In Honor of National Chicken Wing Day - Drums or Flats?

Drums or Flats?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you eat the drums or the flats?

• Drums
    • Flats
    • Both
    • Neither (You can leave your Bills Fan card at the door on your way out)

Both and I love them cold the next day as well.  The cold brings out the flavor in a lot of things such as stews as well as wings and drums.  If I am at a party I will go hard after the drums.  I long for the old days where as a college student I could get like a 3 lb or 50 count bucket for around 3.00 dollars.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Tend to prefer flats but never passed on a drum 

obviously hot and crispy preferred but leftovers can still be good

spicier the better. Some sweating and a few tears welcome.

If you don't sweat, what's the point, really?  I like it when I get the hiccups. That's when I know it's hot enough. Crispy is a must!

• Like (+1) 1

Prefer flats, will eat both - agree with Dean-O.  Crispy is a must, the hotter the better.  

Locally, there is a place a called The Peanut Bar - wings are "ranked" #6 n the USA.  The sauce is FOAMY!!!  WTF is that?!?!  They do serve them  crispy, but the sauce was a real letdown.

Local bar called Brewer's has the best wings around - usually crispy and their Death Sauce is tasty and quite spicy - i can order an extra to ensure full coating/finger lickin'.

3 hours ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Locally, there is a place a called The Peanut Bar - wings are "ranked" #6 n the USA.  The sauce is FOAMY!!!  WTF is that?!?!  They do serve them  crispy, but the sauce was a real letdown.

Because I care about wings greatly (unlike @Royale with Cheese), I decided to investigate your foamy sauce claim.........

image.png.fac7e17e733b9badae805ac323e37ddb.png

OH THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:31 AM, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

I eat both.

From my experience in college when I cooked thousands of wings every weekend, an order of "just flats" was requested multiple times a day. An order of "just drums" never happened.

Could be why the average order always seems to have more drums than flats....

I worked at three restaurants serving wings as a teen and each one had us bag five flats and five drums into a small ziplock type bag.  They recognized the importance of balance.  I enjoy both types but would prefer the drums if it were my last meal. 

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Yeah that's great and all, but what the *$&% is that dipping sauce? I may report that video........

I think you should. Just horrible.

The guy is mostly right about how to eat a flat. And I know he went slow for the demonstration. But you I just pick op the ends, twist and pull. Simple. Only ONE bone really needs to be removed (does he take out the bone in the drummette), but typically both come out.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/2/2020 at 12:51 PM, The Dean said:

I think you should. Just horrible.

The guy is mostly right about how to eat a flat. And I know he went slow for the demonstration. But you I just pick op the ends, twist and pull. Simple. Only ONE bone really needs to be removed (does he take out the bone in the drummette), but typically both come out.

With flats, I hold it by one end and put the entire flat in my mouth so it lays flat on my tongue.  Then I lightly clench my teeth and pull it out.  Top and bottom teeth grab the most of the chicken off of both sides of the flat.  Then I snap it with the twist and pull method and clean the bones off.

It's the best way, IMO, to get the most meat at once.  Eating it with the "little corn on the cob" method will just get little pieces of meat at a time.  Eff that!

My method gets most of the meat and most of the flavor with one pull!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

With flats, I hold it by one end and put the entire flat in my mouth so it lays flat on my tongue.  Then I lightly clench my teeth and pull it out.  Top and bottom teeth grab the most of the chicken off of both sides of the flat.  Then I snap it with the twist and pull method and clean the bones off.

This is the way.

I like both but prefer drums since theres usually some loose flapping skin at the end of the drum which adds extra crunchy texture.  The girl prefers flats and we always order too much so it works out perfectly.  

• Like (+1) 1

This is really equal for me. That's the beauty of a bucket of wings - you can mix it up, and get the best of both worlds. Both have wonderful attributes.

If I had to live with just one or the other, it would be hard to decide.