2020 Hurricane Season

T&C

Another year, another storm pointing itself at Florida.

At least this one is a weakling compared to the storms we've had coming near or on land here in Florida over the past few years.

Prior to the last 4 years, I would say the Central Florida area wasn't even in the "cone" for a storm for a good 10 years. Its getting annoying.

2+ months of the Hurricane season to go.....

This is not the year to have a major hurricane hit your area(not that there ever is a good time for one!!).

Covid +? Major Hurricane? = RIP Florida

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing I dislike more than hurricane season in Sarasota...........is not living in Sarasota any more. 

Maybe one day, at least part time.  

Good luck to our Florida folks this season. Bad timing for a bad season. I’m OK with Cat 1-3, but if it’s a 4 or a 5 we run away like Monty Python vs a lethal ninja bunny! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/1/2020 at 7:02 PM, Special K said:

Another year, another storm pointing itself at Florida.

At least this one is a weakling compared to the storms we've had coming near or on land here in Florida over the past few years.

Prior to the last 4 years, I would say the Central Florida area wasn't even in the "cone" for a storm for a good 10 years. Its getting annoying.

2+ months of the Hurricane season to go.....

This is not the year to have a major hurricane hit your area(not that there ever is a good time for one!!).

Covid +? Major Hurricane? = RIP Florida

West central Florida here. I'm glad this one swung wide, have tree guys coming over in a week to do around 3K worth of trimming around the house. The storm hit the Hudson Valley with sustained winds of 65mph... I'm surprised they were that high but it probably was because it was moving northward at a 28mph clip. 

Still have some clean up to do after Irma... my yard was a wreck, a lot of trees down... fences, you name it.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 4:52 PM, Augie said:

The only thing I dislike more than hurricane season in Sarasota...........is not living in Sarasota any more. 

Maybe one day, at least part time.  

Good luck to our Florida folks this season. Bad timing for a bad season. I’m OK with Cat 1-3, but if it’s a 4 or a 5 we run away like Monty Python vs a lethal ninja bunny! 

Come to CA, nice and warm and no hurricanes!!  Just a few hundred wildfires each fall....

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

ready for the double hurricane hitting the gulf next week. Very on brand for 2020

As long as it hits the gulf I'm probably good... other folks though it could be a changer.

The fact that its moving so fast will hopefully keep it from strengthening too quickly as it approaches South Florida, however once it gets into the Gulf, all bets are off due to the fact that the Gulf waters are as warm as bathwater, which is like jet-fuel for these storms.

I'm cautiously optimistic that my location near the Orlando area will be spared this time, but you never know with these things.

Good luck to whoever ends up being in its path.

45 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Yeah stay safe.....I have friends in Healdsburg off Chiquita Rd. in danger, and my Buffalo uncles live in Sebastapol. 

I'm not too worried about this one (famous last words). This is in a "no man's land" of forest area. The vineyards are a great fire line and there are many between this fire and Healdsburg (there is a route it can take to Healdsburg though), Windsor and Santa Rosa. Sebastopol is most likely safe as well (still many miles away). Yeah, this time of year sucks. Never used to be like this. 

1 hour ago, Tony P said:

Holy Schlitz (the beer that made Milwaukee famous)!

Stay safe 707. 

Devastating to Napa/Sonoma from what the media is reporting. Very tragic. 

Thanks. It's not fun anymore. It's become an every year occurrence. This particular fire hasn't hit anything of consequence yet. It's threatening a couple resort towns along the Russian River and possibly Healdsburg if it manages to do a Houdini and escape all the built in fire lines (vineyards). 

16 hours ago, NoSaint said:

ready for the double hurricane hitting the gulf next week. Very on brand for 2020

Looking at the tracks for both of them this looks more and more like its going to happen.

Now tropical storm Laura looks to be trending a bit more south so if it rides along Cuba that would be great news, the mountains will definitely keep it in check till it hits the gulf.

20 minutes ago, T&C said:

Looking at the tracks for both of them this looks more and more like its going to happen.

Now tropical storm Laura looks to be trending a bit more south so if it rides along Cuba that would be great news, the mountains will definitely keep it in check till it hits the gulf.

yea the updates seem to be converging. Being here in Nola I feel like a fat kid trying to squeeze through a small gap. 

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

yea the updates seem to be converging. Being here in Nola I feel like a fat kid trying to squeeze through a small gap. 

If Laura were to go as we see it now you would at least be on the "good" side of it so water will go out instead of in. The other system looks like it has to deal with the Yukatan peninsula so that may keep it curbed. Plus, it they are both in the same area the water is churned which will bring up cooler water.

50 minutes ago, T&C said:

If Laura were to go as we see it now you would at least be on the "good" side of it so water will go out instead of in. The other system looks like it has to deal with the Yukatan peninsula so that may keep it curbed. Plus, it they are both in the same area the water is churned which will bring up cooler water.

Neither look terribly intimidating. It feels mostly like the spectacle of them being close is the only real interesting part. 

never know how it goes though, so will prep accordingly just in case 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Neither look terribly intimidating. It feels mostly like the spectacle of them being close is the only real interesting part. 

never know how it goes though, so will prep accordingly just in case 

According to this, there have never been 2 hurricanes in the gulf at the same time:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/weather/2020/08/21/only-in-2020--the-gulf-of-mexico-could-have-two-simultaneous-hurricanes-next-week

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.