Got on skates for the first time in 14 months

Some of you might know I've had Conformis implants installed in both knees. It's been 14 months for my right knee and 8 months for my left. I've been dying to see if I could return to playing hockey, so I laced up my skates and got on the ice for a 20 minute skate with a stick and puck.

The first 30 seconds felt like I was going to wind up on my arse, but I found my balance returning quickly. I kept skating until I felt my first "twinge." I wasn't able to cross over yet, and I didn't try a sideways snow-spray stop yet. But I feel like I might be able to start playing beer league in a few weeks if I keep going.

I still feel an echo of that twinge in my left knee but it's not bad. I have to get stronger in both knees. I have not done much more than walking and biking since my recovery.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Just how far north are you?!

Good to hear that recovery continues.

I went back to my old league, that is playing despite Covid precautions. They let me work out before the games. Had no choice because none of the rinks here in NH are offering stick-n-puck for the general public yet.

Congrats on the recovery! That’s a long time to be off the ice. We were shut down till mid June I think and didn’t realize how much I missed it! We lost a close on in first round of playoffs last session. I think we start fall session late August. Good luck out there