shadester beat,  I am a homey  too!  Gateway to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSg9Istqh5mMm2GY739SAR

I met a guy one time and we’re chatting before tennis. We’re in the whole “and where are you originally from” conversation. He says “Oh, I’m from the armpit of the United States”. I say, “so Gary, Indiana.” He said “how did you know?” And I respond “I just drove thru it once, and that’s all it took”.  What are the odds? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Gary, Indiana.   Check  out that view  of The Lake!  You've not been living if you've  never  visited!

Gary-Aerial.jpg

Sure, there's  some  bad parts... But like any place  else, you  learn to avoid them!

maxresdefault.jpg

The picturesque lighthouse  makes up for it:

8587836516_76455194c4_b.jpg

Same with the Jackson 5 museum, don't  miss that:

michael-jackson-family.jpg

And  you  can't  beat  $27 flights into Greater Gary Airport!

I worked in the newsroom of the Post-Tribune in the mid-'90s. I lived in downtown Chicago and commuted every day. At about 2 a.m. one morning, driving home, I was pulled over on main street. The officer asked me if I knew what I did wrong, and I said I didn't. He said, "You stopped at a red light. Don't ever do that again after 6 p.m."

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I did that one for the 1st time this year, and have to say Disney does it right—great course, great support, and great camaraderie amongst the field of runners—it was my 1st ever marathon and decided I’d try to make this an annual tradition...hope we both get the chance at this one again soon! 

That’s for sure. Very well organized & executed from start to finish. Pretty impressive considering the amount of participants. We’ve done the January 1/2 twice and then switched to the wine & dine and have done that 6 times. Always enjoy doing the race, relaxing for a bit then drinking around the world!

1 hour ago, 707BillsFan said:

Aruba. We try and go every couple of years. This was our year, pushed it to next year instead (?). Also love Hilton Head and of course, Buffalo.

We were supposed to do Aruba for the first time in April. Was really looking forward to it. “Supposed” to drive down to Hilton head for a partial week before Labor Day but not sure if that will happen or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

My favorite “regular” destination is Hilton Head Island, SC. Lived there after college, met my wife there and our kids were born there. It’s part vacation, part “going home”. Cool blend, and an easy 4 hour drive from Atlanta. 

I met a guy one time and we’re chatting before tennis. We’re in the whole “and where are you originally from” conversation. He says “Oh, I’m from the armpit of the United States”. I say, “so Gary, Indiana.” He said “how did you know?” And I respond “I just drove thru it once, and that’s all it took”.  What are the odds? 

Any of your kids named "Hilton"?

And I thought that was Gary's official nickname.

21 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Also, for the kids (and my inner kid), this is right up there:

DisneyEntrance.jpg

I’ve only been there once but I remember it fondly.

Its funny though my one friend took his kids there because they wanted to go.  He absolutely loathed every second of it whatever reason lol

I guess it’s subjective?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Hawaii is high on my list of places to go, but I just can’t get the wife interested. I’ll have to check a bunch of other places off the list before I can make that happen. 

My wife wants to go to Hawaii but I’m not a fan of long flights. Perhaps you could take her, and I’ll take your wife for a car ride.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Its funny though my one friend took his kids there because they wanted to go.  He absolutely loathed every second of it whatever reason lol

I guess it’s subjective?  

Your friend probably was not made familiar with “FastPass” :). Although, I think under their limited admission reopen policies that’s been suspended currently? 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Your friend probably was not made familiar with “FastPass” :). Although, I think under their limited admission reopen policies that’s been suspended currently? 

This was at least 5 years ago when he went.

Too add more fuel to his fire his flight got delayed home for at least 3 hours ?

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

and I’ll take your wife for a car ride.

Will you pay for a nice seafood dinner, and never call her back?

56 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I guess it’s subjective?  

"Happiest Place on Earth" my *%$. My ex-wife LOVED that place. My kids had fun also but goodness, it's expensive, hot, busy, and stressful. Luckily it's easy to get a good beer all around.

48 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Many people do not want to pay as much as PSLs for an amusement part.  It takes the fun out of it.

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

My wife wants to go to Hawaii but I’m not a fan of long flights. Perhaps you could take her, and I’ll take your wife for a car ride.

We flew out for a California wine trip one time. Many of the people around us were going on to Hawaii. She could not bear the thought of another long leg in the air. Strangely, she had no qualms about flying to Spain last year, and we’re looking forward to a trip to Italy next year. She just doesn’t care much for Hawaii is all I can think......

So, NO, you CANNOT take my wife for a “car ride”.  :)

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

We flew out for a California wine trip one time. Many of the people around us were going on to Hawaii. She could not bear the thought of another long leg in the air. Strangely, she had no qualms about flying to Spain last year, and we’re looking forward to a trip to Italy next year. She just doesn’t care much for Hawaii is all I can think......

I am with your wife on Hawaii. Not a place I'd ever choose to visit again.

Have fun in Italy! We were there for six weeks last fall and got to travel a lot of the country (the time before that we were there it was mostly Rome and Florence). The next time(s) we go will be 2 weeks in a set location really getting to know an area well. And drinking wine. Lots of wine. ?